Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by SandWWoman, May 23, 2007.

  1. SandWWoman

    SandWWoman Guest

    I am going to go for my CCW next year and would like some opinions on guns fitted to need.

    I am debating whether to get an SW 60 revolver.

    Caliber: .357 Magnum®/.38 S&W Special +P
    Capacity: 5 Rounds
    Barrel Length: 3"

    A Glock 19

    Caliber: 9x19mm
    Capacity: 10/15/17
    Barrel Lenth: 4.02 "

    Or an XD

    Caliber: 9x19mm
    Capacity: 15+1
    Barrel: 4.05"

    Any input would be helpful... Thanks!
  2. Spartan

    Spartan New Member

    Gun question

    get the XD, i have the XD9 and love it, you can get the compact which is smaller but carries the same amount of rounds, i would stay away from the revolver, not a big fan, less rounds, nah, and please dont buy a glock, you will get killed. shoot the glock and shoot the xd, you will know what choise to make.

  3. a1huntingsupply

    a1huntingsupply New Member

    I am a big XD fan but ..... If you don't shoot on a regular basis I would pick the revolver. My wife and son's first instinct is to wrap there thumb behind the other and that can lead to an injury quick :eek: . They both shoot revolvers most of the time. With a revolver in a stressful situation there are no safety issues at all. In most cases a revolver will be more reliable. Not knocking the XD or Glock. I have both and they are very reliable, but the chances of a failure will be greater with them.
  4. Splatter

    Splatter New Member

    Another vote here for the revolver.
    Seriously, if you can't solve the proble with 5 rounds of .38+p, you need to start thinking about something belt-fed.

    SandWWoman isn't a LEO going looking for trouble, she's 'only' looking to protect herself and those with her.
  5. robocop10mm

    robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter


    If you are in Texas get an auto for the class. The licensing structure in Texas says you get a permit type S/A if you do your qualification with a semi auto and a permit type NSA if you do your qual with any other type handgun (Revolver). With the S/A permit you can elect to carry any action type (Semi auto, Revolver, Derringer etc). It will give you more versatility.

    For carry you might want to look at the Centennial series Smith and Wesson (640, 642 etc) They are hammerless and nearly snag proof. I do not care for the model 60 as it has an exposed hammer that can (and will) snag on stuff when you need to draw it. It also allows junk to get into the works if you elect to carry in a purse (or pocket).
  6. DWARREN123

    DWARREN123 New Member

    Go with the one that fits you and that you can operate and fire. Some people have problems with autos in racking the slide. Any of your choices would be okay just go with what works for you.
  7. ScottG

    ScottG Active Member

    If racking the slide seems to be a problem you can always use both hands. ie: pull back the slide with one hand while pushing forward the frame with the other. I've heard that advice given to ladies and people with weaker arms or hands.
  8. Bidah

    Bidah New Member

    Take the class first, but qualify with an auto for Texas.

    Then go rent and shoot as many different ones as possible, then rent the ones you liked again. I would also suggest a revolver if you don't, or have not, done a lot of shooting.
  9. pioneer461

    pioneer461 New Member

    Ditto what Bidah says. What works well for me, won't necessarily work for you. I normally recommend .38 / .357 snubbies for new shooters, the Kodak of guns, just Point & Shoot. Later, you can always expand your collection to include whatever autoloader works best for you.

    An important thing to remember, no matter what you choose; Practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more.