Any love for Bersa Thunder Plus 380?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Rancid, Aug 1, 2020.

1. SK2344

SK2344 Active Member

Nice Package and I have not heard any bad things about this gun but the only reason I did not pick it over my LCP II is the size and weight. For me, a .380 gun needs to be very small, light and ultra concealable for deep cover carry. For this same reason, I never purchased a Walther PPK.

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

"Deep cover" depends entirely on how you dress. I can easily conceal my Thunder Plus. I see no value in a gun so small that I can't hit anything with it beyond about 3 yards.

SK2344 likes this.

3. SK2344

SK2344 Active Member

I agree in what you are saying but I was just speaking with my personal feeling about the .380 pistol which I like very much and I'm quite sure your Gun is a fine shooter too but I also shoot my LCP II very well enough to defend myself and I just love everything about my gun and I never had a problem with it in over two years. For me The Bersa or the PPK is just too big and I can get a 9mm with that size & Weight! This is NOT an argument but just a personal like or dislike of a Gun Platform and nothing more! I'm happy for you!

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. Rancid

I am happy for you too! Shoot well!

SK2344 likes this.
  5. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

One of the many guns on my to get list is a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 9mm... it comes in 45 also

58888858-4DCD-49B9-86B0-AD70B32D7BF8.jpeg

6. Rancid

That's a nice gun, but bigger than the Thunder 380. Maybe not by much, but still bigger. And loaded with Underwood Xtreme Defender / Xtreme Penetrator ammo my 380 is right in there with most 9mm rounds.
    If I go bigger it is my full-size 1911.

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Have a good friend that got the Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 9mm. He came out to our farm to shoot and share in "manly stuff" (shooting). It was a great visit with lots of shooting going on. He shot my 1911, P-38, my 92FS I bought from him years earlier when he worked at a gun shop, and my Thunder 380 Combat. I shot his Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 9mm. He was very good with it, I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it. It was clearly me and not the gun, but sometimes two pieces just don't fit.

SK, as far as carrying, my Thunder 380 Combat fits very nicely in an Uncle Mike's #2 pocket holster in my jeans' back pocket, to the point where I often forget it is even there. In goes in my back pocket as part of dressing in the morning. It also provides some space-balance to my wallet in the other back pocket when I'm sitting on my a$$.

I'm still interested in a Combat Plus, but until mag availability improves, I'll hold off. My standard is at least six mags for a semi-auto firearm, with at least one carried in addition to that in the gun. Personal preference...

formerCav and Rifling82 like this.
  8. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

My BT380 was accurate and felt good in the hand. That's about all that's good I can say about it. It dimpled primers, Bersa said it was normal, but would not hit tue primer hard enough to set it off. The magazines kept malfunctioning. Bersa kept sending me new ones. when the slide failed. They sent me a new one of those too. The primers kept dimpling, the magazine springs kept failing. I ran a CC course with it just to see if it would pass. it had a 60% failure rate. another mag spring gave up the ghost. The RSO noted that it was some of the most accurate shooting he had seen, too bad the gun itself didn't work. Then the 2nd slide failed. Bersa fixed it again and I promptly traded it on a Beretta Cheetah.

One more good thing. The customer service was great. I certainly had the opportunity to test it out well.

Rifling82 likes this.
  9. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

Visited my brother who was shooting plates with my baby brother. All I had with me was my LCP II. I was analects run all 5 plates with the 7 rounds I had in my Ruger.

Rifling82 likes this.
  10. Rancid

Cool.

11. Rifling82

I like my LCP II. It’s easy shooting and easy to conceal

12. Rancid

Well, different strokes for different folks. What floats your boat sinks mine.
    The LCP II is a DA only gun which automatically rules it out for me, not even to be considered because I cannot hit the broad side of a barn with that kind of gun. It is also like a freaking Glock with no safety except "Don't pull the trigger, stupid" and you couldn't pay me enough to carry a gun designed like that.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Rifling82 likes this.
  13. Rifling82

The LCP 1 is a double action only gun, long trigger pull..... they fixed that on the II it’s a pretty good trigger in fact they used that same trigger on the Security 9

Greg_r likes this.
  14. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

^^^yup^^^

Rifling82 likes this.