Anyone ever get burnt out on the whole gun thing?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sputnik1988, Feb 26, 2012.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Just feel like putting them in the safe and not even looking at them for a few months.

Not sure if its too much exposure or what, but I don't enjoy them like I use to.

Any thoughts?

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Burnt out on guns, no. Burnt out on other things that I enjoy, yes. Taking a 2-4 week break every once in a while can somethimes be a good thing. I'd give them a rest for a couple weeks then take them back out and see how you feel then. If you still feel like you need a break, give them a rest for a little bit longer.

3. Car54

Car54 New Member

I'm not tired of guns, but I stopped buying parts and building, and that put me in the dumps a bit. Then I went on my first hog hunt, wow, picked me right up. Now I'm constantly looking for the opportunity to hunt hogs.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I often get very enthusiastic about things then it ebbs. I don't let it bother me and don't let it bother you. Those guns will sit there and wait for you. I wouldn't worry about it. You don't have to think, live and breathe your guns to appreciate them and like them.

5. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I got on the slight side of boredom with guns when I got out of the military. I did not shoot or own a gun for 25 years. I actually wanted to get as far away from guns as I could. Then 911 shifted a change and I was dumped into the security industry where guns were part of the job.

Within a month of being around the most ignorant and novice gun totters I could ever imagine, I was required to get a CCW to continue my employment. I had to buy a gun and carry it to keep my job. It seemed the thrill of guns was returning. I knew more about guns than any twenty of those idiots. To keep the thrill at its highest level I began purchasing a lot of guns.

Over time, and to maintain the thrill, I decided to get rid of all my mixed brand guns and focus on one brand. I now have a family of firearms; the family is Hi-Point. I have been able to keep interest in firearms by associating with one brand. I now own every handgun manufactured by Hi-Point.

What makes this adventure even more exciting is the tremendous support I get from Hi-Point. Hi-Point cares about my new guns just as much as I care about their guns. And, because of that tiny fact, I was able to keep the thrill of guns from dying.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I put my guns away in the spring for a few months...Maybe only shoot once a month or so...Then I get the Trigger-Finger Blue's and have to go shooting again...It's good to stay sharp and shoot-targets year around....The bad-guys don't give you a second chance.....

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Holy cow!.....

8. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

Sometimes I have to step away because only focusing on one thing gets boring, but then I come right back (usually within a week) and I have a new found excitement about them. If I ever get to bored, I start looking at my next purchase. The search for a new gun always excites me, and even if you don't get one, you gain more knowledge and more enthusiasm for guns, or whatever your hobby is.

9. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

Losing interest in something you enjoy is usauly a sighn of depression and maybe you should look deeper into why you have lost interest. I have did this myself before and just lost a interest in about every thing when I was unemployed.I suggest you let them sit a while like others have said and ask your self what you are interested in right now and if the answer is not much then your not burnt out on your guns just to dpressed to enjoy them.

10. sputnik1988

Well, I actually am unemployed at the moment. I was sure I would be back to work by now, but its tough. I think that you could be right. I've been out of work since the fall and it may be taking its toll.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm sure it is. Keep your network of friends tight, and try to keep doing the things you know you love. Don't make it into a chore. See a doctor and get some help if you need it and you think it may be depression.

12. sputnik1988

Thanks guys, I don't think its serious, just frustration and boredom.

I also have one of those friends that can only be tolerated in moderation, he's obsessed with guns and thats 75% of what he talks about. He's also unemployed so he's driving me nuts, lol. That could also be adding to it.

13. Paperpuncher

Paperpuncher New Member

I had to put them down for a bit. I went to an indoor range about six weeks ago a wasn't feeling well, and the smoke and fumes made me worse. I got a horrible cough, body aches, fever and chills. It turned out that I had pneumonia which I have since kicked. Well I can't get over how bad I felt after shooting and have lost my trill for shooting a bit.

14. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Sounds like you need to go in for a check up. Not wanting to shoot must mean something is wrong.

15. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

I think you just summed up your name Winds Of Change! :)

16. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I am not as excited about shooting as I used to be because of all the Rambo wannabes that keep showing up at the range and other shooting areas. I really enjoy shooting and actually find it to be relaxing. I am interested in improving my marksmanship and the wannabes seem intent on trying to show it is all about firepower, not accuracy. Many of them somehow have the belief that wearing camouflage will make them shoot better and be more formidable warriors. I like to do rapid fire shooting also, but I try to make each shot count. I love shooting my match M1A but I don't just spray bullets. I am more interested in hitting targets 100 yards away or more. I am getting tired of these guys drinking beer while they shoot then using the empty cans and bottles for targets. This doesn't happen at the range but I have seen it out in the dessert, where they are trashing the whole area. They give gun owners a bad name.

17. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

I got a buddy like that. He always liked guns, but now he wants to be a cop and goes around open carrying all the time. Wonders why I don't. Doesn't understand that I DON'T WANT ATTENTION!

I wouldn't say I get burned out, but I hardly touch a gun from about March to October. Even then it's not that I really want to go shoot, that just when then hunts are. I get so busy in the summer breaking horses and running cows and hauling hay and what all else I just don't have time. Once in a while I'll grab my rifle and try to shoot, but more often than not when I get a chance to get up to the mountains and relax I forget taking a gun.

But every year about November I start to get into it again. Try to go rabbit hunting and trying to improve my long range rig. Got out to 600 yards so far.

So ya, kinda burned out, kinda forget about it. But it's like riding a bike. You never totally forget.

18. steve666

steve666 New Member

Make haste to the nearest Emergency Room, you are deathly ill.

19. Gator45

Gator45 New Member

This whole thread
    is Blasphemy.
    Burnt out never, too
    many things to shoot
    and fun to have.

20. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Due to my other hobbies I never really get burned out. In the winter I shoot a lot more because in the summer I am fishing. I still shoot in the summer, just not as much.