Anyone a Freemason?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by indy36, Aug 4, 2014.

1. indy36

indy36 New Member

I'm an EA now. Working on FC.

My Grandfather was York Rite Mason. My Uncle is York Rite Mason. My other Uncle was a Shriner. My wife's Grandfather was a Mason.

I'm 42 years old and it finally became something I wanted to do. I'm the only one amongst my friends that is interested.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, there are several brothers here. My Blue Lodge is Metropolitan #11 in Richmond VA.

3. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

MM AF&AM.

#1401 John Mitchell lodge. Hitchcock, TX.

E-DUB

4. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Good.....Maybe one of you guys can tell me what goes on in there. My Dad tells me its just a bunch of old farts hiding out from their wives. Unless your 4th degree something , even members dont know squat. But he isnt a Mason, so im not sure how he would know..My Grandfather on my Mom's side was a Mason, but i never got the chance to ask him about it. I know it goes way back to the Knights Templar, and many of our Presidents were members of skull and bones...............................? any info appreciated. This is an interesting subject...I'm going to do some research..............

5. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

From most I know, The Masons are a very good org. I had a family friend try to get me to join years ago but declined because Ive never been very good at clubbing.

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

LOL

Yeah, how do you expect to add members when you're so secretive? I know basically nothing about the Masons. What little I HAVE heard is not all positive, and most of it is weird, but I have no doubt that most of it is also rumors, and not necessarily true. Either way, I have no desire to join a club who doesn't want to tell me outright what they're all about. ALL about.

IMO, though, any group that is that secretive has to have a fair amount of whack-jobbery involved.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

When I started contracting I got a job painting a masons lodge. I have never seen a crew of men so motivated to finish a job. To the uninitiated a masons lodge is a spooky place.

I left home at an early age. Many of the men that "adopted" me were masons. If it wasn't for the things they instilled in my mind I would have squandered my winnings instead of investing for my future. It very hard for a young man to understand when you are winning a lot of money gambling that the income is not going to keep coming in.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I am certain of one thing, the Freemasons are an old club with some pageantry and no power to steer world events. I am sympathetic because they are always hated by nazi dictators and mullahs.

9. WebleyFosbery38

An elderly friend of ours runs the Widows club, about 30 members last count, men dont live so long as their wives do in Upstate NY, conspiracy theory?

We have allot of funny little clubs in the boonies, FFA, The National Grange, Elks, Owls, Mooses, Oddfellows, Shriners, Daughters of the Revolutionary War, Lions, Ruritains, Legion Sons and Daughters, Legion Riders...

We used to have a group that helped teach boys how to become good citizens, husbands and fathers but they were considered religious fanatics, unsupportive of Gays and secretive. I think they called themselves the Boy Scouts of America or something like that...

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For those that have wondered-
    The Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons (AF&AM, or masons) is a fraternal order (there is a sister branch- Order of the Eastern Star).

Yes, there are limits on who can become a Mason- but not what you might think. You must be a man, freeborn, of good report, and well recommended. You cannot be a fool, a minor, senile, or an atheist- since the oath you take is to God. If you do not believe in God, that oath has no meaning.

We do not discuss Masonic ritual with those not members, but we are not a "secret society"- otherwise, none of us would admit to being Masons. Yes, the internet will give you a lot of information on masonic ritual. No one is asked to become a Mason- if you are interested, you can ask any Mason- but we will not ask you.

While some religions forbid their members being Masons, Masons do not forbid any religion from joining. Members have agreed to aid and support worthy brothers and their family members when they need it.

Yes, I have heard stories of drunken revels at the Lodge. Alcohol is not permitted in Lodge. Have heard stories about humiliation of applicants. Not true.

The current organization goes back to 1717, but followed the pattern of the stonemasons guilds back into the 1400s, and makes reference to the Masons that built Solomon's Temple in Biblical times.

At that time, a trained mason was more than a person that laid brick- the Master masons designed buildings, and oversaw construction. Since Kings wanted the best buildings, master masons were free men, able to travel freely when most could not.

If you want more information, ask a Mason. But I will say that you would find yourself in the company of just and upright men, and if you keep your oath as a Mason, it goes beyond just wearing the ring.

11. WebleyFosbery38

Al Orgs have odd ritual as part of passing on the knowledge of the ages, some are quirkier than others but all do them for reasons that only they can truly appreciate.

Every single Mason I know or have known is a fine upstanding man, all were/ are beyond reproach and very dedicated to God, Nation, their Families, communities and each other. I know they didnt become Masons for a party, they are devout in their following.

When I say I was asked if I would like to join, it was actually me that brought up the subject of the Masons with a long time friend of mine and he said "The Masons would be welcome me to their brotherhood if I was so inclined" or something like that. No straight out asking.

If I were to join an order of any kind, it would probably be one like the Masons that has attracted so many folks historically or personally that I respect so highly. I cant imagine they would waste their time doing anything that wasnt truly remarkable and proper.

12. morgoth

morgoth New Member

13. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

You might want to check into the Anti-Masonic Party. In a very OLD set of encyclopedias, there was a long and detailed account of the events leading up to the forming of this party. Newer sets of Encyclopedia abbreviate the account.
    I found an article on it on the Princeton website here:
    http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Anti-Masonic_Party.html

The article also contains hot-links to more information.

Now, before the local lodge declares a fatwa on me ;), let me say that every single Mason I have ever known was a man I respect, one with very good moral values.

14. big_bad_kitty

big_bad_kitty New Member

Raised 3/1973 Ardmore #31
    Scottish Rite Valley of McAlester 4/1973
    Shriner India Temple 6/1973
    Transferred to Moslah Temple 1987
    Past Master Marietta #102 1976/1977
    DDGM 1978

Looking forward to my 50 year pin! Not as active in the past few years due to raising family and work commitments. Time for that one of these days not too far off. There have been a small few that have not lived up to their obligation. That does not last very long and all Masonic bretheren are ones I am personally proud to say I am one of. They are all good men or they would not be in the organization. Ask a Mason and you will find out!

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Four previous generations (at least) on my Father's, including my Father were Masons. My mother's father was also a Mason. My father died before I was old enough to ask about it. I have had some interest, but have never pursued it.

16. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I spent quite a few years in the Boy Scouts. Got Eagle Scout. They are unsupportive of gays, correct. Teach boys how to be good citizens, yes. Religious fanatics, not really. Secretive, no. Teach boys how to be good husbands and fathers, no.

I rest my case.

17. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

What exactly was the case that you made that can now be rested?

18. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

So what if you're a freemason but you're in prison?.... Are you just a mason?...Do mason's even go to jail, or do they secretly pull the strings with the illuminati?

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have several family members and friends who are Mason's. i thought about joining a few times, but belonging to groups or organizations for the most part just doesn't appeal to me.