Anybody Into Wet Shaving?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cottontop, Dec 30, 2013.

1. cottontop

cottontop Guest

By "wet shaving" I mean shaving the old fashioned with a double edged razor (or a straight), the thin disposable double edged blades, a mug, soap (or cream from a tube), and a badger or boar's hair brush. I have been shaving this way for a year or so and it is the best shaving ever. Close and comfortable. And it's cheap (economical). Blades are about .08 cents each as compared to a cartridge which may cost several dollars. We all bought in to the cartridge and gel from the shaving companies and they have been ripping us off for years.
    cottontop

2. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The better half says it really itches and does not like it ...! :confused:

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

99% of the time I just shave while I am in the shower using the bar soap for lather and plastic disposable razor.

When I buy shaving cream, I purchase store brand for half price of name brand.

4. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

yep,I do .:) I use a Tweezerman badger brush,Arko soap (it stinks but works great)a Gillette knack DE and Astra blades .100 pack of Astras for around $10-11 on Amazon.Much cheaper than buying Proglides.

5. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I love the smell of Arko soap. But, you either like it or you don't like it. I have a collection of vintage Gillette razors. I kind of rotate them. I have a really nice Red Tip that I had replated. That is probably my favorite, though it is on the aggressive. I mostly used a Tech as it is rather mild, and today I used my Gillette Fat Boy Adjustable set at #3.
    cottontop

6. stratrider

stratrider New Member

The title of this thread got my attention for all the wrong reasons, lol. I still use the disposable double edge blades and edge foam.

7. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

hmmmmmm I haven't shaved since 1976. Wet Dry or otherwise.

8. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I love the old single blade razors cheap blades and still a real close shave but its hard to find the razors blades are still sold around several places around here but the actual units are rare. I have a beard but i shave my neck because if i dont i look like a wookie.

9. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Dad showed me how with one of the old single edge's
    Im like a mach3 these days with some edge lol

10. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Hell.... The woman I'm seeing uses my Art of Shaving pre shave oil, shaving cream, brush, and straight razor to shave her you know what and it's as smooth as a new born baby's butt.

11. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I always preferred to shave her in the tub. So yes.
    Well, you asked. :rolleyes:

Boy, if I don't get in trouble for that, Winds is really hurting.

12. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

yeah,Arko has a strange scent.It reminds me of laundry detergent.I don't mind the scent really.At first I couldn't stand it but now it's grown on me.

13. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I used to shave in the shower-made the hair really soft.
    Then I moved onto the boat. Boy, it really was unpleasant cleaning out the shower sump.
    Now I'm in a house and my eyesight is poor enough that I need those four lights over the sink to see what I'm doing! :D
    Honestly though, I've been shaving this mugg long enough that I can get by a lot of times doing it in the dark, so long as I'm not going to a function that evening.
    I've had barbers tell me they're impressed that I can keep such a straight line.

Oh, I gave up the accroutements of wet shaving back in the late 70s.
    I know they're overpriced but I go all disposable now.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Double edged blades are easy to find on line. I recently bought a 100 pack of Dorco ST301 blades for $8.00 from amazon.com They are pretty nice blades giving me 3 to 4 smooth shaves per blade. Amazon also has many more choices.
    cottontop

15. VoxRomantic

VoxRomantic Member

Hell whenever she asks me to shave her while she is wet, it's all good:)

16. indy36

indy36 New Member

I do. I use a Tweezerman badger brush, a Feather (from Japan) clamshell opening double edge razor, and Taylor of Old Bond Street shave soap. I prefer Almond scent shave soap. I have also used Proraso cream from Italy. It's great stuff. Go to www.classicshaving.com. That's where I get my stuff.

17. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

It's too late for me.
    My face already looks like Roy Campanelas glove.

18. jpo_tx113

jpo_tx113 New Member

I gave up disposables over a year ago. I read that you could get a better shave with the DE and SE razors and that your skin would look healthier, plus it would cut down on in-grown hairs; all of that is true.

Here is a picture of some of my collection. I have a few more SE Gems (with cases) that are not pictured. You'll see one Fatboy and two of the slim adjustables---picked those up for anywhere from $1 to $5. The razor on the metal box is silver plated and was produced around 1910. Back then they used real metal, not cheap plastic. The black Gillette on the far right is a P1 (need a P4, which would make it produced when I was born).

You mentioned a shaving forum. Badger and Blade?

[​IMG]

19. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I always liked shaving this way I used my grandfather's old razor and my dad's, that one has since disappeared and grandpa's would generally cause me to cut myself for some reason. I wish I could find new good quality ones

Sent from my XT1080 using Firearms Talk mobile app

20. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Taylor soap, Thiers-Issard brush, a very old Wade and Butcher razor, and "Russian Red" leather strop.

I hone it on Shapton water stones.