Anyone else notice ammo prices.

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by mopowerbmx, Jun 15, 2014.

1. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

I was at Walmart today and noticed some price changes. I found that the norm on 223 and 5.56 was about 1.00 cheaper, and they had 9mm zQ ammo in the bulk $100 less tan before.it was $399 a Thousand to $299. What's up????

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

There has been some chatter on the interwebz about a possible ammo price drop, some say crash.

Pistol ammo is more readily available, so either the panic buyers have stopped paying outrageous prices to re-sellers or manufacturers are cranking it out faster.

3. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

I've seen 9mm and 223---556 so far. Not by much. But I have also seen something about glut and it will crash soon. That powder is going to start getting hard to get.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Ammo manufacturers base their production figures on last years sales. If manufacturers produce ammo to meet last years demand we should see $8 a box 9mm again in a few months. Many people stocked up on ammo at inflated prices. You have to consider all the ammo people bought in heavily populated states in the Northeast that won't buy any ammo this year in state. They will wait until they are out of ammo to drive to a free state to get ammo.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  5. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Well, they may have over manufactured to meet the demand, and when the demand slowed they have to lower the price.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

any drastic drops in ammo prices is good for the consumer and will hopefully help starve out the price gougers.

i reload most of my ammo with the exception for 9mm and 223, but did buy some factory ammo simply to shoot and have fresh brass for reloading.

if ammo prices drop back to a reasonable level, i will start back shooting my 9mm pistol an my AR a little more. i will also probably buy up other ammo for fresh brass for reloading as well.

7. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have not gone out and about, since the last time at the range on the 7th June. Will do a check this week!

8. ICleanBrassWithJager

ICleanBrassWithJager New Member

They musta known you were coming

9. priell3

priell3 New Member

I watch prices and buy from freedommunitions.com. The prices have dropped drastically over the last several months.

Right now, 500 rounds of 115 grain 9mm remans are $102.25.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Market correction. People aren't currently panicking and hoarding. Gun sales are down by 7.5% this year as well. Once I see lots of 9mm and .22LR on the shelves at pre panic prices, I'd say the market is back to normal.

11. roughneck266

roughneck266 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

This, along with the fact that Summer is an inherently slow time of year in the firearms industry. Now if we can just get 22 LR to drop to reasonable levels..

12. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Capitalism at work. The glass is only "half empty" :)

13. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Half full if you are an optimistic

14. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Except for .22 ammo the ammunition crisis is mostly over. There is actually a glut of certain calibers.

15. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I can pick up all the .223 ammo I want at pre-panic prices. Have been able to do so for months.

9mm is still a little hard to find. Easy if you're looking for SD rounds, but range fodder can still be uncommon. Still, I pick up a box here and there where I can.

The only thing, aside from .22, that is scarce are bulk packs. Still not seeing a ton of anything in large bulk. There are plenty of Russian spam cans, but other brands are still just starting to show up on the shelves.

16. toppywa

toppywa New Member

Hi .. I'm here in Australia.. .22 and .22 mag are getting scarce over here ..plenty of centre fire at this stage

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Stock up while you can get it at decent prices. I can find and shoot 9x19 cheaper than 22 mag. 9mm is as low as 20 cents a round. It does not pay to reload for that. That is why I want a 9mm single shot rifle. I would not mind a PC9 or Camp 9 but they are scarce and pricey. Not too hot on the tactical style carbines. 38spl still pays as it is running about 28 cents and up. I do have H&R rifle for 38/357.

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Ammo availability in certain calibers has ebbed and flowed over the last few years. Those of us who have many calibers have been able to make do and find something to use but this problem with 22LR is getting very old now. I built up a large supply over the years but will be running on fumes if things don't look up.

19. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015