Any reports on what calibers are gone and what is available?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by TheDreadnought, Mar 14, 2020.

1. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought Well-Known Member

There’s been a lot of speculation over the last few years about what calibers will be more available in a panic situation.

We’re probably close to one now. Just curious as to what people are seeing still stocked on the shelves of their LGS.

OLD Ron and PeeJay1313 like this.
  2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My LGS has them all. No shortages so far. They are well stocked.

3. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

wally world has shotgun shells. wally world is all we got, unless you go 45 miles north or 75 miles south.

4. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I was at walmart last night. I took a peak at the ammo. It's down about 50%. No T.P ,eggs cereal,water and pasta.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  5. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

I mostly go to rural king for ammo.

No shortage except on tula 45acp. They were sold out of it but had everything else all calibers.

PaBushMan likes this.
  6. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Order online and have them sent to your home. Zero miles. Even if you get stuck with shipping, in your case probably cheaper then gas..

OLD Ron likes this.
  7. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Nothing short here except in the food markets . With ammo. I have enough for the rest of my life already . About all I could run out of would rim fire . It is nice to know that the panic that hits people will not hit here ..... leaves time to go have fun .
    :)

Rifling82, PeeJay1313 and towboater like this.
  8. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

I noticed tonight that Sgammo and Targetsports were running low or out of a lot of the 9mm, 7.62X39, .223, and 5.56.

SGammo posted this: "Due to extremely high order volume orders placed at this time are expected to ship out in the next 5 to 10 days. Expect the potential for a 5 to 10 day delay from the time the order is placed to the time it is shipped from our warehouse."
    They usually ship same day or next day latest.

Case quantities are what is flying off the shelves. I recommend buying what you need for
    some period of time. Just best do it now.

Rifling82 and OLD Ron like this.
  9. sagia308

sagia308 Active Member

wierd 40 cal s&w has dried up? maybe because the 40 cal pistols have become so cheap over the past years people have bought a lot of them over the 9mm
    this is were i buy mine note all out of stock:(
    https://www.ammovalley.com/40-S-W-s/54001.htm

towboater likes this.
  10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

11. Flinchy

Flinchy Member

Can only speak to events in the past, specifically the election and reelection of the 44th President. I reload, so I don't check ammo at Wallyworld and others, except rimfire. I scrounge brass at local "range" (just DNR area with bull dozer berms and very spotty management).

First thing I noticed (as soon as O was announced the winner) was one caliber of brass simply disappeared, specifically 380 ACP. All other brass was impacted, but I could find inventory; not 380 ACP - gone.

On the retailer shelves all of the 22LR ammo disappeared right along with factory 380 ACP. Seemed like over night.

Got me to asking myself "WHY"? I figure these are the two most common calibers for concealed carry sized weapons out there.

Things s l o w l y got better, then reelection. Reset backward 4 years, except 17HMR dried up, too!

To sagia308: 40 S&W was the next least-found range brass all through the Obama years. Trump got in, economy loosened up, lots of 40 S&W pistols out there, lots of range brass to pick up.

That's the current state of things: people are leaving pounds and pounds of brass on the ground, even 380 ACP. (6.5mm Creedmoor appears to be the most picked up by its shooters)

12. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

The only gun store around here is Academy, they have a wide variety of rifle and handgun ammunition.

PaBushMan likes this.
  13. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I was looking online sites and online box stores that sell in the local area what the ammo status is. A lot of the rifle for the box stores local our listed as out-stock, same for hand gun. It seems in my area panic buying is not just related to TP, cleaning and food. My wife was at Cabela's the other day, it was packed to the hill!

14. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Glad im well stocked on ammo. And reloading supplies.

OLD Ron, Rifling82 and PeeJay1313 like this.
  15. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't looked at ammo for quite awhile, I haven't been shooting either. If I was smart, I would have bought a couple of those $400 AR-14 rifles last month, to sell now or at least trade for toilet paper. J/k

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  16. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Just ordered 4k of 9mm at less then $200 per 1k of new, brass casing. Only $20 shipping. I think that's pretty good..

17. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Looked at Natchez, the rifle ammo for specific calibers was sold out; except for the expensive 20 round boxes. Did drop an order for 9mm and 45 ACP, will watch and wait. Also, found this video from another site:

rn-cindy and PeeJay1313 like this.
  18. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

OK, I just now checked on SGammo and Targetsports. Only checked on 9mm and .223/5.56 ammo. I was mostly looking for fmj range ammo. I see nothing left except the more exotic and higher priced stuff. Even single boxes of Winchester WB and many others are also gone.
    You may see some on your local dealer shelves still, but won't for much longer I suspect.
    If you need some soon. better start looking to find and buy it now.

Political reason is main one right now I am told by a good friend who owns a local gun store. Remember, it is Election year once more.
    Corona Virus is driving it right now also.
    Gun sales are also brisk it seems. New gun owners also buying.

So, we have more than just one factor driving this beast right now. And it may well get worse.

Rifling82 likes this.
  19. Leftyfixit

Leftyfixit Member

This too shall pass and all of those hoarders will still have a lifetime supply of toilet paper to use before it rots. Silly panicing people.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020