Any scout leaders or scout dads

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by F4U, Dec 10, 2019.

1. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

My nephew is 11 years old, just rejoined the boy scouts after skipping a year. I was thinking of getting him a decent pocket knife for Christmas, but do not know what type would be most useful, and meet any safety requirements the scouts might have. Don't want to go too cheap, but don't want to break the bank on something he might lose or misplace either. So what is the collective ftf expert opinion on this? My brother (his dad) and I were not scouts, so I have no basis to start from. Thanks for any ideas.

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  2. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

IMO, the best all around get it done work horse knife is the BUCK 110 folder.

towboater likes this.

3. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Buck 112 if he has small hands maybe

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Go over to Amazon and search for Boy Scout Knife.

oO_Rogue_Oo, locutus and towboater like this.
  5. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Swiss army. Watching scouts figure out and argue about what tool does what on a Swiss army knife is priceless.

OLD Ron and towboater like this.
  6. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

I just went through some of the knifes hanging around in the den. Found the Buck 110 that my father gave me, but did find the one that is lighter and some what smaller,,,,,check out the BUCK 722 Spitfire. Great little knife.
    You may also like to look on line to a crazy neat knife store..
    Smoky Mountain Knife Works
    I do believe you will end up buying more than one knife from that place.

OLD Ron and towboater like this.
  7. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Used to be the "Official Boy Scout Knife", purchased at stores that sold Scout stuff (canteens, flashlights, uniform items). Pretty indestructible, had a can opener, knife blade and something else. Best part was the wire loop you could fasten to your belt. Had to pass a knife safety course and after that, an axe course before you were issued a "totin' chip" (card signed by some expert on the subject). Unsafe behavior and you lost the "totin' chip", had to turn your knife over to the scoutmaster until completing the safety course again.. A learning experience occurred when Hartley Huff buried an axe in the top of his foot at Camp Pah-He-Tsi in 1962. Lost his "totin' chip", but we got to see for-real first aid applied. Scouting is still a worthwhile thing but far different these days.

Glad to hear your nephew is getting back into it. My son became an Eagle Scout whereupon I presented him with a Beretta 686 O/U as my reward to him.

oO_Rogue_Oo, primer1, OLD Ron and 2 others like this.
  8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't you mean "The Boy AND GIRL" scouts???? Today they have girls, LGBTQ and G_d only knows what else.

I'm a former scout, and a former Scoutmaster. I no longer support them. Even the adult(?) leaders aren't allowed to carry fixed blade knives.

Sad. Very sad.:(

9. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Remington used to make great Boy Scout knives and they even had some cool limited edition (re-issue from the 20-30s) knives of very good quality in the 90s. They are the old school classic BSA folder and there are TONS of them on eBay AND really reasonable for what they are. Quality steel that takes a great edge and other blades like opener and such and HAND MADE IN THE USA!!! I got one for my grown son as a replacement for his childhood one he lost and it has quickly become an EDC knife, liked it so much that I promptly bought another one for myself.
    This one is mine, their R-4 model but there are others in many configurations. Don’t buy their new knives, they are crap made in China.

2DA47A89-83AB-4B11-B875-AF8D0AA08CF6.jpeg

primer1, BVAL and sheriffjohn like this.
  10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Old Timer and Uncle Henry Traditional Boy Scout Knife by Schrade. I dont know if they are still made in USA but I doubt it. Hard to go wrong with a Victorinox Swiss army Tinker and it wont be made in China. I believe it is available with the emblem.
    My daughter works for the Boy Scouts and she has been complaining about California making it extremely difficult for them to run their marksmanship program. Boy Scouts were forced to change as they could not afford the government backed law suits heard by PC judges in kangaroo courts. She has 3 boys and 2 are Eagles and the youngest is almost there.

11. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks a lot guys.

12. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Rifling82 likes this.
  13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Plan ahead. When my grandsons made Eagle I gave them each a custom knife. RP Eagles.JPG

towboater, primer1 and Rifling82 like this.
  14. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

A good “stockman” pattern with three blades. You can do most anything with one.

freefall likes this.
  15. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

Have you checked out the wonderful world of Smoky Mountain Knife Works yet?

towboater likes this.
  16. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

I have/had 3 boys in scouts until about 2 months ago (ages 9 to 11) - this is the knife I got each of them...
    Kershaw Cryo w. Speed assist
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/114007870606

I used to be a den leader, and active. To be honest, not being allowed to shoot BB guns and bows at pack meetings killed the desire for me. Their insurance only covers you for district shooting events. The co-ed aspect was the final straw, and why I stopped and pulled the kids completely.

17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Not in the last several years. 20 some years ago I ordered some knives from them and still received their catalog until a couple years ago.

18. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

And then you have this headline.
    Pennsylvania girls form all-female troop after Boy Scouts begin accepting girls

19. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Did they call themselves "Boy Scouts?"

ellis

towboater likes this.