Any suggestions for dealing with a bird?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sputnik1988, May 24, 2012.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I cant believe I'm posting this but... there are a few birds at my house that enjoy the heck out of constantly sitting on my car and/or truck mirrors, and taking a crap.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I would shoot them, but I prefer not to, I don't kill it if I dont intend to eat it. Plus I'm not shooting at my car. Any suggestions? Do you think armor-all or tire cleaner would keep them away?

I said I prefer not to shoot them, I didnt say that I wont.:mad:

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

3. sputnik1988

Great idea, didnt think of that.

Alka seltzers?

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Crush em up and mix with some bird seed and put on your truck. The birds will eat it and pop like a zit.

5. sputnik1988

:eek: I think I'd rather shoot em.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lmfao. Decoy may be a bit cleaner.

7. sputnik1988

Agreed, I want a bald eagle.:p

A small hawk would probably be more practical... and cheaper.

8. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

A horned owl dec will usually work.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Some people use foil pie plates loosely hung in their gardens to frighten off birds; they spin in the breeze and cause flashes of bright moving light and such.

I still vote "shoot them". Maybe just airsoft?

10. sputnik1988

I have a full auto airsoft M1A1 Thompson, but the motor locked up.:(

Boy, that would have been fun.

11. sputnik1988

12. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I've tried the hanging foil pans & the whirly-gigs. They work for a while, but the birds eventually get used to them, then ignore them. I had a problem with sparrows building nests in the attic louvers of my house, one time. Worst was the one under my carport, right over our car. I tacked a rubber snake to it & that worked for a while. Then I heard a gosh awful racket one day & looked out. They had gotten up the nerve to attack that snake, had pecked it into pieces & threw it down on the floor! nded up putting screen wire over it.:)

Live in a house with a garage now, but I have a red pickup that sits outside. A cardinal fell in love with it! He especially liked to sit where he could see himself in the outside mirrors! I kept it covered with a tarp for a long time, but that got to be a nuisance to take off & replace everytime I used it, so started leaving it off as it was easier to just keep cleaning it. Don't know if he died, moved away or just got tired of it, but haven't had a problem in a while.

Gotta be careful of killing birds. Depending on where you live, etc. many of them are protected. My wife wouldn't let me kill any of them anyway. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  13. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I am sure birds would get used to an owl decoy eventually also.

Birds are quite smart.

Crows are supposedly the smartest animals second only to humans. Probably smarter than a lot of humans.

14. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

I vote air soft if you don't want to kill them. It will ward them off, teach them that your cars are not a fun place to play around, and get some frustration out as well.

15. sputnik1988

That's funny.

I'm not too worried about them being protected, most are robin's. One is yellow though, I'm not too sure what it is.

16. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

A BB gun only pumped up about five times will do the trick. It'll hit them hard enough to hurt/scare them, but not injure/kill them.

17. sputnik1988

I'd prefer to just kill them than take the chance of wounding them.

I haven't shot my 1911 in awhile. I know a guy who shot a crow with a 230 grain JHP .45. It blew it to bits.

I may try a decoy for a bit, before I declare war on 'em.

My brother shot a robin with a red ryder BB gun, it wounded it pretty bad, he had to put it down. It was a heck of a shot too, I'd say 30 yards

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  18. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

I shot them with a little spring action pistol. It isn't hard enough to injure them, but it's just enough to scare them. Plus it's fun to practice aiming with a pistol.