Any steampunk/dieselpunk fans?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Gizord1, May 26, 2013.

1. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

While firearms are my biggest hobby, being a nerd is another. I like the steampunk genre/culture/hobby, and will hopefully create an entire outfit, one day.
    Last night, I finished my first steampunk gun.
    It's a nerf gun I got for 99 cents at a thrift store.

Attached Files:

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

....Interesting.

THe rear sight looks a little hard to use but over all it looks pretty cool.:)

3. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Do you read the webcomic Girl Genius?

4. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Never heard of it.

5. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

It actually is easy to use.
    I had to drill out the center of the gear for it to work right.

6. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Sweet Nerf!! I have 4 or 5 of those around the house in non-Steampunk version :)

Now I have to go and put Clockwork Angels on in the background and grab the book and re-read it again...

7. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Girl Genius is written and drawn by Phil and Kaja Foglio, it is in the steampunk genre (they call it "gas lamp fantasy) they've won 3 Hugo Awards for it. Pretty good stuff.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com

8. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i got one of those nerf guns for Christmas, seems everyone & their brother does something like that to them, I've seen a lot of images online of people making them more "real." the promo's for the movie "R.I.P.D." show Jeff Bridges & Ryan Reynolds using something that looks awfully similar to those.

it looks cool, but not exactly my style....right now...I might feel different about it in the morning :p

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

now i have to ask this, but what is steampunk?

10. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Steampunk is a fairly new sci-fi/historical genre/culture that is based around the turn of the 20th century in Victorian Europe, or the West (though the western version isn't even close to the popularity of the Victorian style). Almost everything is powered by steam and gears, and many advanced technologies have come about, such as incredible firearms, airships, machines that wouldn't exist in that historical era, etc.

Very strange and intriguing culture.
    It's becoming immensely popular.
    Dieselpunk is a lesser know spin-off o steampunk. It's based around the 30s-40s-50s, and everything is powered by diesel, instead of steam. Dieselpunk actually has a lot of Nazi-era technology and Nazi project stuff like super tanks and mechs and all that weird crap they tried.

This is what some of the stuff looks like.
    Pretty neat some of these "inventions" people can create with a little ingenuity:

Attached Files:

11. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

Doh!! Gizord beat me to explaining it....& did a much better job of it
    you ever see the "Wild Wild West" movie with Will Smith? pretty much every mechanical thing in that movie falls into the steampunk category. Also see this link

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have seen that type of genre in some movies before. sort of what i thought it was, but wasn't for sure about it. thanks to both for the enlightenment.

i did see Wild Wild West and liked it for all the cool gadgets! of course the original series was kind of cool too!

13. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Haha, wild Wild West was a movie that was great and terrible at the same time. It is great cause its one of the only steampunk based movies, but the movie itself is meh, except for the strange comedy. I liked it, though.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  14. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Yeah, I've seen other mods to nerf guns. Nerf better be damn grateful for me using their crappy products for a project. Especially since they call all their product's magazines "clips".