Anybody on here own a mp 9c??

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by pistolpacker, Sep 18, 2012.

1. pistolpacker

pistolpacker New Member

Hello everyone

I have been looking for what has now turned into months for a mp shield. And there just aren't any. Occasionally you can find one in .40 but I need a 9. ( arthritic hands and wrists). Plus my hands are small. I know the 9c has changeable backstraps so I don't think the gun would be to wide.

But what about recoil? Do they shoot well? Conceal easy? What can you tell me about them

Thanks in advance

Roger

2. pistolpacker

pistolpacker New Member

3. travelingolfer

travelingolfer New Member

I have both a 9c and a shield and with the small back strap on the 9c is about the same as the Shield. I haven't shot them back to back but there doesn't seem to be much difference in the felt recoil either if you can get a 9c I would do it it's only a little wider and conceals just as easy under a t-shirt. The 3 extra rounds in the 9c is a plus as well ;-)

4. pistolpacker

pistolpacker New Member

Thanks a lot for the reply! I went ahead and bought a 9c. Traded in a keltec pf9 ( that I didn't care for). Can't wait to shoot it. It is a little wider than the shield. But still fits my hand with the small backstrap. Plus I'm gonna like the extra capacity magazines.

5. DirkFugliss

DirkFugliss New Member

Does anyone with large hands own the M&P 9c? I have shot the full size .40 & I really liked the grip. And I held the 9c at a gun show but did not get a chance to shoot it yet. I have large hands.

If you own the 9c and have large hands, what has been your experience in learning/getting used to the gun?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I don't know what you consider large hands but I'm 6'' and I wear large gloves and I don't have any problems with my 9C, I have the medium backstraps on it. It's very accuate and hardly any recoil, great gun IMO.

7. pistolpacker

pistolpacker New Member

The 9c is 1.2" wide. If you needed the large backstrap it does "bulge" it out a little. Noticed it on mine when I was playin around with my backstraps.

8. Bearsdad40cc

Bearsdad40cc New Member

I just bought the 40 cal shield and love it. Shoots great

Attached Files:

9. pistolpacker

pistolpacker New Member

Congrats on the shield! That was my first choice! But I got frustrated and ran out if patience trying to find one so I bought the 9c instead. But after buying it and holding it in my hand, I think it will be fine. Plus I get the extra mag capacity.

10. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I have big paws so the large back strap was a must. If you are used to shooting a Glock it is hard to get accustomed to being smaller, if you are used to a 1911 it will fit like a glove. I had to put a hogue sleeve on it to feel right for a while. And if you call S&W they will send you a free mag extension for the other mag. :)

11. DirkFugliss

DirkFugliss New Member

Got to shoot one at the range this past weekend, but they only had the small palm swell (but it had the mag extension) . I am sure the large palm swell would have felt better.

S&W would send a free extension for the other mag? I am more and more impressed by their customer service the more I hear... thanks!

12. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Dirk, call from a land line as it takes a while to get thru to customer service. Once you have a human on the other end everything is good from there on out. I think mine took 3 weeks to arrive.

13. Donn

Donn Active Member

I've got all three. Full size, Compact 9, and Shield, C9 being the first and still my favorite. Shoots/groups very well, is easy to control, good 2nd shot acquisition and is cheaper to shoot than a. 40 S&W. The "down" side is even with the short mag, it's a little bulky and heavy for summer carry, which is why I got the Shield.

14. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

I have both the 9c and the Shield. Love them both. Both shoot well in my hands. Interestingly, I use the largest grip on the 9c, even though my hands aren't especially large. The Shield fits my hand great, but the 9c points much better with the large insert. Noticeably better than the small insert, which is more like the Shield. Don't really understand that, but, oh well.

The 9c is my "favorite" carry gun, but I have wound up carrying the Shield more than any other. The weight difference is significantly noticeable to me, and the Shield is better for me for summer carry. I typically carry it in a cargo pocket when I'm wearing shorts. We'll see if I go back to the 9c now that it's cooler.

Also, I find that with the Shield, I have no problem also carrying an extra mag. With the 9c, I usually don't carry a spare.

15. DirkFugliss

DirkFugliss New Member

Went ahead and bought the 9c about a week ago and i feel like i made a good purchase. Put 70 rounds through her today and had one round that did not fire. Not sure if that was because of the ammo (remington umc luger 115) .

On this thread i initially asked about other's experience with this compact. I have big hands but I believe I can 'learn' this gun after more trips to the range. I will not 'blame the gun,' and if HICKOK45 can wield a baby glock with accuracy, so can I!!!! Practice, Practice!!

Only down side to my first trip to the range with my 9c is my front sight white dot fell out!!!!! I have read this is a common problem and it's not major for me, but c'mon S&W ... off to the model shop for Testers or I'll have to borrow some lady's nail polish for a second ... it'll be fun explaining that without explaining the 'what for?' Or the CPL!!