any varmit trappers out there?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bobski, Mar 9, 2015.

1. bobski

bobski Active Member Sponsor

i found this on my property when i was mowing the back 40.
    what animal would it catch?
    age of trap?

Attached Files:

2. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Being Polish , it would probably catch me trying to set it .! :confused:

3. jsr5

jsr5 New Member

looks like a 1 1/2 size (should say on the pan) used them for raccon, possum, skunk, weasel (by accident usually use smaller size for em) muskrats. Possibly fox. If goin after bigger predators like coyote or Bobcat you wanna bujp up to a no 2 size with double springs (one each side) probaby want to add a spring to the 1.5 for fox as well really. If one ever gets away you are unlikey to ever catch it again. Probably a victor brand thoiugh I do beleive others made similar traps. Age is hard to tell as that style is still available. It doesn't look to eat up so probably no more than 15 or 20 depends how long it's been left un tended if the guy took care of his stuff it could be 50 year old trap. Should be date info and stuff stamped on the pan (the round part where their foot trip it. and if there is a hollow v in the pan it is definitely a victor brand. little wire brushing should bring out dates and stuff

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  4. bobski

bobski Active Member Sponsor

yep...victor!
    barely can be seen written on the metal but the v is cut out in the tripper. you were a big help!
    thank you!

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Since ther are no off-sets for the jaws it is probably an older trap, at least 20 years old. Many states require that the jaws have off-sets, or stoops that keep the jaws from closing fully. By hey will close enough to catch a foot and not let it come out of the trap, but won't close enough to break bones or cut off circulation. The idea is to be able to release any accidental species catches unharmed.

My Bridger foot holds are of an off-set jaw type. They are safe enough that I have used them to get my dogs to quit digging under the fence. Once they get snapped and caught a couple of times, all I have to do is set the trap in the area where the like to dig, visible and already sprung, and they avoid it like the plague.

6. jsr5

jsr5 New Member

always glad when I"m actually able to contribute. I certainly learn enough here.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That is a foothold trap & I HATE traps !..............

8. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

That one could have been sitting in that spot for many decades, no trappers tag on it tells me its either really old (Prior to 1960's) or set by someone who wasnt trapping for fur.

Foothold traps arent much more cruel than Box traps if used properly. I trapped as a young kid and those I would use foot traps for drowning sets. I caught enough 3 legged Muskrats in my time to know they will do anything to escape. Land sets are less than effective for most fur bearing critters anyways cause most can and will literally chew their own leg off if you dont set them to drown them quickly. I prefer Connabear traps, they are quick and done but used properly, leg traps can be very effective and nearly as quick at bringing death to the critter if set correctly.

FYI, the old traps are becoming very collectable, that Victor could be 50+ years old and be worth 10 times what it was new. The big bear and yote traps can go for thousands.

9. dango

I have a few friends that trap but not me , I just don't care for the slow death . I'm not putting it down , it's just something I don't have the heart for .

10. jsr5

jsr5 New Member

No slow death if done right and a ethical trapper checks his traps daily usually early moring to harvest his animals so they don't spend much time in the trap. Conibears kill very fast somtimes instantly. Drowning sets are a bit slower I only used them on muskrats myself (no beaver here) But properly constructed they really aren't a "lingering" death. I think lots of folks think the animals are left to starve or die of thirst not only is it unethical but in most places and for sure in missouri it is illegal not to check traps daily. I usually dispatched caught animals with a 22. one to the head and done.

And in addition keeping the animal populations down help curb distemper and rabies and other diseases. NOw THOSE are lingering suffering deaths. Responsible trapping removes pest and like hunting manages the fur bearer population. And keeps the diseases down which also protects domestic animals who may come in contact.

This was NOT a rant :p just giving info that might help provide a clearer point of view.

11. dango

The one thing I did see was a coon had nawed his own leg off to get free . I also had a friend hang bait from tree branches two to three feet off the ground with heavy duty fish hooks and bacon strips . The guy was not aloud in my neck of the woods at all . I have not seen trapping done properly ! As in all things , pros and cons , I'll stick to my guns is all . I give free thru -way to my property and most hunt , some trap .

12. WebleyFosbery38

Thats a sick way to catch land animals for sure. Thats not trapping, its fishing for fur bearing animals. I would be cutting those hooks off, thats certainly cruel, unacceptable and I believe illegal, When I did trap many years ago, they were checked twice a day and I rarely had a live one in there, they were taken out immediately with my little slugger baseball bat. I cant stand the idea of even a big rat suffering but thats pretty much how I would make my Christmas money every year as a youth.

I did nearly 100% water sets for Muskrats and thats about it. I did catch one of the nicest Brook Trouts Ive ever caught with a connabear in a hole in a bank once, a delicious mid winter treat!

13. dango

I rarely loose it but I did that time . Bad thing was I inivited him up for some camping . I did cut the lines and got a little ugly but it was fitting ! :eek:

14. jsr5

jsr5 New Member

I have heard of trapping that way Dango it is absolutely illegal and dangerous if you check your traps in the wee hours before daylight catches up to you. Have heard of it used for turky too using corn for bait. That is also illegal and unethical. I'd have ran him off with a stick and contacted wildlife authorities.

Nice on the trout! Dad mentioned catching some kind of fish once but I didn't see it have to ask him what it was. No trout here. probably a grass carp or somthing. Think he used it for bait whatever it was.

15. WebleyFosbery38

I have hunted, fished and trapped a big part of my life but always respected that which I killed by trying to be quick, its pain never brought me a moment of pleasure. I felt real pain in my head the times that I wasnt as efficient at doing it as I should have been. There are many people out there that just werent born with that gene, they scare me most in life. They dont treat people any better than the four legged animals!

16. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Funny thing was I did that same thing to escape the clutches of the Ex-Strife but a stick of butter and good divorce lawyer is a way better alternative . :woohoo:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  17. dango

lol............:d.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

As others already stated, there is a right and ethical way to trap, and there is the other way. I have us d Connibears for beaver and otter population control on lakes and streams that we're getting devastated by tree damage and the fish all killed off by the otters. I've made land based conibear box traps for opossum and raccoon control. Foot hold ground sets for coyote and bobcat have to be very carefully placed with scent control and a lot of recognition of sign to understand the animals habits and frequented paths. The offset foothold traps have been effective in holding animals overnight and allowing me to release accidental catches unharmed, no chewed legs, no broken bones, just some rubbed off fur and usually a tired and ticked off animal. A catch pole can seem real short when you are trying to let a angry bobcat go when it is caught out of season and hits your coyote set.
    I found that trapping made me an even better and more aware hunter.

In hunting you get a chance to see an animal and if it is within a range of 100-300 yds, in some cases, you are close enough. In trapping you usually have to know where an animal is going to be when you aren't around, and you need to get it to go through an are as small as one foot or even get a foot into a 4 inch circle.

So there is skill involved. There is a lot of work involved in scouting, prepping and descenting traps. Placing them, hiding them and not leaving evidence that a human was there. Then checking sets every day. Dispatching or releasing animals. Rebuilding or relocating sets. Processing hides. It can be a lot of work, and when done right, it is not a lazy mans game.

19. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

I know a fellow that collects old & unusual vintage traps, there is some very unconventional stuff out there.

Attached Files:

20. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Mr. Grey? ;)