Anybody like seafood, or fishing?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vincine, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

As my seatmate, on a plane I was on that almost crashed on landing, had said, “You have to pay good money for a ride like this!”(wind shear)

Maybe one of the sailors can tell me what's going on here? (7 minute video)

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

2. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I don't have Internet. What's the deal? I might be able to explain. (I'm on the app)

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Okay I checked the video out for a few seconds (stupid data usage).

If I had to guess, off the limited amount I saw, I would say it had engine failure and drifted too close to the shore, where the breakers were occurring.

Or the captain was incompetent, took the boat too close and didn't have enough power to get out of something that rough.

4. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Sorry about that. It’s a couple of commercial fishing boats that are really close together, being tossed around like Dixie cups in what looks like 20 to 30 foot swells. I can’t really tell.

5. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Those aren't swells. They look like breakers. There's shallow water under those waves, which makes them build up like that, then crash.

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

What do I know? I’m a landlubber.

Still, they’re in shallow water? I guess they must be. It's videoed from shore. Being in shallow water is a good thing? It looks nuts!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  7. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Yeah. I looked again. Look at the front set of waves, the barrel they're making. There's ground there. Notice the stability of the cameramen, they're most likely filming from shore.

Wind action alone doesn't make swells look like that, and if it did, that guy wouldn't be standing outside his boat, and you wouldn't hear the cameramen talking. All you'd hear is a wind blast over the microphone.

I'd say maybe he was on a reef because those can be a ways out from shore, but look at the color if the ocean, that's silt, you don't find reefs growing in murky water like that.

Coupled with the steady camera angle, he's definitely on the shore, I bet his boats hitting bottom when those breakers toss him.

8. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I don't know. They could be on rocks. Good luck swimming to shore in that crap! If it is rocky, dude will get pulverized if he abandons ship.
    He could easily drown even with a life jacket on in that.
    And if its cold, no one will probably be able to get to him before hypothermia sets in.

Stay with the boat!!!

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

You called it exactly right. Try to see the whole thing sometime if you can get access to the 'net. The ride gets wilder further on. Even with the telephoto effects of distance compression, the boats do look awfully close. Are they under power, or is the bow wake just from the waves, can you tell?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  10. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I'll have to watch the whole thing. The clip I saw, looked like he was trying to get out, but then again, it could've been the ocean tossing him around.
    If he had power, I don't know why he would be standing out on deck like a moron. I'd be in there, making those engines work.

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Not sure, but I think they were fishing for cod or halibut. More than likely cod.Those motors in those boats were working as evident of the heat mirage out the exaust stacks and the occasional billowing of diesel smoke when they were standing on the gas to keep the boat in relative position. I also think the guy behind the camera was using telephoto type lens which screws up depth preception somewhat.

12. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Love Seafood, dont love Boats all that much (sorry Mosin, bless you and your fellow Merchant Marines)! Watching that made my stomach turn! All I can say is you just could not pay me to play in that crap much less work in it. I will stick with normal risk Like High Voltage and cutting, shaking, rotating, chopping and other Mechanicals, much safer!!!

No Ocean cruises in my future, Im staying on solid land!

13. nastyogre

nastyogre New Member

This is what happens when you take an under powered fishing boat and try to cross a river bar during a max ebb tide. They aren't fishing and those engines are working fine. They're just trying to get home. The bad part is they're stuck like that because if they turn around the breakers will flip the boat. If they had waited another 4-5 hrs. it would be relatively calm and the flood would help them. But what do I know. :)

image-1047005165.jpg

image-808158238.jpg

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The blue and white boat appears to be without power. If they had power the the one boat would raise the arms for the nets. It appears that one boat got into trouble. When the other boat came in to offer assistance they got into trouble. The black and white boat had the engines running. The blue and white boat was dead in the water and run aground. You can see the normal water line is out of the water. All we can do is pray they came out of it OK.

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Thanks guys. I just realized the guy on the black and grey boat was taking pictures, without PFD or being tied off!, so perhaps the telephoto is exaggerating the turbulence, but those boats are still rocking & rolling. Or maybe he's just nuts.

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Obviously fishing trawlers, they're not out there for fun.

Maybe they're trying to save a net...