Anybody else still rocking a j frame or revolver in general?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Chuck Roberts, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Chuck Roberts

Chuck Roberts Active Member

In this day and age, it’s an easy argument to make that revolvers, especially small 5 shot snub nose guns are outdated and not enough for EDC purposes. I certainly can’t disagree with that logic that in this day and time with the civil unrest and violence we have seen.

For myself however, I can’t get away from the j frame as an edc. To me it’s advantages outweigh its known disadvantages.

This can be attributed to, at least in part, to spending a lot of time with it in training and shooting. Being able to consistently pass concealed carry tests such as a 5x5 drill, or make consistent hits on a reduced silhouette target at 50 yards gives one confidence that is vital with a gun of any type.

After 30+ years of carry, my philosophy of use has changed more than once, kind of taking me in a complete circle. From 1911’s, BHP’s, and Glocks with some Sigs, Berettas, and CZ75’s in the mix, I’ve come back to the wheel gun.

For complete comfort, and quick presentation, I haven’t found anything better than a j frame style revolver.

I think another benefit to revolvers in this day and age, is if you are a handloader, you don’t have to chase your brass and can easily keep a steady supply of ammo on hand for cheap practice and carry.

When hollowpoint bullets as a reloading component dry up during shortages like we see today, then a lead semi wadcutter can do just fine for both practice and carry.
    Loaded to 650-750 fps, it’s got plenty of bone braking penetration and is easy on the gun and the shooter, especially with airweight type guns. Lead bullets are easy to get and less than $50 for 500ct.

Ive also got a +p lightweight load consisting of a 110 weight Hornady XTP using the same powder that makes an honest 1042 fps out of the M442 with a 1 7/8 inch barrel. It shoot poa/poi back to 15 yards, and has a satisfying recoil with an even more satisfying bark and flash.

While I’m sitting on my cache of 9mm and 45 auto, I have brought the 4 inch M10 out of retirement also.
    I have a 8 shot M627 Custom ship 357 Maggie, but it’s too big and heavy for edc.

I have thought about picking up another 442/642 LE purchase, and am contemplating the new 2.5 inch M66.
    Those would make a dandy compliment to the j frame in my pocket.

Anyone else sticking to or rethinking the revolvers?

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Chuck
    There is nothing wrong with the little Model 36 Revolvers in 38 SPC.
    I know how easily they can be concealed and with the great ammunition available today they are no doubt effective in the hands of a competent shooter. And great for certain people regard the simplicity of them for most people including the ladies! I carried a S&W Model 66 2 1/2" on my Ankle for years on the Agency for a backup. Although I carried a Beretta 96-F in my holster.
    It was a very accurate, effective and great revolver.

JimRau and Chuck Roberts like this.

3. ramjet

ramjet Member

[​IMG]
    This little guy has been riding the side for the last few months. It’s so easy to pop into my shorts and go. Also, come SHTF....I have a loooong way he from work. And cutting weight is a necessity. 45+ miles. I have speed loaders. And they melt into the pockets as well. Just a great tool and a good power of persuasion if need be.

JimRau, primer1, Sniper03 and 2 others like this.
  4. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Sold my last J-frame about 15yrs ago.

Have often contemplated a S&W Model 60 3" bbl .357, or perhaps a Ruger SP-101 3" bbl .357. Haven't yet "pulled the trigger" on one, though.

As many say, they're fairly easily concealed and carried. Love the basic platform, ease of use, handling. Had a J-frame for years.

I suppose my favorite smaller revolver rig would be the Ruger Redhawk .44, with 4" bbl. More for its balance than anything, though it's larger than the S&W J-frame format.

My only qualm: capacity. Ease of swapping in another 15rds with something like a H&K P30 or Glock G19 is hard to beat, particularly with things as "sketchy" as they are out there.

S&W M60 3" .357:

[​IMG]

5. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Carried a Colt Cobra for years. Never felt undergunned with it. Timing issues made me retire it in favor of a Kahr CW40.

Rifling82 and Chuck Roberts like this.
  6. Chuck Roberts

Yeah, I suppose capacity is always a consideration I suppose, but I keep a rifle handy for those types of scenarios like we see today.

7. G_Whitcomb

G_Whitcomb Member

I used to have one. Sold it to buy a semi auto. Should have kept it. But my favorite current carry gun is my Ruger LCR. 38spcl +p and is so light and compact,easy to conceal and shoots very well. I’ve carried it more than any other gun I’ve had.

