Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since i was around 5 years old i have wanted to be a marine. I am 14 now and i was wondering if anyone knows of any military/boot camps or anything similar in illinois? I want to see what the training is like for real marines or similar to there training. I know they wont put me through the exact training but i want to to least go through something similar. All of the camps i have seen are more like rehabs or for teens that are out of control. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also i wasnt sure where to post this so i decided to post it here i hope thats ok.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
beastmode986 said:
Well since i was around 5 years old i have wanted to be a marine. I am 14 now and i was wondering if anyone knows of any military/boot camps or anything similar in illinois? I want to see what the training is like for real marines or similar to there training. I know they wont put me through the exact training but i want to to least go through something similar. All of the camps i have seen are more like rehabs or for teens that are out of control. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Ya go one the marines web site and look at the boot videos. Also start running your butt off, doing crunches, lifting weights, pull ups and any other work out you can think of
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,636 Posts
One of the best people to ask is a local recruiter.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
trip286 said:
One of the best people to ask is a local recruiter.
Yep. There are several on here, me and trip included, who have been Crucified and most of boot never changes but enough does to make our experiences different than what you will face.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,427 Posts
Be careful of recruiters. They often embellish or leave things out.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,160 Posts
(Laughing) One of our running cadences useta be "Hey young soldier, don't feel blue- my recruiter was a liar too!" :D

Actually, any promise that a recruiter makes IN WRITING must be met, or you are released from service.

As far as "Can I go to Basic Training without being a member of the service?"

No. Unqualified NO. Illegal. Can you get a small taste? Yes. Check schools in your area for a Junior ROTC program.

Your best route to military? Get into top physical condition, and stay there. Next, study like hell, make good grades, graduate top of your class. Most services require a minimum of a high school diploma. Was not always like that- I was a dropout, got a GED while in service (and a few degrees since)- but times have changed.

Some folks think the military looks for dummies that can't do anything else. Consider that a rifleman has a night vision scope that costs $8,625. A Javelin gunner (FGM-148 man portable Anti-tank missile) has a tracker that is $125,000, and each missile is $40,000.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,098 Posts
even the base private fresh out of training are almost to man/woman smarter individuals than your typical collegiate tenured proffessor and doctorate proffessor

if i had a choice of hiring an ex soldier fresh out of the military or a college graduate i will take the ex soldier any day. that dd214 says they actually accomplished something more than political indoctrination and rote memmory training.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK thanks ill get into better shape than im in now. Whe i join i want to be deployed and actually fight. I know some people are wondering why do you want to be deployed then you could be shot, blown up ,etc. Well i want to im not sure why but for some reason i want to. My principal was in the army and he told me im to smart for the army i have to much potential and to do something else. I told him firmly i would join anyway but thanks for the complement.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
beastmode986 said:
OK thanks ill get into better shape than im in now. Whe i join i want to be deployed and actually fight. I know some people are wondering why do you want to be deployed then you could be shot, blown up ,etc. Well i want to im not sure why but for some reason i want to. My principal was in the army and he told me im to smart for the army i have to much potential and to do something else. I told him firmly i would join anyway but thanks for the complement.
Hate to say this but I highly doubt you will be in combat except against your own people by the time you are old enough to join. Also if you are too smart for the army you definitely too smart for the Corps. The marines want fighters......not so much brainiacs even though I scored higher on the asvab than most did-95 out of 99 and I still became a Marine.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,636 Posts
Marlinman said:
Hate to say this but I highly doubt you will be in combat except against your own people by the time you are old enough to join. Also if you are too smart for the army you definitely too smart for the Corps. The marines want fighters......not so much brainiacs even though I scored higher on the asvab than most did-95 out of 99 and I still became a Marine.
its funny how many smart asses there are in the Marines. I scored a 96, with a GT score of something like 135. I don't even know what the hell the GT score means, but my recruiter looked at it and said "holy sh!t!" So I assume that's pretty good.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
trip286 said:
its funny how many smart asses there are in the Marines. I scored a 96, with a GT score of something like 135. I don't even know what the hell the GT score means, but my recruiter looked at it and said "holy sh!t!" So I assume that's pretty good.
My GT was 133 I think
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,427 Posts
Same thing happened w/ me. I took my ASVAB w/ through the Marine Corp. The recruiter threw the binder containing all the different MOS on the table and said pick. It's funny how even now people think service members are generally less intelligent.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
MikeJK said:
Same thing happened w/ me. I took my ASVAB w/ through the Marine Corp. The recruiter threw the binder containing all the different MOS on the table and said pick. It's funny how even now people think service members are generally less intelligent.
Yep....and I chose welding and bombs;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,636 Posts
They told me they would make me a tail gunner on a spaceship to Jupiter if I wanted. I told them they could just let me play with the cool guns here on earth and they've got a deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly, I like to fight for some reason. However when it comes to firearms i can control myself. I want to join the marines at 18 maybe 17( i heard you can with your parents permission.)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,636 Posts
beastmode986 said:
Honestly, I like to fight for some reason. However when it comes to firearms i can control myself. I want to join the marines at 18 maybe 17( i heard you can with your parents permission.)
You can join at 17, at least you could ten years ago when I signed up.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,160 Posts
You can enlist at 17. WITH A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA. And your parent's permission. No 17 yr old can be deployed to a combat zone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,509 Posts
Too smart for the Army, I beg his pardon, he's clueless! My guess is he never commanded a TOW Gunship before, otherwise he would think differently.

First off, no disrespect young man but you need to check yourself. "Honestly, I like to fight for some reason. However when it comes to firearms i can control myself", your what we refer to as a hair trigger, Liking to fight is not a prerequisite to Technical and Tactical proficiency, just means nobody will trust your judgement.

Joining the Military specifically to wage war is less than solid reasoning. That attitude could get you disqualified out of the gate. Junior ROTC is a great way to start, also many Reserve and National Guard Units have familiarization weekends that civies can attend, go to the field and get a small taste of that before they sign.

Do good in HS, then think about joining. Because you have no degree above HS, you will be behind many in promotion and pay. If you wanna be all you can be, you need to bring exceptional-ism to the table with you not attain it later. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,483 Posts
And learn Spanish in high school. Basically automatic specialist rank when you get out of boot. Pissed me off watching all the Spanish kids rank up for no reason. Oooh you know spanish, good for you, try talking to a camel fu#&er in Spanish.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top