Anybody Here Into Krav Maga?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by CA357, May 29, 2009.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm getting out of shape, pushing sixty and was thinking about pursuing the study of Krav Maga. Do any of you gents practice it, and if so, please tell me a bit about what you like or dislike about it?

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  2. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

I have not done it, Heck never heard of it untill you posted it. I googled it and now I want to do it:D

So someone has to post up that has done or is doing it cause now I am curious.

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I've known alot of people who do krav. Being in the martial arts you get to know all sorts,lol.
    Krav can be a great art or it can suck depending on how it is trained.

I think more than style, the way you train is important.

That is dependant on why you want to train. If getting in shape is your goal, just get p90x and do it. :)

4. CA357

I don't just want to get back in shape, I want the street, or more practical aspects of self defense without a lot of ritual. It seems to me that Krav Maga can provide that. I don't plan on competition or any of that stuff. I want to stay alive.

I'm pushing sixty and I work in the 'hood and I'm in California, so I can't carry a firearm. I work with meth heads, crankster gangsters, parolees and guys on probation daily. Sometimes it can be pretty scary.

We'll be moving out of state at some point. (hopefully by Fall) But for right now, self preservation and practical skills are what I'm seeking. When I was younger, I was a carpenter and considerably more strong and powerful. Usually, that was enough. Those days are behind me now. :eek:

5. Kishido

Kishido New Member

Krav can definitely get you back in fighting shape. I'm 49 and my wife is 55 we both attend class here in Colorado Springs. I have practiced TMA in years past, and find that Krav Maga is simple to learn and based on the idea that there are instinctive movements the body makes under stress and capitalizes on those movements.
    Daily "practice" using bodyweight exercise and kettlebell is a good compliment to the instruction.

Oh and BTW, we have a member of our class who is 75, and the guy kicks some serious a$$. I pity the idiot who attacks him. :)

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  6. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

I started taking Krav lessons about three weeks ago, at 50, it's a workout. Well worth the money though. So far the lessons are pretty simple exercises that have a practical point to them. White grade is mainly to get you in shape and teach basics. Then you move on. We have people in upper grades that train with us, so, we get some of thier knowledge as well.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  7. CA357

Thanks guys. I think I definitely going to pursue it. The nearest school has a "Try it for two weeks free" coupon. It seems like that should be enough to give me a pretty good idea if I want to stick with it or not.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Krav CAN give you the tools to provide those, but it's up to the individual to do the work. The art, no matter what is is is only as good as its practitioner.

There are no shortcuts. If you're planning on leaving in the fall just go to a boxing school and learn good hand skills. Like I said, there are no shortcuts.

What kind of self defense tools can you carry?

9. CA357

If I start to study it, I plan on continuing after we move as well.

As far as what weapons I can carry, this is California. I have a Benchmade knife that is my EDC and a sharp wit.

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Then I'd say go for it. Sounds like your mind is made up anyhoo,lol.

:)

I do like the fact that they utilize weapons in theeir training. Not enough of that imo in most styles.

11. CA357

I didn't know about the weapons part. Thanks for the information gentlemen. I'll check it out. But, I also have to see if I can fit it into a very tight budget. :(

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

If you are ever around my part of arkansawww, the lessons are on me.

We actually teach for free,have for many years, you just have to have the right attitude. Most on this forum fit the bill and are welcome to the same offer.

I had some pics up a while back if you want to check them out. I think you'd like our curriculum.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/few-pics-13340/

:)

Krav demo [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhKjpdWyYMc]YouTube - Krav Magá[/ame]

Good choreography, they should do movies,lol.

karate or krav? human weapon series did a show on krav
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwS1JCP0uTQ&feature=related]YouTube - Human Weapon - Krav Maga - 360 Defense[/ame]

There are ALOT of karate techniques in krav, alot.

The one problem I have with krav is the same problem I have with alot of schools,lack of good hard sparring. It's not pleasant, but you need to know how to take a punch as well as give them. You don't want to find out how you'd react to a hard hit to the face on the d34dly st433ts!! :D

13. Kishido

Kishido New Member

+1 on the hard sparring, I'm encouraging my wife to join in the fracas when she builds up enough confidence in the basics.
    I also encourage many of my friends who carry to get some combative training though many are reluctant, saying they have a gun why bother?
    I even volunteered to train them in basic punches and kicks but the dudes are pretty lazy :)

14. CA357

My wife just saw the videos and says that she might be interested too. :)

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Cool! Tell her she might get the chance to punch you squarely in the face,legally. :D

16. CA357

Oh man, it's bad enough that she's Sicilian. :eek:

17. zhuk

zhuk New Member

I train in TKM twice a week.

(ie tactical krav maga, which is a bit more, uh "brutal" than the ordinary version...started up by Israeli Itay Gil and importantly, tested "in the field" so to speak!) Yes it does matter where you train; some are more inclined to really push you & where I train we do very full-on hard sparring as well. Gotta say it's done wonders for my personal confidence, am sure you & your wife would love it.

And if you live in a sketchy-type area, it's bound to help you feel more capable of defending yourself if the worst came to it. I live in one of those sort of areas, and have no legal recourse to knives/guns for self-defence. Also, it will encourage you to de-escalate if at all possible, and get away from potential danger & how to recognise when that isn't an option.

good video here from a Houston outfit:

[ame=http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-_OBkmSvglUc/the_best_krav_maga_demo_video_period/]The Best Krav Maga Demo Video Period! - Video[/ame]

18. CA357

Wow. That's quite the video. The more I see, the more I like about it. It seems like pretty logical self defense without a bunch of unnecessary style.

19. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Saw the demo, it was just another demo to me with alot of dramatism. Hard to see what they teach or how they teach it from that.

I could take any art and put it into that format and it would look just as good.

20. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

After many decades in the arts, I've managed to discover the ultimate martial art.

Mind you, one has to be pretty free from ego to get a black belt in an art, and then acknowledge that art's shortcomings.

With this style, all you need to do to become a killing machine is follow these steps:

Buy a notebook.

Buy a 6-pack of Dos Equis.

Rent a UFC video.

Now here's the important part:

Pay attention to what techniques are forbidden. If it's too brutal for the Octagon, that is your go-to technique.

Eye gouging, stomping, groins strikes, strikes to the back of the head. There's a reason these techniques are forbidden, and that's because a Pay per view event would last 8 minutes.