Any sample lube for my new SA1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by EMTchad, Jul 28, 2011.

1. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Hi guys, I see that some of you who are very knowledgable have offered some kind of sample lube or oil to other members. This is my first handgun SA1911 ever. Never owned a pistol before. I'm so glad I joined this forum, I've had gotten such great info from alot of these members. Any lube sample for this newb? ;) regards! Chad

2. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

Humm, let me see, "light lube" a generic answer would be gun oil..but very little one or two drops.
    If that is what you're asking. Remember if you can't find your answer here Goggle and u tube can be helpful.

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I blend my own. Cane's "Mobil Mystery", 90% Mobil 1 / 10% Marvel Mystery.
    [​IMG] + [​IMG]

5. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

To add .. my personal choice is.

Attached Files:

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'll do you one better!

Royal Purple Gun Oil

Attached Files:

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Think you have seen a pattern here :)

Basically any light machine or motor oil will do the job. Just a couple of things to consider, the lube should be of sufficient weight to stay put and not run off but not so heavy to attract dirt and gum up...5W-30 works fine. Also no detergents or other additives....just plain oil. Cane's mixture is fine as both are oils and the mystery oil penetrates the metal better than plain engine oil. I have actually tried that and the slide on my 1911 feels like its running on ball bearings...super smooth.

Don't be taken in by the marketing hype of the gun lube makers, you'll pay $5 for 1oz of gun lube when a $5 quart of Mobil 1 will last a decade.

8. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

You sirs are thee Shiz nits. All of you gentlemen are super awesome and friendly. Sigh i love this forum...

9. nhsuper44

nhsuper44 New Member

I use Fluid Film on my guns, someone here on the forum was giving out some samples awhile back. Also JD did a corrosion test with the stuff and it was great!!

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Free sample lube for a nube?

Looks like you got your answer, get it free off your dipstick! No shipping costs either... :p

You do use good oil in your car, right? :D

11. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Full synthetic for me as well!:cool:

[​IMG]

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

i use gun grease on slide rails and other parts that see friction. very very light application. oil is good everywhere else.

too much lube as in dripping or caked on just gums up.

13. Hollander

Hollander New Member

Been using Mobil One for three years, even on the supposedly finicky guns. Always works for me. May not be quite as effective in super cold temps but here in the Hotlanta area, nothing but Mobil One.

14. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Break Free CLP has been my goto for everything weapons lubrication for years.
    My experience with it has been stellar, but I know it has detractors.
    [​IMG]

15. Dano50

Dano50 New Member

Heck, I'll offer up samples again for members who haven't tried it and live in the US. Fluid Film is a very good gun lube but does so much more. It is the best corrosion preventive on the market. It stops rust on contact, prevents rust on all metals, doesn't get tacky, doesn't dry out, and is friendly enough to even waterproof and condition leather work boots. For more info check out our website at Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor.

Shoot me a PM with your contact info if you'd like a sample. We even pay for shipping. If you are familiar with us and like us, "Like" us on Facebook and leave a testimonial on how well it works on guns.

16. billt

billt New Member

It looks like an excellent product. I have a John Deere dealer down the road. Do they sell "Fluid Film"? Bill T.

17. Dano50

Dano50 New Member

We are sold nationally through John Deere under Part #TY22032. If they don't have us on their shelf we are certainly in their system. :D

18. nhsuper44

nhsuper44 New Member

I put that stuff on everything !!! works great!