Firearms Talk banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I own zero centerfire semi auto handguns. I have owned about 50+. I still own 6 centerfire revolvers.
Took we a while to realize I am just not a centerfire pistol guy, most especially not a 9mm guy.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I take my homely, old Model 49 along with the bottom feeders on range day. On the occasion I carry it, and should the worst ever happen, I want to ensure I'll perform as well as the old humpback will.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
913F44BF-88D4-4712-A5AF-79347247633F.jpeg
I fall back on whatever size firearm the situation requires.Its normal to think 5 rnds is only a LRO,but with the right ammo I feel safe and secure regardless of capacity

·
Premium Member
10,992 Posts
Hell, I just picked up another one tonight.

1981 Produced Speed-Six, in .357 Magnum. 2.75 inch, bought by Sportsman's Warehouse in an auction lot, in part for EDC, but also as a project.

Mechanical internals are great, solid lock up, no push off, Soft DA pull, pinky soft SA pull, with a few small rust specks, and in need of a good clean and oil. One of the first .357s I shot, when we lived in NC, that one of the sailors living in my parent's trailer park (One they bought as an investment a year after dad was stationed there), along with his dad's old Security-Six.

And I've wanted one ever since. Especially due to almost no one who has one, ever selling it. I think a few were buried with theirs, when they passed on. Because it seems like the only way you ever find one is, if the owner passed on, and the kids don't want it, trading it for a plastic 9 or .40, one ends up in an auction after sitting in an evidence room, or the last owner wills it to you.

And if you see it in the display case, it usually isn't there long.

And yes, that one was #3, and I still own #s 1 and 2, the Python, and dad's GP100.

Right time, right place, and even at pansemic pricing, a deal I could live with. One more off the bucket list.

20210120_221526.jpg
20210120_221526.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,992 Posts
Can I have it?
Are you willing to drive down from Alaska, and then back through Canada with it? And pay three times what I did?

Been looking for one of the DA Six series Rugers for a few years now, and just never had everything line up right, until we went to Sportsman's Warehouse, to look at last years discounted gear.

Saw this Speed-Six in the case, for $350, and ended up picking up .357 number 9.

Passed up a Security-Six for $400 last year, because as I was lookng at it, someone else came in looking for a 4 inch .357, as their first revolver. Looked at him, and told him to check it out, than asked if he was interested in it. When he said yes, I bowed out gracefully, as I already had the Python my grandfather carried on the NYSP, abd the 4 inch 686 left to me by a friend, who was a SGT. on the Buffalo PD, when he passed of cancer, 20 years ago.

Didn't have a 2.75 to 3 inch one, other than the barrel set for my wife's DW 15, so I filled out the forms, and picked it up.

Make you a deal Freefall. When I die, I'll have the wife ship it to ya. That way you can swear at me, every time you shoot it. :p

·
Premium Member
4,371 Posts
Quite often I carry my S&W Airweight in a good pocket holster when I really want to be discrete (like every trip to Costco), which is easy with cargo pants.

Reactions: kfox75

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
To be perfectly honest, my comfort level is a semiautomatic handgun with a capacity of no less than ten rounds. I won't carry less if I have any other option. in fact I only own one gun that holds less than ten.

Having said that, if three SMEs like Tom Givens, Chuck Haggard and Claude Werner agree that a revolver is a viable (if not optimal ) option I'm going to pay it due attention.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Having said that, if three SMEs like Tom Givens, Chuck Haggard and Claude Werner agree that a revolver is a viable (if not optimal ) option I'm going to pay it due attention.
I'd include Grant Cunningham to your list. He's probably the foremost advocate of the J frame for personal protection.

Reactions: kfox75

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'd include Grant Cunningham to your list. He's probably the foremost advocate of the J frame for personal protection.
But he wasn't referenced in the article I cited at all.

Having said that, he's another one I pay attention to

·
Premium Member
14,202 Posts
I carry my LCR with wadcutters. A gun that weighs 16 oz loaded can be a handful with +P.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts