Anyone do this?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Jsnakehouse, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

Hey guys. As i wrote in my introduction i only have use of my left arm due to a stroke i had when i was three (no use of my right). so when i am holding up a rifle i put it against my left shoulder, but the only thing is, i cant close my right eye without my left eye closing as well. I think it has something to due with my stroke, but anyway has anyone ever done or seen someone else wearing an eye patch over one of there eyes when shooting a rifle?

Thanks Guys!

2. unclebear

unclebear New Member

my great grandfather had something (I don't remember what) that happened to his eye he was blind in his left eye and couldn't blink with the eye either he always wore an eye patch... still was a pretty damn good shot.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I've seen shooters that blacked one lens of their shooting glasses.

4. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I've seen all kinds of gimmicks used by competition shooters to block vision from one eye without having to close the eye lid. Let your imagination run with it.

5. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

You have to do what works and go with what you have. I am not sure why but I have never been able to close only my left eye while keeping my right eye open. I can close only my right eye. I am right-handed and remember having trouble shooting rifles because I could not line up a sight picture. In Army basic training a drill instructor observed that I had this problem and had me shoot left-handed. Shooting left-handed worked very well for me and I have shot this way ever since, for the last forty years. Shooting left-handed also allows me to use my stronger arm to hold the rifle steady.

6. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

Ok so this is not that uncommon then, thats good to know!! I will just have to try different things and see what works best. thanks again to everyone who has been so helpful with my questions!!

Thanks,
    Jeff

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Howdy, Jeff! My former boss was a hemiplegic- his right side (injury to spinal cord as infant)

The eye dominance thing, as folks have said, is not uncommon with a LOT of shooters. You can do the pirate thing (funny hat and parrot optional) or try some simple things, like this-

eye_dominance.jpg

8. spack762

spack762 New Member

Im right handed, but left eye dominet. What i used to train my self is simple and cheap. On my shootin glass i used Scotch tape on one eye. It blurse the sight, but leaving enought sight not to trip.

9. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I have always shot w/ both eyes open. I thought that was pretty much normal.
    cottontop

10. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

great ideas guys! I didnt know that there were so many people who couldnt close one eye and have the other open. Thanks for all the ideas, they all seem like they would work just fine. As usual im going to have to eliminate till i find one that works best for me.

Thanks!
    Jeff

11. spack762

spack762 New Member

Keeping both eyes open while shooting is sometimes easyer said than done for those of use we are oppestie eyed from our hands. Try shootin with your weak eye. ;-)

12. xXtacticalrimfireXx

xXtacticalrimfireXx New Member

Yes its mainly used by military and police officers to keep both eyes open to increase your field of vision and prevent strain in your dominate

(remington scoremaster a.k.a "squirrelmaster")

13. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I always shot both eyes open, on everything. Didn't know any better.
    But I'm super right eye dominate (have Brown's Syndrome on left).

14. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

so i went shooting this weekend and i blacked out the right side of my shooting glasses. Well it worked great, got some looks when i walked into the shooting range but whatever i dont care. But i just used black electrical tape and completley covered the right side. Anyway guys thanks for all the suggestions!! I will have to try some of the others as well!

Thanks!
    Jeff

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

Glad it worked out for you! I'm always happy to hear success. If you want to avoid funny looks, you can try just spraying the inside of the lens with black spray paint, it won't look quite as funny.

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Just remember- remove the parrot from the shoulder and the eye patch when leaving range! :p

Glad that worked for you

17. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

I think that i might spray paint the lens instead of using tape, make it look like i got it that way, maybe.

Thanks Guys!
    Jeff