Any tips

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by amorris11, Sep 14, 2013.

1. amorris11

amorris11 New Member

I took my fiancé to the range yesterday, and was wondering if anybody has any tips on how I can teach her to get her groups tighter. She had fun and that's mostly all I care about, but I think she would have even more fun with a smaller grouping.

This is what in working with at 5 yards.

Attached Files:

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Amorris,

First of all be patient and do not expect too much out of her too soon! For her first time out that is a good target. I would say from what I see, instruct her in the stance that fits her best. Notice I did not say the proper stance. The proper stance for one person may not be the exact proper stance for another. Do not expect her to have the upper body and arm strength that you have. So do not burn her out by allowing her to shoot until she gets tired and starts stringing the rounds on the target. Women believe it or not, are easier to teach than men due to the fact they will listen and do not have that male attitude I know I know! And one thing diagnosing the target is that you need to be sure she is locked in on her wrists when shooting "Weak Hand Supported" Support Thumb along the side of the pistol not behind the slide. And the main thing I see is for her to BE SURE to focus on the FRONT SIGHT when shooting. Depending on how close you were it seems she was looking at the sights then the target while firing. Tell her the Target should look blurry and the rear sight should look a little blurry and the front sight should look clear and focused!!!! This is the hardest thing to teach a new shooter. They want to focus on the Target when the round goes off. That is wat I see! Good luck and let her have fun! It will develop into tighter groups in the future if you do not preasure her or discourage her regarding being too demanding.
    Great that you are taking her shooting. Just adding to another person who learns shooting and the shooting sport is fun!And who will support our Second Amendment due to their new found enjoyment. And if you both tie the knot some day in the future? You will not have someone who does not like guns, gripes and complains and who will also understand when you want a new weapon someday. WARNING! It may come to yes you can have that new gun! But I am looking at this one for me also! LOL! :D
    Good Shooting! And keep taking her to the range!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Just appreciate her accompaniment at the range and shared interest in arms. You are a very fortunate man to have such a lady. :)

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Try a different colored gun, that pink has to go! :D

(and do everything Sniper just posted)

5. amorris11

amorris11 New Member

I definitely like having a range partner, she used to be very liberal when it came to firearms but now that I have her shooting she loves it! As far as the pink gun goes that's what she wanted so that's what she got, I was just happy she wanted her own.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Sign her up for a handgun class.

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I agree with this. Just as in music, painting etc, sometimes a change of teachers can open the world up to you easier than another can. Don't put a limit on her 'education' :D

8. amorris11

amorris11 New Member

If she wanted to then I would in a heartbeat, but I don't think she is as concerned about getting smaller groups as I am. Yesterday she said "if I put them all in one spot then I won't know I hit the target" but I think this was more to mess with me while I was trying to teach her. As long as she is having fun and enjoys shooting with me that's all that matters.

9. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Back to the basics!!!!!:)

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Encourage her to shoot a perfect circle,

and try to shoot out the nine ring on the target.

It helps to have a fun goal.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

She should have which ever gun she wants.

Just keep taking her to the range and let her keep shooting. She'll get better at it. And I agree, make sure she knows the correct basics.

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

learning how to feel the trigger is major. Does she know how or is she just pulling it back and even blinking anticipating the recoil?