Chuck Roberts likes this.
  8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a Colt Cobra in the desk drawer to the right of my keyboard. I would consider it a fine carry weapon, but I don't carry it. There is nothing obsolete about revolvers in the hands of a well trained shooter.

If, God forbid, any of us ever have to use a gun in a defensive situation, the issue will probably be settled with one or two rounds and within a couple of arm's length. If that is the situation you expect to face, then a revolver is fine. I don't like revolver concealed carry because they don't conceal well for me, but that is a personal judgement issue.

After 50 years of gunning, and after carrying a full size 1911 for decades, I have decided that my perfect carry is a Colt Defender. I have been carrying mine for about nine months and it has spoiled me rotten. I don't shoot it nearly as well as a full-size 1911, but I shoot it good enough for the situations I feel I may face away from home.

Sniper03, JimRau, ramjet and 4 others like this.
  9. Chuck Roberts

When I’m not pocketing a j frame, I’m carrying a Light Weight Colt Commander.

JimRau and ramjet like this.
  10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an LCR in 38 spl in my pocket right now. I am old and there is a good chance someone will be on me before I could react. I can jam the revolver into his gut and it will not go out of battery.

11. Chainfire

Yeppers. Mine is the LW too. It has converted my full-sized 1911s to range guns. I don't mind sacrificing one round for the compact size. I am waiting for someone to make an 8 round magazine for the pistol, I could use a little extra grip anyway. I have thought about fashioning a spacer to use my 1911a1 magazines, but the heat has kept me out of my shop.

Tell me, how do you carry your J frame?

12. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes i carry a 4" S&W model 10 or model 19. While at the property or the deer lease i sometimes carry a .357 N frame S&W in a hip holster.

ramjet, Chuck Roberts and Rifling82 like this.
  13. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

The last gun I bought was a Model 60 .357, I’ve carried it a few times. Revolvers are just sexy ;)

ramjet and G_Whitcomb like this.
  14. Chuck Roberts

I pocket carry the j frame in a Don Hume holster.

Rifling82 likes this.
  15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Mdl 36 flat latch in nickel. Mdl 40 in the bedside locker. Under duress, ultimate simplicity of operation- point and click. Back when I worked uniform, a blued 36 in my rt hand winter coat pocket.

A 2 inch .38 Special can be a lot more accurate than you might think, but I consider those my "Get OFF me!" guns. If you can chase me when you have 5 sucking chest wounds, I'm looking for green skin or a big red letter S on your chest.

Am partial to the 110 grain Hornady Critical Defense, but you can choose anywhere from 95 to 200 grain loads, and they will work. Every time.

Rifling82 and Chuck Roberts like this.
  16. G_Whitcomb

G_Whitcomb Member

Although I own some “modern” rifles and handguns I too find revolvers and classic firearms sexy as well. Lever actions,bolt actions,good old blued steel and wood, lots of smooth shiny wood

17. Chainfire

I took a photo about a month ago of my shiny revolvers. I really prefer blued guns, but I don't have a group photo of them. My camera has recently given up the ghost and I have't replaced it. I am a 1911 guy, but I still appreciate DSCN0811.JPG wheel guns.

18. Rifling82

Very nice Chain!.... I appreciate the “shiny” and the blued, I’ve got some of both
    Looking right now at 1911’s, stainless or blued? Can’t make up my mind (I use the word blued loosely because seems like no one blues a gun anymore)

19. Chainfire

I recently picked up a Springfield 1911A1 in stainless. I put a set of the nice Colt rosewood grips on it and it is as pretty as a Dallas Cheerleader. (well, close) Besides the Colt Defender, the rest of my .45s are parkerized, I don't own a blue one, but I wouldn't mind.

Of course, now is not the time to be in the gun buying business. I hit one of my favorite haunts this morning, a local pawn shop, and he had one, count it...one Colt revolver in the place, no other handguns, and he was extremely proud of it, to the tune of about three hundred bucks more than it is worth. The crook will probably get it too.

JimRau and primer1 like this.
  20. Rifling82

Yeah it’s not the time to be looking for sure but I’m keeping my eye out for a 1911, I’d like a Colt but kicking around the idea of a Springfield or Dan Wesson