Any Thoughts On The SKS?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by PanBaccha, May 20, 2013.

1. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I've been eyeing the Russian, Romanian, and Chinese SKS lately. Watched its prices go up and down everywhere. Anyone have any experience with the SKS? Pro and con?

Attached Files:

• SKS.jpg
      SKS.jpg
      File size:
      5.2 KB
      Views:
  2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I have a chicom sks. With the spike bayonet. I like it

3. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

^^++1 mine is a chicom " franken " sks w/ spike also, it shoots well with no problems for the past 25 years. In fact my wife has now laid claim to it..... LOL

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Pro: More fun than anything that inexpensive has a right to be.
    Con: If your a big guy, the Chinese version has a stock that is proportioned for ...well...Chinese. Feels a lot like a youth model rifle. A Tapco adjustable stock took care of that.

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

It is a simple, bare bones, especially-reliable-and-useful-for-the-money-they-USED-to-be semi auto military rifle. They are damned near indestructible. Already obsolete in many respects when they were $200 with a case of 1,400 rounds of new Norinco ammo, I still couldn't help but think "China has become the arsenal of democracy*." For that kind of money I couldn't see anything better to cache in on. Even today's Mosin-Nagant doesn't hold a candle to it in this regard...
    ;)

I sent my trigger out to be done (might have been lipstick on a pig, but, it really was too long and creepy for my taste and limited collection), the LOP was corrected by a typically stinky Chinese rubber 1" extension (with a hole that still let u access the cleaning kit in the butt), the sights leave something to be desired, and the position of the hand on the forearm has to be rather far forward due to the integral 10-rnd magazine. Finally, accuracy is common military with milsurp level ammo.

Good luck.

*This, of course, is why Clinton stopped their importation.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A good solid short rifle in a decent, affordable, and available ammo chambering. It's not a modern combat masterpiece. But it is good fun and handy enough for what it is. Represents a transitional phase in small arms philosophy. Was a tool of the Cold War for establishing good will with budding communist countries and represents some good firearms history in that regard.

To me they seem at their best in stock military form. They are fun enough and practical enough in that form that I fail to see any good reason to try to make one into something that the SKS is not. Then you can have the fun of shooting something historically accurate that is entertaining to shoot just as it was designed.

They are not sniper rifles, and they are not assault rifles. I prefer to enjoy them the way they are.

7. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I think you should have bought a truckload of them when they were $99.00.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I like mine a lot.

Keep one original, got a modified stock on the other.

They are strong, well-built, simple, and complete.

I like the balance and workmanship on my Russian,

but I have seen Chinese and Yugos which are nice.

The grenade launcher upsets the great overall balance

of the carbine, but acts as a counterweight to put the

sights back on target quicker.

It's my truck gun for camping and fishing.

I used one of HockaLouis's "stinky butt" recoil pads,

and it straightened out the LOP fine.

9. towboater

towboater Active Member

I prefer the Russian. I think they are built a little better.

I owned many different kind back when they were dirt cheap.

10. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Get the Russian if you can find one. Mine is a 1954 Tula Arsenal. Had it almost 20 years now.

ForumRunner_20130520_230738.jpg

11. paraROCK

paraROCK New Member

Bought 2 back when they were about $150, cleaned one up to put in my CR random collection of firearms, the other is still in cosmoline. Got the Yugo version.

Attached Files:

12. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I just got a Yugo Friday and I love the feel of it. Easy maintenance, just make sure your gas valve turns, had to soak mine in aero kroil for 3 days and pull it with pliers to loosen it. Cheap ammo, great rifle. Get a Russian or Yugo one.

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

A buddy of mine just got a clean Chinese one with spike bayo

and all matching serials. Barrel looks like it's never been fired,

and it looks to be from the late '50s. I told him I'll take it off his hands

for 50$ more than he paid for it anytime.:cool:

14. orangello

orangello New Member

I've been very happy with my Chinese-made, spike bayonet-equipped SKS. I did swap out the stock for a Tapco adjustable; it came to me in a monte carlo-esque synthetic stock.

15. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Thank you all for your comments. You've convinced me. I purchased a Chinese SKS, and am now awaiting its arrival at my local FFL dealer. :)

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Pics and Range Report soon after that please...

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You've just taken your first step into a larger world.

Hopefully you'll be able to find a 20 round Chinese

internal mag, and an OE recoil pad, down the road.

18. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

The last 20 rd fixed chinese I saw was priced at $75. Someone should manufacture them here, I'm sure the would sell.(I mean in steel, top quality, not plastic)

19. orangello

orangello New Member

Please, don't try to put a scope on it.

20. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

The 20 rd fixed chicom mags are 50/50 that they will work 100%. I tested 6 for a single vendor friend a few years back, also the after market DUCK BILL mags can be a pain in the azz. +++1 on the no scope .