Anyone ALL 22lr?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by TNFrank, Dec 29, 2012.

1. TNFrank

TNFrank New Member

So, is anyone ALL 22lr for all their firearms? I just wonder if someone uses them for CCW/EDC, plinking and target shooting, home defense and hunting(small game of course) and all their other needs?

2. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

No, just plinking or getting the wife to the range with me.

3. TNFrank

TNFrank New Member

So, anyone else?

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Do a lot of target shooing and small game, but not legal for a lot of game (birds, deer) and way to light for CCW/ HD.

5. IDVague

IDVague New Member

No, not even close. But it is the most expended round by far. I enjoy my .22's a lot and they are obviously the most economical to shoot. When I look for a good shooter at a gun show or gun shop, I usually gravitate toward the .22's. I have a few on my wish list right now as a matter of fact.

6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Nope. I was in the market for a 10/22. Well I still am but I bought some time. Everyone needs a good .22. I was going to use it as a back up to my AR if shtf. Plus it will help save my .223/5.56 ammo if Shtf. Went to academy 2 weeks ago to see what they had. As I thought no 10/22. Called all my LGS the other academy and the bass pro. All I found was a mossberg 702. I know its not a good reliable well built gun. But for $129 I dint hesitate. Going to pick up some 25rnd mags and a cheap red dot. That should hold me over till the prices drop and they git a good stock of guns.

I also have a marlin 60. But I wonted something with detachable mags for shtf.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a lot of 22lr firearms and spend a LOT of time shooting them but they arent good for defensive purposes. if its all i got i would use it, but its just not a good idea.

if your thinking about shtf you might consider a suppressed 22lr pistol very very very quiet game getter. less noise signature than most crossbows.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I practice with .22 lr, often. It is a lot easier than .45 ACP, or 9mm.

9. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i like 22. and my marlin .22 magnum bolt action is a bad Assss gun i would use it for home defense it went threw steel

10. TNFrank

TNFrank New Member

22 Mag moves you to an entirely different level IMHO. Of course ammo prices for 22 mag are on par with some of the center fire rounds so you lose the cost savings.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have six 22 rifles and two pistols. No I don't carry one every day but I guess I could. Seems a waste of the other neat handguns I have though:D

I honestly don't think I can have too many 22's I love shooting them and you can't beat the bang for the buck. I don't think it makes the best carry round but if that's all I had then I'd sure as hell do it. I really don't think there is a best round for EDC though so I always advise those asking to use what they shoot best. Things like capacity don't mean near as much when you can consistently hit your target where you want (or need) to hit it. A 45ACP does no one any good if they can't put the round where it needs to be. Same can be said for a hi-cap 9mm. Who cares how much ammo you're carrying if you can't shoot it well. So I say shoot what you shoot best. In the real world in most situations where a handgun is needed time is REALLY SHORT. And cover might not be readily available. So one should be 100% confident they can put the first shot where it needs to be.

12. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

While I shoot more .22lr than anything else, I keep my firearm portfolio diversified.

13. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I wold love to have a PMR 30. Loaded with some PDX1.

14. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

So far I have only a 22 rifle. Plan to add a 22 hand gun and another 22 rifle to the mix. Thinking of getting a 9mm for home defense though.

15. hutchinsonkw

hutchinsonkw New Member

I only have 22lr rifles, so far. I enjoy shooting them and I bow hunt. I do not need a larger rifle. The ranges around me only go to 200 yards but I am fine for now at 25-100 yards. Plus where I live you can not hunt with rifles due to the population. I do plan on getting a 12ga for skeet and trap shooting though.

16. Glockluster

Glockluster New Member

i love my .22s for target and taking my girlfriend and others who aren't too familiar with firearms out shooting. I just picked up a m&p 15-22 and have a blast with it. However when it comes to EDC i have my glock 19 for that and home defense i have a cz75 in 40s&w.

17. semperfi666

semperfi666 New Member

This the S&W M&P 15-22 and the gsg 5-22 the both are great guns

Attached Files:

18. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

An all .22 stable is just an illogical gun owner.

Im only rocking 10 calibers, and its nowhere near enough

19. Colby

Colby New Member

I've been thinking about the practicality of 22lr - even for defense. It is such a useful round - cheap, soft recoil, good distance. It teaches you fine long distance shooting skills out of a rifle - wind compensation, drop, ... generally teaches you ballistics well - if you are to become able to shoot well at a distance.
    Handguns... I've seen people who are good with handguns in general make some extraordinarily long shots, consistently, with 22lr. Very impressive!
    It's a fun, capable, instructive round.
    Self defense - I've pondered that, too. A light shooting gun spitting out a lot of lead would deter most bad guys out there. Heck... just producing a gun would deter most.
    I used to scoff at 22lr for defense. I'm swaying ...
    More 22lr's are in my future.

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

a 22 mag would make a great SHTF rifle. You can easily carry a good supply of ammo. It has enough power to take larger game with a well placed shot. Not much of a muzzle flash. You could harass your enemies all night long. The 22 mag is the weapon of choice for the ultimate survivors, the Inuit Indians (eskimos). Other than rabbits there is nothing small for them to shoot. Yet they make around 75% of their kills with the first shot.