Featured Any love for Bersa Thunder Plus 380?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Rancid, Aug 1, 2020 at 12:41 AM.

1. Rancid

Rancid Member

Any love for Bersa Thunder Plus 380?
    AA BERSA 380 02.JPG

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

3. Rancid

Rancid Member

I love mine. Can't beat 16 rounds ready to go, and mine has proven to be ultra-reliable, accurate, very safe to carry, and with a VERY nice trigger. And it fits in my inside vest pocket.

SK2344 likes this.
  4. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

I bought my sister a Thunder for her first carry weapon years ago. It's been a great piece, reliable and easy to carry either in a holster or her purse.
    DSCN0401.JPG
    I later gave her a Ruger SR9C but she continues to carry the Bersa.
    Should make her give me back the Ruger!:D

Rifling82 likes this.
  5. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I don't have the plus. Just a standard thunder. I like it.

RJF22553 and Rifling82 like this.
  6. Rancid

Rancid Member

I have the Thunder 22 as well as the 380 Plus. The Plus's grips are only 1/10" wider, but they do fill my hand better. I love the 22 as well ... makes for inexpensive training, and with CCI minimag ammo it runs flawlessly. I actually haven't even tried it with anything but CCI since I have 10,000 rounds of CCI. :)

RJF22553 and PaBushMan like this.
  7. Rancid

Rancid Member

WHY ISN'T THERE A BERSA FORUM IN THE SEMI-AUTO HANDGUNS SUB FORUMS???

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I tend to like the feel of the single stack, just a little better. It was the same with the Beretta .380s as well. The single stack just felt better.

But, they seem to have a loyal following.

RJF22553 likes this.
  9. Rancid

Rancid Member

Beretta makes a 380? :D:D:D:D

SSGN_Doc likes this.
  10. SSGN_Doc

Si.

[​IMG]

PaBushMan and Rifling82 like this.
  11. Rancid

Rancid Member

Just funin' ... I have always had a "crush" on the Cheetah.

12. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

does anyone notice if their Bersa Thunder 380 leaves mark's on the primers after loading and decocking?

Rifling82 likes this.
  13. Rancid

Rancid Member

Neither my 380 or 22 do. If they did I would chuck them in a heartbeat. The decocking lever is one piece with a solid steel block that rotates to be between the hammer and the back of the slide ... before the hammer even drops. So unless the hammer can mash solid steel, there is no way for it to contact the firing pin.

In addition, all newer Bersa Thunders including the CC model have a plunger based firing pin block. The firing pin is blocked whether the safety lever is on or off UNLESS the trigger is pulled.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 8:30 PM
    RJF22553 likes this.
  14. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Have two Bersas: a .380 Thunder Combat (8+1) and a Thunder .22. Both fine shootin' irons with an easy takedown and easy-to-clean. The .22 is flawless with CCI Minimags, crappy with anything else. The .380 is my CCW and I am confident it will do its job, each and every time. It has been 100% reliable over the past three years. I shoot only FMJ ammo (predominantly PMC).

I would love the Plus version, and may get one. The only hang-up for me is mag availability...I typically want six mags for any semi-auto firearm that takes a mag, but the Plus models always seem to have a mag availability "challenge". Fix that and a Plus would be in my back pocket right now.

15. Rancid

Rancid Member

Personally, two Plus magazines is 30 rounds, more than I will ever need in a firefight. Actually, one magazine is plenty. I got a factory spare magazine when I bought my Plus. I don't remember where I got it, but I think directly from Bersa. And it didn't take long to get it ... but I believe it cost me around $40.00

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 1:56 PM
  16. PaBushMan

I do not use the decocker on any of my guns that have the feature. I don't trust them.

Rifling82 likes this.
  17. Rancid

Rancid Member

Easy enough on the Thunder to just use your thumb to lower the hammer, then use the decocker to deactivate the trigger and block the hammer from contacting the firing pin.

RJF22553 likes this.
  18. SSGN_Doc

Interesting. I fully trust the Beretta decocker, more than I trust the hammer to not slip from under m6 thumb. Plus the way it is designed there are multiple blocks to firing pin travel built in, one of which is defeated when you pull the trigger and the other is bypassed.

seems safer to use the decocker, leaving the firing pin block in place, and rotating part of the two piece firing pin out of the channel. But...

also I do t know what pistols you use with decockers but most feature one or more impediments to firing pin travel that get defeated when one opts to use the trigger to decock. I also understand putting the thumb on the face of the hammer is a fairly safe method, which I have used with pistols without decockers.

Under stress or when using a single hand though, I really like having a decocker and using it before holstering.

RJF22553 likes this.
  19. PaBushMan

Yep i drop the hammer manually. I only use the ones with decockers at the range too.

Rifling82 likes this.
  20. SSGN_Doc

Bersa as a company employed some former Beretta designers. The Thunder has several similarities in the trigger works with Beretta.

RJF22553 and PaBushMan like this.