Anyone ever use this ammo?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by icallshotgun88, Apr 25, 2014.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

Picked up a box of Magtech ammo..
    In 115 grain 9mm just to shoot som paper with..
    I've just never heard of this stuff.
    It was the cheapest brass the LGS had so I thought I'd try it out.:
    Y'all ever try it before?
    Or even heard of it before? ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1398447724.776928.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I bought a bunch of it cheap in 357 a few years back and it shot fine from what I remeber.

3. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

You can google "magtech 9mm ammo review" and find several reviews. Seems OK from a quick read.

Some guns will shoot anything, others are more fussy.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Magtech is the only ammo that managed to get stuck in the cylinder of my 357 Blackhawk. I had to use a 20 penny nail and a hammer to get the empties out of my gun.

5. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I've heard good and bad on them. I know Jerry Mickulek is sponsored by them.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I've run quite a bit of it in 9mm, .45 and now .40. I havent had any problems with it. The last batch of .40 I tried was pretty accurate.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Cheaper because it's from Brazil but not by much. I've shot a lot of it in 9 and 45, no particular problems. It seemed to foul up my 1911 more than UMC did, but I am not positive. Magtech is about the only brand that supplies affordable SWC in 45 ACP.

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have both their Regular Ammo in 9MM and 38spl. I also have their SD JHP rounds. I carry a Sep. Spare Magazine Full

9. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I've shot it several times. Goes bang when it should. good luck

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have used it off and on over the years in various calibers adn guns with no problems. seems to work all right for me.

they also make reloading components as well. i have seen them listed in the MidwayUSA catalog.

11. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i've bought 32 S&W long from them. not impressed, a lot of that yellow sandy unburned powder. accuracy seemed ok though

12. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

MagTech for me has been fine in semi-auto calibers and a miserable failure in revolvers! Strange, I know. The worst was a brand new box of .357 that would fail about half of the time. The revolver that I was using had NEVER failed to shoot Winchester, Correct-Bon, Hornady...nothing! I bought another box to see if it was a bad lot and 1/3 didn't fire. I gave up on them as revolver ammo, but still have no problem with autos. :)

13. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal New Member

I have used it quite a bit without any issues.

14. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I went through about 10 boxes of Magtech .38 with no problemo.

15. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Good to hear the responses as I just picked up 300 rounds of it in .40 S&W at the LGS with a verbal return it if ya don't like it promise. Going to find out first hand this afternoon.:D

16. DrFootball

So? How did it go?

17. levelcross

levelcross New Member

All 300 rounds went off just fine, no complaints at all. This was the first time I had seen this brand on the shelf and figured what the heck. I played kick the can for a few hours with old soft drink cans and milk jugs. Scored way more hits than misses 288/12 :cool: @ about 20'.

18. DrFootball

Outstanding....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

19. DrFootball

I only thought it was "Strange" because I never saw a blue Box from them In That shade. I have seen 2 tone Dark Gold and Black, and their SD Ammo comes in a Dark Blue Blister pack (used to be 12-now 10 Pack!) or very pricey 50 Rd DK. Blue boxes..I think somewhere I pd. Like $38 for 50,.. More recently, 158 Gr.LRN 38 Spl. Was $16 a box! But dropped to $13 this most recent buy. I'm finally seeing PMC's again at normal or close to it prices as well.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

20. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I've used it in different calibers.
    The .45 ACP seemed okay.
    The .38 Super was a little hot and the primers exhibited what I would call signs of over pressure.