Any suggestions on cheap target ammo?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Iggy85, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Iggy85

Iggy85 New Member

Im new to handguns as I just purchased a Glock 19 approx. A month ago. I love my Glock by the way! Just wondering if you guys had any ideas/ places where you can buy some cheap ammo for target shooting. I currently get my ammo at walmart. Its about $26 for 100 rounds of winchester 9mm 115 grain fmj at walmart

2. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Make damn sure you check every round you put in your mag. I primarily use wwb but stopped using it in 9mm. Always have a couple of bad rounds per box where the bullet gets seated too far in the casing and puts a big crimp in it. Didn't catch it and got stuck in my bbl of my G17 and was a b$#ch to get out! I now just buy the 50 rnd boxes of federal and ends up being a tiny bit cheaper per 100 rnds vs WWB

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I use wolf ammo for practising. Works great for my glocks. Cheap but dirty.

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Winchester white box at wally world

5. Iggy85

Iggy85 New Member

Has anyone tried Remington 9mm?

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

My Walmart often has 100rd Federal 115gr 9mm for $20. Never had any problems in Lugers, P38s, Hi Powers and Taurus. Some say it's too weak to cycle the action but I've not seen that. Great for plinking.

7. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

$8.75 a box is tough to beat! Of course, it's always shipping costs that kill the price. If four or five people can get together and get a case each, it seriously mitigates the shipping by spreading it across several orders.

It would be nice to see a truck dropping of 10 or so cases of ammo in front of my door and the gossip from the neighbors = Priceless!

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

If you want to shoot steel case,wally world also carries tulammo now. 9.99 for 9mm

9. Mdrums

Mdrums New Member

I've put 300 rounds of Winchester white box target ammo through my new G27 no issues at all. I'd rather pay a couple dollars more for a good name brand target ammo that some cheap ammo as my Glock is worth more than the few dollars saved with cheap ammo.

10. lyodbraun

lyodbraun New Member

you can pick up 100 Rounds of .40 from luckygunner.com for $28 ive bought around 500 or so rounds from them and have no problems with it.. they also have decent shipping rates, and it always is shipped out either same day I make the order and is usually at my door the next day,..

11. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

WWB and Remington UMC are about as cheap as it gets in my experience. As someone else has stated, I've had bullets seated too deep with a super crimp, I've had bullets that weren't crimped tight enough that came out when loading the magazine or fell down into the case and I've opened boxes and found either cases with splits or creases.

I've had none of the above mentioned issues with Wolf steel case, and the Wolf is cheaper. The fact that it's steel cased doesn't bother me. It is, IMO, better ammo for target practice than WWB and UMC.

I will say that I've been less than pleased with Tula though. The primers are very hard, and I've had quite a few FTEs with it when I don't get them with anything else.

-Fred

12. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Cheap Russian ammo wont break your guns at all. I shot thousands of it with my Glocks & DD Ar15. The only downside is only dirtier. Just my 2c.

13. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

$26 for 100 rds ain't bad. Look at cheaperthandirt.com if anyone can beat that price it will be them.

14. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I usually get my ammo online from sgammo.com, luckygunner.com or sportsmanguide.com.
    I buy them by bulk (1000 rounds). At the end with shipping, each round costs less than 20c.

15. Glockanista

Glockanista New Member

I shoot Tulammo from Walmart quite a bit for the range. Competition is either Atlanta Arms 147 gr or Fiochi 158 gr (when I can find it).

16. Paperpuncher

Paperpuncher New Member

You won't find ammo any cheaper then right here. Good, quality, CLEAN, reliable shooting ammo.

www.theammoguy.com

Good guy with good prices. I put the link up everytime I see someone start one of these threads.

I have looked at every one of the sites posted above and their 40% more.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  17. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Reloaded ammo? I never tried reloaded ammo and wont. I kinda worry in safety reasons. No offense though.

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Cheap ammo is not the way to go for accuracy, but the way to go if all you want to do is blast away.

Cheap ammo can interfere with practice. Misfires (good to learn firearm clearing), hang-fires (lets you know what it is like to fire black powder), squibs (can explode barrels if not cleared), and duds (live fire turned to dry fire with a dangerous snap cap), and failures to eject (when the paint on the casings gets too hot and hangs the round in the chamber).

Not all cheap ammo will do this, but expect something to happen.

19. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Sellier & Belot on sale at Cabela's for $10 per 50