Anyone carry one of these?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by GoBlue, Aug 2, 2010.

1. GoBlue

GoBlue New Member

Does anyone carry a Ruger LCP? What's your thoughts on this gun?

I'm thinking of getting one for my wife as her primary weapon as she's a fan of small guns. A J-Frame seems big to her.

I also wouldn't mind having one for certain occasions.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Did you do a search on the LCP? There a quite a number of folks who have them and have said some good things about them.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Don't think I've seen any complaints about them other than the round is too small. But everyone is going to have a differing opinion on that one way or the other.

4. utf59

utf59 New Member

I've never owned one, but I have shot one. It's not something you want to spend a lot of time with at the range.

A Sig P238, on the other hand (I've never owned one of these, either, but I have shot one) is much smoother.

But if the LCP is just for carry and small amounts of practice, it will serve her well.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

utf59 shot my daughter's Elsie Pea and he is being very kind. His hands are the same size as mine and shooting this little autoloader is a real pain in the azz! It's not hard to shoot, control or hit the target but...........it's just not fun to shoot. Kinda reminds me of shooting any .40S&W. It's not a all day gun. I think we may have run a total of four mags when we went on to the S&W 29. Now that was FUN and IMHO, more comfortable to shoot than the LCP.

My daughter loves it (me thinks for the pink) but runs mag after mag with no complaints. I'm glad it's her's.

It's a small gun, did I say small?? It's truly micro.

[​IMG]

Here it is using my Browning HP for scale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To keep it from rotating while in your pocket I recommend a holster.

[​IMG]

Goes bang every time I've pulled the loud switch and has had zero FTF and FTE issues.

It's canebrake approved for CCW but for a gun to take to the range for a day I'll take a pass and pack my .44 Rem Mag.

It's a chick gun, (no offense RSG) but I will throw it in my swim trunks if I need to carry on the beach or walk the dogs.

Now for you, get Elsie Pea's big brother, the Elsie Ahrrrrr. (LCR)

Loaded with .38 spl +P's and a clip draw it weighs <1#. It's what I carry in the 90º/90%+ days here in Southern Florida.

And if you want the same size but go heavy, the LCR is now available in .357 mag.

This revolver has the sweetest DA trigger I have EVER pulled!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

The wife is carrying the LCP, she loves it. She also has the LCR and loves it too. I would use it as a backup to my regular carry pistol, without a second thought. Great little pocket pistol.

7. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

I love mine,as stated it's not a range gun but tucks nicely into any front pocket.

8. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

I like the LCP and the LCR. They have been great for me but like Stalkingbear says take her and let her get a feel for one she may like. Here is a picture of mine.

Attached Files:

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Someone seems to have a bit of a Ruger fetish.

10. RevDerb

RevDerb New Member

I carry an LCP in a pocket holster about 30% of the time when I need a more discreet carry. As has been said, it is not a fun gun to shoot but I usually put a mag. through it when I go to the range just to keep in touch with it. Be sure that your wife tries to rack the slide when she goes looking. That has been the drawback to a lot of women because it take a good deal of hand strength. ymmv,;)

11. judgepw

judgepw New Member

Ruger LCP

I have one and carry it a lot. However, it's far from my favorite gun. It's no fun to shoot and, as pointed out above, it is very hard to operate the slide. Some women simply can't do it. It has no safety and no hammer. She may want to look at the Beretta .32 Tomcat(dbl action with outside hammer and safety).

12. utf59

utf59 New Member

The slide is difficult to manipulate, and the trigger pull is pretty heavy. The recoil seems stronger on the LCP than other .380s I have shot because the grip is so thin. The force of the recoil is focused on a small portion of your hand. Of course the thin grip is what makes it attractive to those with small hands.

My wife has a Walther PPK/S. That's probably a bit big for the OP's wife if she thinks a J-frame is oversized. But my wife can rack the slide and shoot it well, so it's perfect for her. Plus, she's a James Bond fan, and the newer ones (including hers) are built in her home state of Maine.

The PPK/S is also a DA/SA, so follow-up shots are quick. The DA trigger pull is pretty strong, but incredibly short! The felt recoil is pretty light, but it's an all-steel gun.

Letting her try some rentals seems like the best idea. Then she can decide for herself based on experience.

13. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I carry one every day in an ankle holster. It collects alot of lint and dust. I have notice it has failures to feed when it is dirty. I have a friend that has had the same experences with his.

14. Jess

Jess New Member

I carry a XD in 9mm instead, 3in subcompact. very teeny but not freakishly so. i'm a size 6 and I can conceal it on my person. Smooth as snot to shoot. and will carry the oomph I require in a pistol.

15. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

LCP has become my everyday carry due to it's tiny size and light weight. So comfortable... I usually carry in a small inside-the-pants clip-on fabric holster at about the 1:00 position... Two (6-rd.) mags in a soft fabric side-by-side pouch go in my pocket. (Yesterday I ordered a 10-rd. mag to try out.) I'm totally happy with the LCP. I have and like bigger guns but don't enjoy lugging them around. I'll sacrifice some stopping-power for ease and comfort. It's about that simple.

16. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

I almost always carry my lcp or my p32 as a last resort weapon, either on my ankle or in a pocket holster. Both are deadly realiable and great carry guns. I prefer to use them as backup guns though instead of my one and only carry.

17. cbw

cbw New Member

I really like mine and I carry it all the time! Hard to shoot, "bunch of Pansie's" I can run 200 rounds through her and I'm fine. Ya, I know she was there but that's the POINT! The LCP just makes it to easy to carry!

18. Murfdog

Murfdog New Member

Shot one NO THANKS!Just to small I'll keep my H&K P2sk

Murfdog

19. Freedom-1911

Freedom-1911 New Member

Nope. That and the Kel-Tek are just not good fits in my hands.
    I have a Diamondback 380. I can actually shoot it. KTs and their clones I can't shoot for crap.
    [​IMG]

Lots of people complain about them but I have found that any problems I have had are either ammo related or is me related.
    Once I found some good ammo to put through it and had some time behind the trigger with it, all issues have vanished.
    My brother and sister have KTs and I have all kinds of problems with them. Grip is all wrong, the gun just does not fit my hand properly. the DB380 is a much better fit.
    Try renting one if your range rents pistols.

20. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

So now I have my 10-rd. mag (10+1) from Pro-Mag:

[​IMG]