Any way to keep 1911 from slinging brass back at me?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by ccase39, Mar 24, 2014.

1. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Got a new 1911.45 recently. I love it but it does sling brass right in my face pretty hard. Will this change as the pistol gets some use and loosens up?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Extractor needs adjustment.

3. string1946

string1946 New Member

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Of course, you only load from a magazine and never drop one in the chute and force the extractor over the rim of the casing.

Forcing the extractor over the rim can cause the extractor to lose adjustment or break.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yup- tweek the extractor-
    VERY VERY little at at time!

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

is this your first 1911??

common mistake for folks used to shooting different types is limp wristing. 1911's have some rotational torque and if your limp wristing it it will rotate in your hand and hit you in the face. this is VERY common for folks trying to shoot it one hand style.

before you do anything find someone that is experienced shooting 1911's let them try it. nothing worse than "fixing" a gun for a problem that is purely technique on the shooters part. most issues with accuracy and function are the shooter not the gun. not saying this is or isnt your issue as its entirely possible a mechanical fitting issue but its better to check free stuff that doesnt do any mods than fix something that isnt broken.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  7. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Change your grip. :D

Attached Files:

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

This was also happening to me at first, for the reason stated above.

I didn't mind them bouncing back in my face, but the hot shells going

down my shirt had me dancing...

9. ccase39

ccase39 Member

This is my first. I will definitely keep in mind what you said next time I shoot. It could very well be technique. I am also fairly new to hand guns altogether. I have had many rifles over the years but only a few hand guns and have not shot them very much.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

get a firm grip with both hands squeeze it like your trying to choke the snot out of it till the gun starts shaking then slowly release your grip until the shaking stops, thats the correct amount of firm grip. lock out your wrists and elbows trying to make a a solid connection triangle with the center of your chest center of the base of the triangle and the gun the apex.

correct:

[​IMG]

completely stupid ways:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one way to do it right lots of ways to make yourself look like an idiot...

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

one other thing a good firm grip also mitigates felt recoil. a lot. instead of your wrists soaking it up all on their lonesome your whole body does. this makes follow up shots faster and easier.