Firearms Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
I don't do a lot with the civilian market, so I'm not entirely sure what the 'Goofy Buffer Tube' is, or why it's 'Goofy'...
(is 'Goofy' a technical term?:p )

I have three, two are early military designs (Does anyone remember the Rhino Company?) and one is after market.

The two early ones are over 20 years old and have the 'Stepped' actuation rods that mimic the original gas tube, and is a very short piston housing,

The after market has a straight actuation rod and a much longer piston housing.

· Registered
129 Posts
I was kind of wondering why everyone believes the buffer, tube and spring are no longer required when the short stroke gas piston is implemented?

Removal of the recoil buffer spring to a forward position isn't a given, and most I've seen leave the recoil spring in the shoulder stock.

I guess if you were one of the 'Short Gun, Spray & Pray, Hollywood Wanna-Be' guys then a folding stock is OK...
Or even worse, one of the 'Machine Pistol' weenies:eek:

Personally, when I pick up a rifle I want it to have a full, solid shoulder stock, a long barrel, be hyper accurate since I only intend on firing one well placed round at a time,
Usually from 300 or more yards away.

Folding stocks, Lights, Lasers, Bayonets, Vertical Grips, or any other of that 'Mall Sniper' or 'Tacti-Cool' crap doesn't interest me.
That stuff is for cops that have displaced penis envy and pimple faced high school kids that play too many video games...

· Registered
129 Posts
<RANT= ON>
Sorry, I teach rifle marksmanship, and I get tired of the 'Spray & Pray' crowd.

Nothing like teaching women and boy scouts, they usually get it the first time.
It's the cops, and trying to teach recruits in the military for 7 years to actually use the sights and not to try and rely on all that crap gets to you after a while.

It's pretty disheartening to have cops or 'soldiers' sit and bob their heads, agreeing with every thing you say, the go out and act like some 'Hood Rat' with the pistol turned sideways or spraying from the hip with no hope of even keeping the rounds in the backstop...
Too may John Wayne, 'Rambo', and 'Boys In The Hood' movies have rotted their brains!

I can see a carbine stock for entry guys or guys with LOTS of body armor, but Folding stocks? Come on!
Would you trust your life to a guy that had a folding stock?
I sure wouldn't! The only safe place around him would be in front of the muzzle about 25 yards!
Stand in front of the target and you are assured to be absolutely safe!

For crying out loud, our Airborne troops don't even use folding stocks anymore!
Tankers and Hollywood wanna-be's, and I don't think there are many tankers posting here!

<RANT= Off>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.