Anybody make knives?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by W. C. Quantrill, Jul 4, 2012.

1. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

[​IMG]

I just finished these 2 knives up for my grand daughters,,each in their favorite color.

Gettin a powerful urge to go cut something with them...........

2. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

Nice! I like the handle colors.

3. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

Very nice looking knives. I wish I knew how to do that.

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

well done :)

there are a few members here that make knives (i own a Randy Porter obsidian) and I am sure they would appreciate your work ;)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

WC, those are very nice looking indeed.:D well done!

6. W. C. Quantrill

I will get them buffed out soon, they have to go as gifts in August. Then they will shine!!!

7. papasmurf

papasmurf New Member

Nice knives there w.c.! How long di it take to make them

8. papasmurf

papasmurf New Member

Ive made a few myself, mostly for guttin goblins!

9. W. C. Quantrill

Mike, those are those Jantz blades. The most time is in waiting on epoxy to set. I made those 2 one sunday afternoon.

10. papasmurf

papasmurf New Member

I have made a couple from Jantz and a couple from knifekits.com , Ive been happy with both! Want to make something a little more tactical looking, Think in my three month vacation comming up, after the garage is rebuilt, I will have plenty of time to tinker!

11. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

looks good, should make fine gifts!

12. W. C. Quantrill

Just so everyone knows, Mike (Papasmurf) is an military aircraft painter, and while painting, slipped on top of a wing and took a header off about 8 feet onto the floor and tore out his shoulder, so now he gets surgery to put it back somewhat like it was. So if he gets grumpy the next couple of weeks, we know why. He will return to normal before long.

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I made this from an old file I found where my great great uncles place was. It has a Rockwell C of 63-64 (eek!) so I won't be doing any prying with it. I shaped the blade on a surface grinder, then hand shaped the blade point. Drilling the lanyard hole was the worst hole I've ever drilled in my life, I burnt through two carbide drills with multiple sharpenings. The saw teeth were also done on the surface grinder, with a cut off wheel mounted. I hand ground the finger grooves, blued it, epoxied the micarta handles and brass pins. Final blade length is about 4.5". A friend (ww2 vet) did the sheath for me.

ForumRunner_20120731_100124.jpg