Firearms Talk banner

any other certified instructor besides NRA??

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Mason609 
#1 ·
I want to get my instructor certification to teach CHL classes. Is there any other certification besides NRA certification? If it has to be NRA its going to be over a year before there's a class anywhere near me

#2 ·
Gunsmith,

Unfortunately, probably none that would be recognized by the general public or other entities. And that is an important issue when comes to teaching classes and having credibility. But if it is not a recognized certification it is not worth much and probably will limit attendance due to the fact. Another issue is, if you would ever have to go to court to defend the program, I would want and NRA Certified Program to verify my certification as well as the credibility of the course. Now days there is every tom, dick, and harry out there teaching everything under the sun to make a dollar. But some have little experience as well as none if any real recognized certifications of any kind. That will probably be fine until they run into any situations or legal issues. Teaching firearms is an area of liability where things can happen very easily. And Insurance is expensive to cover the courses if you insure for them. Of course the only way to do it is to have a business and Limited Liability Corporation in my opinion to somewhat protect you.
So with all of this said even if you have to take some vacation time and travel to an NRA school in the meantime it might be well worth your while. Or wait for the class to come to your area. But the NRA would be my choice for civilian instructors as well as LE instructors.

#3 ·
Gunsmith,

Unfortunately, probably none that would be recognized by the general public or other entities. And that is an important issue when comes to teaching classes and having credibility. But if it is not a recognized certification it is not worth much and probably will limit attendance due to the fact. Another issue is, if you would ever have to go to court to defend the program, I would want and NRA Certified Program to verify the credibility of the course. Now days there is every tom, dick, and harry out there teaching everything under the sun to make a dollar. But some have little experience as well as none if any real recognized certifications of any kind. That will probably be fine until they run into any situations or legal issues. Teaching firearms is an area of liability where things can happen very easily. And Insurance is expensive to cover the courses if you insure for them. Of course the only way to do it is to have a business and Limited Liability Corporation in my opinion to somewhat protect you.
So with all of this said even if you have to take some vacation time and travel to an NRA school in the meantime it might be well worth your while. Or wait for the class to come to your area. But the NRA would be my choice for civilian instructors as well as LE instructors.

Yeah that's probably the best option. Thank you

#6 ·
Unfortunately, patience is one of the best virtues of an instructor. Hone your shooting skills, take other classes, start making plans for when you do get your instructor certification. Write some lessons and pre-plan your teaching. There's a lot more to being a good instructor than any instructor certification.
Getting an instructor certification doesn't make one a good teacher. Take some teaching classes if there are any around you. Volunteer as an assistant to an instructor around you and learn some tricks of the trade.

#11 ·
Gunsmith,

Unfortunately, probably none that would be recognized by the general public or other entities.

As long as the certification course is approved by the state, that's all that matters.

The general public that are uninformed about firearms, will also be unaware that there are firearms safety courses.

#12 · (Edited)
You can go to the OSBI website and get a list of instructors, and call any in your area to find out if they also do instructor certification courses.

Or, go to a LGS and speak with people there.

Just because there aren't any classes scheduled for the rest of the year, doesn't mean you can't find an instructor willing to do a one-on-one (some may even prefer that).

I do agree with DenverSteve. Be patient, learn how to instruct, find an instructor willing to allow you to assist. Definitely make sure your people skills are honed (IMO more important than your ability to shoot - which is also important). Take whatever advanced courses you can (providing you have the funding).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.