Anybody own a Grand Power pistol?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by TheDreadnought, Jul 16, 2018.

1. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought Well-Known Member

After buying a PX4 Storm and loving it, I'm interested in other rotary barrel designs.

Has anybody owned a Grand Power? What's your experience been with it as far as reliability and ergos? Any problems?

2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I am holding out for this rotary barrel to be made in a concealable 9mm pistol.
    Sorry, but I have not shot a Grand Power. You might want to check out Hickock45 to see if he reviewed one. So far, I haven't seen a Beretta I didn't like.
    upload_2018-7-16_16-19-0.jpeg

TheDreadnought likes this.

3. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

Making it concealable is easy, except for the 2KW battery pack. No solar cells for this toy.

4. windjammer69

windjammer69 Well-Known Member

I own a K100 xtrim 9mm that I purchased after owning the Storm. I was surprised by the GP, the fit and finish was better than the Storm. It is more pleasing to the eyes. It also has a better trigger, the pull is lighter and the break is cleaner. The reset is short and eliminates all of the take up for follow up shots. Both weapons are very accurate, with far less muzzle jump, and take it from me ( I only have three finger on my right hand) the recoil is far less than a standard 1911. That gives me far better control with both weapons.
    In all it was hard to build a better gun of this type action, but I believe GP has gone one up on Baretta.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    tazzman55 and TheDreadnought like this.
  5. tazzman55

tazzman55 Active Member

I agree with windjammer. I have an STI GP6 target model with adjustable sight. Good pistol.

6. TheDreadnought

Do you have to stretch your thumb to reach the slide release at all? I’m getting rid of a pistol now because I can’t hit the slide release without shifting my grip, or using my other hand. I have medium length thumbs I would say.

7. windjammer69

I never use what you call "slide release", first it is a slide stop. It is designed to hold the slide open after the last round has been ejected from the firearm. I always pull back on the slide the release the slide stop.
    Also the Grand Power has a feature that when you insert the new mag it releases the slide and chambers a round.
    I find this to make alot of sense as why should it take another action to chamber a round after inserting the new mag.

8. TheDreadnought

The slide release/stop method vs. slingshot really comes down to personal choice.

I prefer the slide release method (I call it that, because that's how its being used) for a few reasons:

- Faster
    - Only requires one hand, freeing up the other one sooner
    - No chance of walking the slide home accidentally under stress

I think some pistol manuals are actually even recommending the slide release approach over the slingshot method now. Beretta APX might be one.

That's good news about the Grand Power. I agree that's a valuable feature.

As far as which method is best. . . I say just use whichever works for you.

9. ratpacker

ratpacker Member

I agree and applaud GRAND POWER for manufacturing.... the slide release @ mag. Insertion .
    My Da/Sa) Beretta 92 S as well as ...my DA/SA) SIG P227 will also send the slide into battery upon "Slamming the magazine into the magwell. In reality it is hammering by hand ..."banging" the mag. Into the pistol.
    I tried this in both, with snapcaps first.
    Slide locked back after last shot from mag. Insert new loaded mag ...in a slapping, thrusting action....sends the slides of both pistols into battery. ( naturally the hammer of each is already cocked back) "Ready on the Firing Line".

10. windjammer69

I might add that the mag slide release only works with a mag that has rounds in it.