Any stores with 9mm in illinois?

Discussion in 'Illinois Gun Forum' started by beastmode986, Mar 15, 2013.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Are there any stores in illinois with 9mm? not more than 1.5 hours from naperville area? Me and my dad just called at least 7 stores and they are all sold out.

2. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

The ammo. Its nowhere to be found

3. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Did you try Mega Sports in Plainfield?

4. austin92

austin92 New Member

Too bad your not closer to me. There's a little shop here with a couple hundred rounds at normal prices.

5. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Not yet, they're pretty big though so I figured they would be sold out.

6. ChanceMcCall

ChanceMcCall New Member

Here is a thought. I know of a number of gun stores that have 9 MM in stock as well as other hard to find ammo. Not one of them would tell someone phoning in to inquire that they have it.

Look at it from the dealer's point of view and see if this makes sense:

You have ammo that is in short supply. You could just (as most are doing) raise the prices to double or triple their profits. I can sympathise with them even if I would not do that.

You have the ammo but you want to build long-term relationships so you don't raise the price. Are you going to want to sell it to a one time buyer who is only in your store because they can't buy what they want online or at the big brand store? If the caller isn't someone you know and like, the standard phone answer is, "Sorry" and that seems justified to me.

I was in my favorite gun store earlier today when someone came in looking for ammo only. He was rude and abrasive when asking about ammo and he certainly was no regular. He was offered ammo in the caliber he wanted but not the brand (.22LR) and he became even more rude by commenting the price was higher than he wanted to pay because the ammo was match grade. (The prices on the ammo offered were about 1/3 of what most of the box stores had been selling off brand dirty ammo for when they had it.) He left with no ammo or anything else. I left with 400 rounds of Remington Hollow Points at $6 per box and 200 rounds of exactly what I was looking for 9 MM ($40) for my wife's Boberg that was not out on the shelf. Had he been even halfway polite the owner might have sold him a box of what I bought at the same price.

We all build or destroy relationships. Maybe I have paid a few bucks more for a few things in there over the years, but I also built a relationship by understanding he has to make a buck as well. Now when I need something, he comes through for me, just like he does for all of his loyal customers.

7. fickenmeimirish

fickenmeimirish New Member

Try mega sports, they may not be, as they have a limit 2 per caliber right now, their shelves are sparse but ive had no problem picking anything up there, with the exception of .45acp, dont know about 9mm tho, dont own any yet

8. draggin10s

draggin10s New Member

Great answer Chance! I live in the People's Republic of Illinois as well! I have built a relationship with an FFL and he gets me the ammo I need at a reasonable price because I have brought him other business! Relationships matter! Mega is a nice store but their Friendliness level seems to have gone down a bit since all this gun ban stuff started. Just my 2 cents.

9. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

I completely understand what both of you are saying. I know of three stores that I bought 9mm at today, all in the $16/50 round range. Two of which I called and asked politely if they had any in stock and they told me yes. One was a drive-by that had some in stock. None of the WallyWorlds I called that I would be passing by had any, however they've gotten smart and told the operators what they have in stock, as I'm sure Sporting Goods was getting tired of running to the phone for the same question every five minutes.

So the question is as I'm not clear if there is another meaning to your posts, should I pass along to all of you where the ammo is, or keep those relationships to myself? I was going to help my fellow FTF'ers out to help them get ammo and in hope of them starting a relationship with these shops. I will say I likely never would have gone to two of the shops, as they are way out of my way, but I was on the road and gave one a call. The two smaller stores had a good display of firearms and employees at both were super friendly. I will definitely keep them in mind if I'm looking for something in the future. Had one of them not told me they had ammo over the phone, I wouldn't have gone out to either store, and we both would have lost.

So what do I do now?

10. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Considering I had a few PMs already this morning, I'll post this as I was intending to. (To the person who didn't get a reply, your box is full - delete some messages.)

I wasn't looking for .22lr, just 9mm. It's going to be a hike for some, but desperate times, desperate measures. Good luck!

Gat Guns has just about everything in stock right now due to the factory shoot this past weekend. Two boxes per caliber per person per day though, so bring friends with FOIDS and mix and match :)

I took a run over to Marango after. Marango Gun Shop has some JMJ Smith ammo loaded out of Rockford. Anyone heard of it or shot it? JMJ looks like they have a good small business going from their website. I picked up 100 rds of their 9MM Luger, 115g – LeadRN (1100fps), just to see how it shoots. The gun shop says it's good stuff.

Dale's Gun Shop had some with Sellier & Bellor with a 200 round limit.

Please be respectful to these shops and their employees. Their phones are ringing off the hook, so being polite, quick and concise I'm sure will help them help you. It is what it is, and they have what they have. Gat is fairly local for me and anyone who's been there knows how it works, but the two shops in Marango were very friendly and had quite a few new and used rifles, some shotguns and some new and used handguns.

11. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

you're right on...Mega has been recently noted to have become very selective to whom they sell to and to have quite the cold shoulder with respect to black rifle sales to customers. My opinion is if you're worried about you're own ability to conduct business within the law, why the hell did you get yourself an FFL in the first place?

as far as I'm concerned now, MegaSports....MegaBlows, I'll be giving my cash to other LGS's in the area.

12. draggin10s

draggin10s New Member

If you got decent pricing and good service then that store deserves recognition and your recommendation I see no problems with that! Like I said relationships mean everything to all of us. If we find a 'Good Guy" why not tell the world. He will appreciate it!

13. scottmac

scottmac New Member

GAT Has Skids / Pallets of ammo in all flavors, including 9mm, from their Grand Re-Opening.

Unfortunately, it's limited to two boxes per caliber, per day (at least for now).

In general, they appear to be recovering from the panic buying, and also have a wall full of evil weapons in 5.56, .308, popular gauges, and "other."

14. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

i haven't had a chance to get out to GATS lately, did they expand the parking area with the new addition at all? i was told that used to be a pizza place before they bought the building....

15. PGM

PGM New Member

I have about 200 rounds reloaded.(9mm)Could pull and customize if loads are too warm. 300 brass +4 die set,(9mm) i had for a uzi i sold.Normally i would donate to a friend but i need 45.70 dies and other supplies.And wifeys watching the card.I have other dies for calibers i dont have any more too(375 rcbs) and mucho brass and bullets.Thought id try even for a swap(45.70dies)that are missing.[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

16. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Gat has alot of ammo. I went there like 2 weeks ago they had almost everything except 9mm

17. scottmac

scottmac New Member

Yes! Lots more parking; they expanded towards the front (towards Rt25) and some to the South.

18. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

Anywhere near Champaign?

19. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

Have you tried Ron's or Dave's? Maybe White Dog in Arcola or Atwood Armory in Atwood.