Any new reports on the Pigs down by Mtn Home

Discussion in 'Idaho Gun Forum' started by Flat Tire, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

I had heard about a year ago we had some down in the Mtn Home area. I think Fish and Game was saying we need to get rid of them and they were saying it is a open season. I know the whistle pigs are coming out soon and was thinking a big spring pig would be fun as well.

2. pike

pike New Member

Used to be a lot of WP in the Simco Rd area south of the freeway, , but it has been quite while since I was there when WP's were out and about. Last year we saw plenty just East of Mt. Home along 84, they were running everywhere.
    Yes, shooting will begin soon, we have seen a few west of Boise, but they will not be out in force for a few weeks, and we usually wait until they are finished having young, Will be soon, then until June or early July depending on the weather.
    No season or limits, BLM maps are a good thing to keep you on public land where permission is not needed.
    Hope this year is as good as the last few have been.
    Good luck.

3. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

I think what I meant was pigs as boars. The bigger ones.

4. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

Ok I am a little confused? Are you guys talking about wild pigs or ground hogs/rock chucks? I didn't know we had wild pigs in idaho.

5. bastage

bastage New Member

So I have read several articles on this.. I bet with an anxious as allot of us Idaho hunters are to go shoot a pig if they posted a sightings map on the IDFG website the issue could be taken care of pretty quick like. I would jump on the road & make the short drive to mountain home for sure if I knew where to go looking for some bacon..

6. towboater

towboater Active Member

THats some fine engraving.

7. bastage

bastage New Member

8. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

It is good for the farmers...... but it would be fun to have them here. It will just have to be a hunt you travel to.

9. bastage

bastage New Member

Indeed.. Though I havent even had a chance to go to hunting locally in a couple years.. So chances of me traveling to hunt for a pig are slim at this point.. Would like to have something closer to home with substance enough to eat.

10. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

I have two brothers that live in Hawaii and they both eat a lot of pig. It isn't hunting the way they shoot pigs there. Good meat but the pigs are so plentiful it is more of a harvest. In Texas a lot of the pigs don't taste good. The best eating pigs I have read about are the ones that are mixed with Russian Boars. Most of these are on private property. Northern Calif also has great pig hunts.

11. pike

pike New Member

I like to be able to hunt pigs right here in our own back yard, but from what I read of the destruction they cause in southern states, it is undoubtedly a good thing over all, there are no wild populations in Idaho.

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

And regarding to a study on pigs (The Big Ones!)
    It is amazing how they can reproduce! For example:
    2 Sows who each produced 6 piglets each the first year and the fact the young pigs can breed in 13 months. If 50% of the young pigs born to the two sows were female this would generate a possibility of 30 pigs total by the beginning of the third year. In fact it was stated that to hold the pig population at an even level 70% of the total population would have to be killed each year. We obviously know that does not happen. If we took the 30 pigs from the beginning of year three and 50% of them were female into year four we could have a total of 90 pigs in year four. So you can readily see why the pig population can rapidly get out of hand. Where I hunt in Texas the farmers there use to raise peanuts. But the hogs litteraly put them out of the peanut business. They would enter a field during the night and completely annihilate the crops eating and rooting up everything in sight! They now raise cotton there. One weekend a rancher we know used a Helicopter for the weekend and shot 300 pigs over the weekend.

I will be in Texas in November to contribute to the pig control as well as to get some more pig breakfast sausage with cheese and Jalapenos mixed in to get me through the next year! And I have my day and night pig thumper ready to go and sighted in! Rock River Arms 458 SOCOM w Night unit which is an ATN Night Vision PS-2 3rd Gen. Shooting Hornady 325 gr. FTX.

Attached Files: