any skb owners?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by ultimate-soldier5, Apr 5, 2014.

1. out there, i was just wondering if there were. my dad got me an xl 900 a long time ago when i was a kid and it was cut down for a woman now that im grown up i couldnt hit a damn thing with it till today, i got my new stock in the mail and installed it, gotta go shoot sometime this week. anyway just seein how many of yall shoot skb?:)

Attached Files:

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Soldier,

I had one just like the one in your picture in 20 Ga. several years ago. And it was a fine shotgun! Killed a lot of Pheasants and Quail with that gun! And also had an SKB Over and Under 20 ga. They are fine shotguns. Is yours a 12 ga or ??? I believe you will be more than pleased with the shotgun! Not to mention the fact Dad gave it to you!

3. awesome sniper. ive already hammered loads of ducks and pheasant with it prob 10 years ago but that was the last time i hunted with dad, havent done alot of hunting since ive been in the military but im on my last year and got that longer stock so it fits me now, cant wait for this years seasons to roll around, its a 20 ga when my dad picked it up in 1999 it was cut down for this guys wife and she never shot it so after that i used it, love the gun. they have another line they came out with the IS 300 its an inertia driven gun, would like one in 12ga.

4. Sniper03

Soldier,

I guess maybe they market the SKB themselves today? But back when I had them they were marketed by Ithaca Gun Company. In fact the actually called them Ithaca SKBs. Man that is a great looking stock on there also. Did you fit the stock or have someone else fit it?
    Here is my pride and joy! It was my grandfathers who passed it down to me!' He bought it prior to the Great Depression! I had it restocked years ago (Reinhart Fajen Stock) since gramps was tough on the old gun! It is a Fox Sterlingworth 20 ga. Double Full and Full. The best rabbit gun I ever had and still have it. As yours it is also a sentimental piece!

Attached Files:

5. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Damn you for bringing up painful memories.:eek:
    I once owned an Ithaca SKB 12ga. S/S Skeet Gun.
    Loved that Gun,
    but traded it for something?
    Now you have me shedding tears.:mad:

6. sniper, i ordered it from them over the phone and it came in the mail so when it showed up i fitted it myself, there wasnt alot of work needed at all, i worked at the table for about 20 mins and was done, they have the best customer service ive dealt with so far, and i only described the forearm to the feller on the phone and he said hed send me what he thinks would match, in my opinion he did an amazing job. they market themselves but they still have a rollover from ithica, that shotgun you have there is absolutely beautiful. dad just has so many treasure at the house still, it is amazing.

shade, i would be shedding tears too, keep an eye out you will find one.

a pic of it with the wife

Attached Files:

7. indy36

indy36 New Member

I shoot skeet every Sunday with a .12 Ga SKB 85TSS. Mine is the 'sporting' version with 30-inch barrels, hi-grade wood, and adjustable comb. I use extended skeet chokes. It's a great gun. I've also had the SKB 5600 and a .20 Ga semi-auto, think it was the 1300. Anyway, I like SKB. Great value and features for the money. Just watch for cracking forearms. Seems to happen on some. Think I gave like $1,695 for mine, lightly used. It's $2,495 MSRP on SKB's website.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396843729.647820.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

8. windjammer69

windjammer69 Well-Known Member

I have owned several, the first SKB was a 505 o/u 32" trap. Then 605 Trap Combo, 505 Skeet in 12 & 20 gauge. Then I traded the 605 for a 785 Trap combo.
    The ones that just blew me away was I purchases a pair of 785 Medalion 12 gauge Fields for my grandsons, and got a Upland and a Waterfowl. When I opened them up both had feather grain stocks and they where consecutive serial numbers. Two of the best looking guns that I have ever owned. And they shoot like dreams, I have shot Sproting Clays with them and have shot 96 and 97 out of 100.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  9. Sniper03

Soldier!

Where did you buy the stock from? That is amazing! Usually it can become a task to properly fit a stock.

OH! Want to get some "GOOD BOY POINTS" in for you! Pretty Gun! Pretty Lady! You are fortunate on both counts! Let me know on the stock purchase! Do they provide stocks for other guns?

And Jammer! That is some beautiful wood there!!!!

10. sniper, thank you for the comments on both of my treasures, i bought the stock directly from skb, i really wish they made stocks for other guns. haha. jammer those are great pieces of wood you got there, im really contemplating another skb in 12 ga....

11. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

SKB side-by-sides are highly coveted by cowboy action shooters. I have seen several SKB 100s which have extractors only (no ejectors allowed on doubles under SASS rules) and splinter forearms. The 200s have the wider beavertail forearms but most or all have automatic ejectors that must be disabled. I have heard of, but not seen, a model 150 that has the wide forearm but no ejectors.

Many of the doubles used in cowboy are inexpensive coach guns of average quality. The SKB and Browning BSS are high quality guns by comparison. The SKB is more popular because it's lighter in weight.

I happened across a 12 gauge Model 100 in a local gun shop. It had 30" barrels and was in excellent shape. These guns often sell for over $1000 and I did a little better than that. I shot a couple rounds of skeet and trap just to function check it, then I turned it over to a cowboy gunsmith who did things to it that would make a bird hunter sit down and cry.

It is a crackerjack cowboy shotgun, though. I had him cut the barrels at 23 inches which leaves a little forward weight on it. You can shoot the gun, push the lever and the action will open and the hammers cock with little effort other than the weight of the barrels. Sweet.

12. windjammer69

windjammer69 Well-Known Member

I have been looking at the new SKB line up, and I see that the Greener crossbolt is gone and the new O&U are box lock design.
    Anyone out there bought or shot any of the new SKB guns?

13. indy36

indy36 New Member

I stick to the ones made in Japan. I'm partial to those.

14. kycol

kycol New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1412679188.032634.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

I just bought one two days ago. An 85 TSS made in japan. Plan on shooting it for first time tonight if the rain stops.

15. tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle Member

I bought an Ithaca SKB 100 from a Penny's Discount Center in 1970. It had apparently been returned, or the original sale fell through. It still had the paper wrapping around the barrels. Irrc, I paid the handsome sum of $127.00 for it.

28 in. barrels modified and full with 3 in. chambers. I have killed a world of doves with that little gun, and maybe a duck or two back in the day.

[​IMG]

TB

16. kycol

kycol New Member

I have run about 450 shells through it now. I think I'm really going to like it. Had a big company shoot last Saturday came in third. If it didn't go bang you wouldn't know it shot, that pad takes all the recoil out. Quite different than the bruised shoulder my Browning light twelve left me with.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

17. jeepboy4life

jeepboy4life Member

I used to shoot a SKB O/U 12ga for rabbit hunting and trap shooting. The gun was given to me by my grandfather, I have no clue what model it is and have been told that SKB never made an O/U with a double trigger. If anyone has any info on SKB double triggers that would be great. I had a couple of springs break in it and have no clue were to take it. I'm in upstate NY. Thanks guys

18. indy36

indy36 New Member

I now own a Grade III Weatherby Athena. It was made by SKB in Japan for Weatherby.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1419991643.257685.jpg

19. RKB

RKB Well-Known Member

Nice, Indy. Very nice.
    A friend had an Athena, we were shooting a small registered shoot and my Rottweil broke a firing pin. I borrowed his Athena and finished the event - he and I tied with 99's. In the shootoff he shot first, and dutched the pair. I smoked the first one and quit, event over. I always felt bad about beating him with his own gun, and on his all-time high score, but I did not know that at the time.