Anybody have any thoughts on the CVA Electron?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by vic777, Jan 7, 2008.

1. vic777

vic777 New Member

2. Righteous

Righteous New Member

from what i seen so far they seem pretty kool

3. 1984cj

1984cj New Member

They are a pretty neat idea. However i feel that they should not be allowed to be used for muzzle loading seasons.

But then again I am a crochety old codger who thinks that muzzle loading seasons should be side lock only. :)

4. fluffo63

fluffo63 New Member

just not 4 me..

,,im just ole-fashion im not the (electric spark) type,,thanks:D

5. seedy

seedy Member

I think its a great idea. A few years ago Remington came out with an centerfire bolt rifle with electronic ignition. I never made it commercially probably because it needed a special type of cartridge. Using it in a blackpowder setup eliminates this problem. Maybe if Savage would come out with a muzzle loader that uses smokeless powder with saboted high velocity bullets? :rolleyes:

6. Ed21

Ed21 New Member

Why? IF you want modern, go modern. The progression of new fangled "black Powder" firearms is crap. I don't mind the fact that they exist, I hate the fact that they are passed off as Primitive. That goes for in-lines too! There, you asked for my opinion and there it is. While I’m at it, don’t come back with “If Daniel Boone or the like had them available, he would have used it.” Of course he would have but he didn’t. It’s like showing up at a Civil War re-enactment with an M-16 spouting that if they would have had M16’s they would have use them so M16’s should be legal.

7. fluffo63

fluffo63 New Member

its about time...

:cool: well said Ed21..that was great i dont have to say a word,
    but they are about as primitive as a 30-06 that is what the
    pochers do here in WV, the spark gun,,the inline,,has spoiled
    the tradition of black-powder hunting..there reason for making
    a in-line legal and with even a scope,,on the trap was to
    make it more of a lethal kill..what a joke myself i have taken
    alot of deer with a percushion rifle,its shot placement..
    to every man his on thang-and-bang...LOL:eek:

8. seedy

seedy Member

Sounds like you guys have strong opinions about what primitive hunting regs should be. I would contact your state legislative or fish and game about this. There are a couple of things in play here, one is the respect we have for our forefathers and what they had to do to put food on the table,using the tools that they had availible. The other has to be American inovation which is to constantly improve something that works to make it work better. :confused:

9. Ed21

Ed21 New Member

That's not the point. I'm all for innovation and making life better. Primitive firearm seasons were not established under that premise. The legal and ethical taking of game using firearms of our forefathers was generally accepted as the object. The process, due to politics, has become bastardized over the years. Like I said earlier, I have no problem with the newer inline and electronic firearms. I just do not agree they address the original intent of the season. For that matter, I do not agree with the BP substitutes either. Pre 1840? Pre 1860, maybe. Not later however. A limit should be determined. Establish rules, regulations, seasons, etc. for all of the modern stuff but by no means trivialize the primitive firearm seasons with modern innovations.

10. seedy

seedy Member

I think most people that use blackpowder for hunting do so for extended season and the chance of putting more venison in the freezer. For me thats not an issue since my wife can barely make beef from the butcher presentable. The ethical and legal restrictions on hunting didn't come into being until the end of the nineteenth century when game populations became severley depleted from over hunting. From that time came the birth of the American sportsman. Alas our fore fathers were not conservationists or sportsmen. They hunted for food and survival. Remember the story of the passenger pigeon that was hunted to extinction. Those were the days! Firing into flocks of thousands of birds with 8 gauge double barrel punt guns. Now thats American inovation :rolleyes:

11. Ed21

Ed21 New Member

It's like politics here. I will not change your mind and you will not change mine. Either you agree with me or you don't. No problem! Also, I was not stating that our fore fathers were necessarily using legal and ethical means to harvest game. I was merely saying that as long as what we are using is legal and ethical the arms of our fore fathers are my preferred manner of hunting. Have a good day:)

12. randy

randy New Member

It's the Hunt

Everyone has there opinion & we the People have screwed up in our past.
    Many speice's of once upon a time Hunted animals are no more to be found.
    Time has changed & the Need has changed, in today's world & it should be
    in the Sportsman mind about the Hunt, not the Kill.

13. Ed21

Ed21 New Member

Correct!! That should be a major factor.

14. fluffo63

fluffo63 New Member

..well to every man his own hunt or harvest,what ever neat word you want
    to use???but i myself have not found a good reason for myself to go
    inline,and a scope,and now electric spark,:D :D P.S see that pistol
    in my aviater,,some around these parts dont like that either,but
    cant please them and the deer too...LOL

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  15. carl11acr

carl11acr New Member

Now for me, a 155 round fired out of a M109SP timed for an air burst over the target. Now that’s American innovation:D

16. you_talkin_2_me

you_talkin_2_me New Member

I have come late to this discussion but the use of electricity intrigues me, so I hope someone might give, or refer, me to some basic information about the "CVA Electron."

My question is directed toward using an electrical spark in place of primer, and then what kind of power or secondary would be used after that.

Pardon me if my questions are embarrassingly basic.

yt2m

17. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

18. you_talkin_2_me

you_talkin_2_me New Member

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  19. gunsandoptics.com

gunsandoptics.com New Member

Dan

I think it is one more thing to go wrong when you have a nice buck in your sights. I prefer the 209 primers (vs.) the electric ignition. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have read where some jurisdictions will NOT allow it to be used during black powder season because of the ignition source.

Buy a TC Triumph would be my 2 cents worth. Primers are cheap and they go bang every time, especially so in a closed breech weather proof set up like the Omega, Encore or the newer Triumph. Dan

20. Ed21

Ed21 New Member

1. "I prefer the 209 primers (vs.) the electric ignition. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. " Don't you see the humor in this remark in regards to this thread? "209 primers (vs.) the electric ignition" what about #11 percussion caps vs the 209 primers? What about flint vs the #11 percussion caps? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

2. "I have read where some jurisdictions will NOT allow it to be used during black powder season because of the ignition source." Some jurisdictions tried just this when the inlines came out. Generally did not hold up to politic and the crying and tears of those who wanted to invade the primitive firearms seasons with modern guns.

Again, if you want modern, go modern and leave history, primitive, fore father's firearms, tradition alone.