Any Recommendations For A First .22 Rifle?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by shadamai, Nov 29, 2011.

1. shadamai

shadamai New Member

Any recommendations for a first .22 rifle? I just got into shooting (handguns) this year and it seems to me that learning how to shoot a rifle is an important skill to learn. I would want it for learning/practicing/regular target shooting initially, plus the ability to to use it for small game down the road should food become scarce.

I talked with the people at my local range today and they offer lessons I can take to get started. Several of my family members are also interested in learning, so hopefully it will get a decent amount of use.

I've read through some of the old threads here and have seen that there are bolt actions, levers, and semi automatic rifles and I'm not sure what the advantages/disadvantages are. I'd like to get something that is good quality. I do really like the look of those handsome wood stock rifles, but that is obviously not the most important aspect. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Anything from marlin is good. Ruger 10/22, henry, winchester and older remingtons are all great little 22s. If you want accuracy then bolts are usually the way to go. The question i should have asked first is what is your price range? The ones i mentioned are the cheaper end with the most expensive being henry i do believe.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

I was in the same spot a while back, not sure if I'd even like rifle shooting. I got some advice from one of my bandmates when I was thinking of learning to play and buying a guitar..."Get a brand name, spend about 200 bucks, if you don't stick with it, you're only out 200 and you can always recoup the money, if you do, you've got something to build from". Following that advice, I did a little research (thank you TONS FTF'ers), hit the wally world and walked out with a Ruger 10/22. $120, cheap ammo/accessories and whaddya know, I LOVE IT!!! So now, I own 4 guitars and 3 rifles. Still can't play guitar worth a crap but it's fun to try. Can't shoot much better (rifles anyways) but I never had a bad day with it. Tons of choices when it comes to customizing...be careful, you can spend A LOT really easily, but I just left mine stock. Ruger 10/22 gets my vote, hope that helps! :D

Also, Ruger has a great service dept...so I'm told, never had a problem with any Ruger but that's comforting...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  4. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

Look at a Henry Lever action. Good rifle and still made in the USA. Plus fun to shoot!

5. kdog

kdog New Member

Have a look at the Anschütz 520 (CIL300).

Pretty accurate, good german quality und fun to shoot.
    Also it has, like the 10/22 a standard 10 round magazine, instead of the tubed mag (pipe mag) and mags are fairly cheap to get.

6. dmp

dmp New Member

My vote goes M&P15-22 :) Has tons of features - lots of room for growth.

7. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

Id reccomend a 10/22, there's soooo much to do with it. There are carbon/fiberglass stocks, different barrels, bolt setups, even 200 rnd mags! So long as you have one it won't get oldbits just plain fun to shoot

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'll 2nd that motion. It's more fun that a barrel of monkeys, and by far is the easiest design to maintain.

2nd choice would be a Marlin 60.

9. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

A slow but accurate bolt action is a great way to start and to really hone shooting skills, and there are a lot of great options in the 22LR bolt action category.

Browning T-Bolt Sporter
    [​IMG]

CZ-USA 452 or 453
    [​IMG]

10. jeepster69

jeepster69 New Member

i like the 10/22 as well,its only limits is how much can u spend,the aftermarket is huge!

11. jeepster69

jeepster69 New Member

heres a bad pic of my 10-22

Attached Files:

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

What kind of trigger is that? Also what scope is that?

13. Stillwater

Stillwater New Member

A knowledgable rifle shooter, familiar with quality .22 rifles would never buy a Henry, or recommend one... Now why would I say that? It's because most rifle shooters do not know enough about rifles to recommend a good one.

With most rifle owners, they read one magazine and automatically become an expert. If you don't have a great mentor, It takes years of experience to become a rifle expert, on your own.

Look at the Henry receiver, it's painted, very cheaply so. Take it apart and see how cheaply the lockwork is made.

If you want a bolt gun buy a Marlin if you want to buy something relatively cheap. If you want quallity, buy a CZ452.

If you want a semi-auto the Ruger 10/22 is probably the way to go. I bought the sporter model over 40 years ago and it is still soldiering on.

I try to buy quality in ever think I buy. In .22 rifles, I have Winchesters and Marlins, mainly. In Winchesters I have a Model 61, a Model 62A, a Model 63 and Model 52. If you know anyting about .22 rifles, those are the best you can get.

If you like Lever guns, I have several Marlin 39A's and two Winchesters. One Winchester lever gun is a Model 9422, and the other is a Model 9422M the .22 (WRFM) Magnum model.

Bill

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  14. OlympicFox

OlympicFox New Member

Excellent Beginner 22LR Rifle

I can't imagine a better entry level 22LR rifle than the Ruger 10/22. In particular the stainless version with synthetic stock. Inexpensive, available everywhere, reliable, reasonably accurate and the stainless/synthetic version can take a lot of neglect and not show it. If/when you feel like you're outgrowing the basic 10/22 there are zillions of upgrade parts available to turn it into anything from a show piece to a slick & racy target rifle.

15. towboater

towboater Active Member

I'd say learn open sights first, then if ya want, mount a scope. Marlin 39A is a great rifle. Lots of fun. Everyone needs a Ruger 10/22. Bolt actions are also great. Shop around a bit, Pick em up, check em out. See what ya like.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Great advice. As to the henrys being junk-some are and some arent. The older ones arent.

17. kdog

kdog New Member

Here is a pic of my Anschütz 520 (CIL300). It`s the one in the front.

[​IMG]

18. montveil

montveil New Member

+1 on the 10-22.
    It is a great beginning firearm, reasonably accurate out of the box, fun to shoot, you can always upgrade to something more expensive in the future. BUT I guarantee, you will not get rid of the 10-22.
    Learn to shoot with a coach, go to an Appleseed shoot, @ Project Appleseed Home. When you get proficient then maybe go to something different

19. Stillwater

Stillwater New Member

Of course, it's the one in the front. The one in the rear is a Browning (take down) .22 semi-Automatic rifle...

Bill

20. Stillwater

Stillwater New Member

Project Appleseed is good advice, inspite of the unusual name...

Bill