Any thoughts on point weight???

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by mrb1982, Aug 28, 2011.

1. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I am going to load some 7mm Rem Mag's. I have in the past shot 150gr Sierra's, and they shoot really good. These are factory Federal Premiums I should add. I am wondering if people have found that the 165-170gr do better.

I currently do most of my hunting out west, taking shots between 250-500yds shooting mostly mule deer.

I will be shooting some elk with it.

I also do some whitetail hunting in which running shots are fairly common so I do like to try to shoot as much velocity as possible as it seems to help me with these shots a little bit.

I really like how the 150gr. shoots, but I guess I have a couple curiosities. Number one, is 170gr. too big for closer shots(inside 200yds)? And as far as the longer shots, I know the heavier bullet is supposed to be better, but do you think the 150's would be alright still?

Any advice would be appreciated. I've never actually reloaded before, alwasy bought factory stuff, so I am kind of new to this whole thing.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i too reload the 7mm rem. mag. there is not really a magical weight that works best. bullet type and design are important factors to consider also. with reloading you will be able to find some loads that work better than others. buy several different types of bullets and weights and try different powder charges. make notes and do a lot of shooting. i know this may sound vague and not really answering your question, but what works in one rifle well, may be a very poor performer in yours. this the fun of reloading. plus i almost forgot, different cases, different primers, and different powders will make lots of difference in how the ammo shoots. IMO, i try for as accurate a load that i can make.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

3. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Thanks for the input. I am probably going to start with some 154gr and 162gr Hornady spire points, and some 168gr Bergers. I think they would be the best all around rounds for what I'll be hunting. Not sure about powder, probably either start with some 4350 or RL-22, I've heard that people have had good luck with these specifically in 7mm so I figure I will start with those and go from there.

4. Axxe55

personally myself, i like the IMR4350 and IMR4895 powders. but thats the joy of reloading, trying new loads and finding one that works well in your rifle. happy hunting.

5. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

If you are happy with the 150's you could stick with them. I always used 160gr partition bullets for hunting. But those 150's would shoot a little flatter and faster.

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I thought we covered this here? http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/elk-rounds-48225/

As far as powder goes, IMR 4831 has always worked great in 7mm Rem mag. It is all I use. If you absolutely insist on a standard cup and core bullet, use 175gr. A 160gr thin jacket cup and core can loose up to 40% of its' weight on game like Elk. That will translate into poor penetration. Sometimes you need to get through the shoulder. You will need a bullet that will break though the bone and hit the vitals. I want a bullet that retains 80% or better. Best of luck, just hope you don't get a runner.

7. jpattersonnh

Data shows both at 3000 fps w/ a 160gr having 200fp More energy at 100 yards.

8. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

"Data shows both at 3000 fps w/ a 160gr having 200fp More energy at 100 yards. "

to get a heavier bullet to the same velocity requires higher pressure. At equal pressures the lighter bullets will shoot faster.

9. jpattersonnh

Wrong! W/ the same powder a 150 or 160gr have the same velosity at 100 yards. The bigger issue is that the 150gr looses energy/ faster. The 160gr were designed to do the job of a 175 in a smaller package. Other bullets came along that are 160gr, but still a basic cup and core, and give a false sense of killing power. So by your Logic, My 232gr 9.3x57 should do a better job at 300fps faster then it's 286gr partition brother, ever though they both have the same chamber pressure.
    I'll confuse it for you now. A 6.5x55 140gr at 2700fps has the same potential ability as a 180gr .30-06 at the same distance and velosity. Why. Sectional density and ballistic coefficient. One equates to penetration, the other to accuracy.
    Hodgdon has a difference between the 2 at less then 35fps MV w/ the chamber pressure +-5fp using IMR4831 for 7mm Rem Mag.

10. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I'm kinda hijacking this thread by taking this in a hair different direction, but I can do it because it's my thread. hahaha

I really like the 168gr Berger's. I know that in a lot of situations, not all, that they run pretty long and the one complaint is that sometimes they are too long for the magazine. I read somewhere online here that the magazine on a Sendero, the gun I will be loading these for, is big enough to hold some of these longer rounds. Anybody know any truth/falsification to this?

11. stick_man

stick_man New Member

Another thing to take into consideration is your twist rate. A fast twist will stabilize the longer bullets better than a slow twist. If you have a 1/12 twist, you may find your accuracy decreases with the longer, heavier bullets. Barnes Bullets recommends nothing slower than a 1/12 twist for their excellent TSX and TTSX bullets (in most calibers). If you have a 1/10 or 1/9 twist, you should be good with just about anything on the market. You will actually have better results with the heavier bullets than the lighter ones simply due to stability.

A 160gr Partition is a great bullet for elk and moose with the 7mm's. If your twist is sufficiently fast, a 150-160 TSX would be even better. I don't shoot 7mm's, but have several friends and relatives that do and my uncles swear by the TSX and one friend swears by the Partition for elk. Both uncles shoot only the TSX for both deer and elk. The friend uses a 140gr Ballistic Tip for deer and pronghorn.

12. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Thanks for the input. If I remember right, the remington website says the twist on my Sendero is 1/9.25 or something like that so I should be good to go.

When I first started this adventure of trying to decide what grain to load up, I was a little afraid of the heavier bullets. I wanted a little flatter trajectory. What I am finding though is that if I shoot a heavier one with a better BC, as I get out long it will hold its velocity/energy a little better. This is why I am starting to head in that direction a little bit. I would like to get a load in the 160-168gr range I think possibly and use it as an all around cartridge.

13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

IMR 4831 has shown itself to be an excellent choice for me when reloading 7mm Rem. Mag. and 162 gr. Hornady SPBT's. H4350 also works well, but I really like the IMR 4831 the best.

14. Axxe55

best way is to measure the magazine. but check the reload data as they will give you a maximum OAL of the round. make you a dummy load of the ammo with the berger and see if it fits the magazine and will cycle into the rifle.