Any Rennies?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Benning Boy, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Has anyone here ever attended a Rennaissance Festival?

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I wanted to but when I found out you had to wear green tights I passed. Plus I don't feel like singing that stupid freecreditreport.com song, but I might go if that guy is there so I can kick him in the nuts and smash is guitar over his darn head.

3. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

You are an angry, angry man.:D

4. bkt

bkt New Member

Yeah, the Sterling Renaissance Festival outside Oswego, NY. I actually worked there for a few summers in the early 1990s. (My then-new wife talked me into it. It wasn't my idea.) The festival owners were neurotically strict about authenticity: none of this green-tight bullsh*t. The year was 1585 and the location was Warwick, England. You needed period clothing made out of period material and it had to be hand sewn (or at the very least no machine stitching could be visible). Period dialect and accent were required. Swords, daggers and jewelry had to be appropriate to the period. Absolutely no anachronisms were allowed including eyeglasses, plastic, cameras or even a tan line from your wristwatch. If it didn't exist in 1585, you didn't wear it, hold it, drink from it or eat off it. (Money was the only exception to this rule.)

It was actually pretty cool and well done.

Unfortunately, ownership changed and it has started going downhill.

I still have a ton of battle-ready blades from when I worked there, too, which is cool.

But oh, how I miss the cleavage. Chicks were plentiful, gorgeous and extremely outgoing and friendly. One fine lady with enormous hooters who worked there wore a low-cut chemise and would put grapes in her ample cleavage and offer you some. Just shove your face in her chest and have at it. Good family fun.

Sometimes, we'd get guests who thought dressing up like Robin Hood was appropriate. Others dressed in duct tape "armor" with cardboard shields. We'd mercilessly mock the hell out of those freaks.

5. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Now that sounds incredibly cool.:cool:

6. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Tango, you a funny guy. Thanks for todays LOL.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

On a serious note. I have always wanted to go to one really. Thought it would be fun to drink some mead and knaw on a turkey leg.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I went to one in the early nineties. It was a different experience for sure. Some folks were truly and deeply into it. I would go again sometime just for fun, it's not my thing, but it was enjoyable.

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

There was alot of man love going on in that period of history. There was also a lack of cleanliness. Don't forget the plague and consumption. Stanky, toothless, nappy haired ladies were common. I would imagine vaginosis was very common as well. Anyone experience those things at those fairs? :eek:

Don't forget about VDs. :eek::eek:

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I went to about six of them in the late 90's. I had a friend who was "competing" in the Knight's Tournament and we would go and heckle the hell out of him. It was awesome fun. He would take a serious beating but won about 70% of his fights. They would hit him and he would have to "drop" one weapon and hold his arm limp ( he used a mace and long "sword" ) and somehow always managed to get hit in his sword arm, which was his dominant arm ).

The food was great. Everything was grease dripping off your wrist good.

I definitely enjoyed the time spent there at the Fair grounds. But, people do take that stuff a bit too seriously. :eek:

JD

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Used to go every year with my daughter when she was little. (6 y.o. to 12 y.o.) The kid had alot of fun and so did I. The jousting matches are cool, turkey legs were off the hook, many kinds of ale, lots of plays, and at times many well endowed women walking around in nothing more than 1/4" chain male. Things to buy like swords, axes, goblets, clothing, chain male, jewelry, along with other renaissance era stuff. These renaissance faires can get pricey if your buying stuff. I never got out of one without spending at least $400.00 not including admission fee's. They are however alot of fun especially if it is a well promoted event. The one I used to go to was on Hwy. 37 north of San Francisco heading towards San Rafael. It long has been gone from there due to the development of a housing tract on their site.

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Been to festivals in NY, NJ and AZ. Lots of fun although I don't get into the outfits and equipment. I mostly go for the women, beer and food. :D

Probably going to hit the one in NY this summer.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Larkspur CO. And they are the answer to "Whatever happened to the gypsies?"

14. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

There's a group, the SCA, that does re-enactments and stuff, and they're national. It's no joke. They live this stuff. States are broken into kingdoms, and they actually fight with rattan swords mounted on sword hilts.

These guys actually war against rival kingdoms, it's cool as hell.

I've done the faires in a kilt, and if you show them you're at least trying, they embrace you.

Working on my Leonidas gear for the upcoming one.;)

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Worked the Texas Rennaisance Festival in College. We had the t-shirt concession. We made good money. Oh the debauchery that went on at the crew parties Saturday night! Of course this was in the days before HIV so the campus Dr. could cure whatever ailed you.

16. warrioroftheland

warrioroftheland New Member

i went to one a few yrs back. it was fun. i got to throw tomatoes at a guys head. got em right in the nose. awww fun times. planning on attending this year too. my better half , some friends and i took a lil trip to the Ga coast for pirate fest last year and dont have the money for the trip this year so we have desided that we will take part in the ren. fest this year and wear our pirate costumes. i plan on being tanked the whole time, thats just want pirates do. i wonder if they will let me carrie my Kentucky Percussion Pistol ????:confused:

but yeah they are a blast. throwing axes, knives, sword fights, juggleing, mead, meat, guy blowing himself up.... i say its all around good family fun.