Anybody live in an "earthbag" house?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by orangello, Oct 18, 2010.

1. orangello

orangello New Member

Earthbag Building History

This seems like an interesting way to build a secondary structure like a storage shed or a designated reloading room or possibly a really cool single lane shooting range.

I wonder, how good are dirt-filled bags at slowing down a typical FMJ .223/5.56 round or a typical FMJ 7.62x39mm round?

I do realize it might be a bit damp for this type of building to be very comfortable down here in the dirty South.

*I found the link in a story about how many of the Haitian people left homeless by the earthquake still can't find a place to stay.

2. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Might be a cool way to build a hunting shack. Could just leave it in the woods and not worry too much about it.

3. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Takes "dirtbag" to a whole new meaning......;) :D

4. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

What happens when the plastic bags rot? Would the structure not become unstable?

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I like it. Lots of cool possibilities for low energy use homes.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sandbags (another name for an "earthbag") are really good at stopping 5.56, 7.62, and 122 mm rockets if you use enuff of them! :D

Polypropylene bags don't rot- they will break down from ultraviolet- so you go over them with a topcoat of some kind- adobe, stucco, gunnite, etc.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Yep, the articles i found linked to that seem to indicate that an interior and exterior layer of stucco or something similar is needed to protect from UV and to keep out moisture.

Interesting potential ideas here.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The Hippie on "Dual Survival" lives in a mud hut he built himself, totally off grid. It maximizes solar, etc.

I would love to try one of these types of homes.