Any love for the 280 Remington?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by NativH, Aug 25, 2011.

1. NativH

NativH New Member

Got the bug for a new rifle for whitetails, axis, hogs, etc and am considering a 280. Never shot one but just remember fond stories in the cabin about the round. I already have the 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag so the heavier rounds are definitely covered. Also considering the 270, 308, 7-08, but wonder what your experiences are with the 280 in particular. Any lovers of this round out there with thoughts for medium sized game? Thanks

2. Wambli

Wambli Member

The .280 is one of my favorite chamberings. If you are a handoader you can push it up to Magum levels of performance if needed, or keep it mild and a joy to shoot. There are tons of option in bullets from light/fast to heavies and even match. The commercial offerings are very good and I have had a love affair with 7mm's all my life. You might want to strongly consider it's more popular sibling the 7mm-08. A mild mannered do it all round that exceeds my expectations every time.

Now you do realize that you are going to be hit by a crap storm from everyone South of the Mason-Dixon because why would you dare take a .280 over their almost cultlike beloved .270? :D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

3. Wambli

Wambli Member

Just another thought. The .280 (and your othe options) is pretty close on performance to rounds you already have. Have you given any thought to a 25-06? That would broaden the range of your battery o rifles a little and take you from Varnints to Brown bear comfortably and the 25-06 is a great round for medium sized game.

4. NativH

NativH New Member

I do love causing a good uproar on occasion so let 'em fly.:D A 25-06 is a down the line rifle for me so it is definitely on the list. I don't do any varmit hunting, yet, although I've been to places recently (Utah) where you almost kicked the damn things with your boots as you shuffle across the pasture. I could probably do without any new rifle and make the wife most happy. But I'm always wanting/needing something else and have the high end covered up to the 416 Rem Mag. The 280 appears to be flatter shooting than a 7-08 and pretty much dead nuts equal with the 270. No 7MM's yet and the 280 seems like an interesting semi-long range round with almost 30-06 power. Never really wanted a 270, nothing against them, just not a 270 or 7MM Mag kind of guy. Lots of folks don't want a 338 Win Mag but I don't hold that against them. I love that we have the choices.

5. 300WSM

300WSM New Member

I cant say anything about the 280 other then what ive read in reloading manuals. So my vote goes for the 243 or a 7-08.
    I think people tend to under estimate the 243 and the 7-08 too there own detriment.:(

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have a NEF Handi Rifle in 280. It shoots 139 grain Hornady Super Performance SST's like a dream.

270, 280, 308, 30-06, all produce venison. The 30-06 is the only one I don't own in some form or another.