Anyone ever had any experience trapping before?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by HotFudge, Jan 4, 2012.

1. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

My brother works does environmental work (water testing and s***) for a mine company, and he says beavers are a big pain in the ass up there, damming runoff creeks and crap. I was wondering how hard it would be to set a couple traps in season and maybe bag a couple and sell their pelts.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I would find out what the laws are, first.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You would have to check the laws in your state. Some areas may be closed to trapping or trapping certain animals. Might be risky if you don't know what you are doing and and kill an animal that might not be legal in your state (say maybe an otter). Many states require a trapping license and a small game license. Conibear traps are around $25 each. I found trapping enjoyable when I did it in the frozen northland(Minnesota).

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Its a great way to learn about animals and their habits. I would look into the laws and such first though. As to trapping beavers-he better be prepared to get very wet and cold.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

They are not that hard to trap, used to trap a lot when I was younger.....

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

No they arent hard to get. They are dang sure alot easier to catch than say....yotes. but the catcher will get very wet and cold if they are running the traps wo a boat.

7. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I used to trap coyotes and raccoons. My friend did the water animals, beaver and muskrats. Usually it is a leg hold trap on land and a body trap like the conibear for water. Basics for both are to find where they are, where they travel, and set your traps without leaving much of your scent and sign.

Look up the regs for your location and contact a wildlife management officer for some ideas, they are usually eager to assist.

8. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Learn from a Pro.

The most economical (time and money) method is to seek out instruction from the guys that do it for a living, to fast track learning effective trapping teniques that produce results in your area is to attend a trapping clinic hosted by your States DNR and Trappers association.
    This way you know and understand the general rules of what you need to do with a minimum of mistakes and wasted money on products and methods that are unsuitable in your area.
    I'd suggest contacting your states Fur Trappers Association and find out when the next trapping clinic in your area or a area near you or even a adjoining state.
    they will be showing you diffrent ways and whats the easiest or most effective in your particular area,effective beaver trapping methods differ from region to region for example trapping in Arkansasand Missouri is diffrent than Trapping in Upstate New York, and both diffrent than what is taught in Alaska.
    West Virginia Trappers Association

West Virginia Trappers - Education

Beaver Trapping Tips - How to Trap a Beaver
    http://teora.hit.no/dspace/bitstream/2282/326/1/Faunanorvegica2.pdf

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Great advice. Also know that what works in one area prob wont be the same say 10 milrs away. Its always something a little different in every local and set.

10. oletrapper

oletrapper New Member Supporter

Nuisance permits.

If the beavers are causing problems with the mine operations, the owner of the mine should be able to acquire nuisance permits to get them out of there. The local game warden should be able to assist in that. In season or out of season. Fur is basically worthless however if it is not prime. (winter pelt)

11. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I used victor traps they were a tad stronger than say a coinbear of same size like a good ol #7

12. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I only messed with the conibears when I was with my friend. I always used #2 double spring leg hold traps. Staked them to steel posts driven into the ground. I used coyote urine to draw them to the traps. Sometimes it would bring a nosy raccoon too close and I would get them too.

13. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I would only use the victor leg holds, for fox an coyote I would dig down just enough to cover trap it was placed in a group of yuccas about the middle to prevent them from gettin the chicken I used behind the trap for bait. The worst was the damn skunks, or when u came up on a trap that had a huge circle dug around it an a pissed off badger dug into the yuccas. Oh the good ol days huh. But the conibear traps were good quality tho

14. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Conibears of 330 size here (IN) have to be under water.
    Buddy had beavers ringing some $$$$ trees on his place, DNR came out, saw the damage and told us to have at 'em (nuisance- out of season).
    We just shot them. Still a few around, but numbers way down, and they never built the dam back after the next door farmer blew it up.

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I thought leg hold traps were illegal. I guess not, huh?

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

No they arent. The ones with actual teeth are for most uses though

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

17. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

Make a small break in their dam, set a trap there or stake it out. They'll here the water leaking out and will come to stop it within an hour