Any KB problems with XD45's

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by GhostWolf7017, Feb 18, 2008.

1. GhostWolf7017

GhostWolf7017 New Member

I was choosing between 2 guns, the XD45C and Glock 30. Then I read on Glock forum about KB's and was wondering if the XD's have had similar problems.

2. Defender

Defender New Member

KB's with Glocks are fairly common, while they are pretty rare with the XD.

Glocks are also known for failures to eject, stovepipes and even slamfires.

Overall, the XD is safer and more reliable.

I've been on the gun show circuit in a two state area since the 1980's. Several large and reputable dealers have told me that the XD is now the #1 selling pistol in the USA, as far as sales to the public. These were dealers who sold BOTH brands, so they had nothing against Glock.

Glock is still #1 in law enforcement sales, but multiple agencies and PD's have discontinued using Glocks over the last several years.

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I don't know that I'd say that they are common.

If I'm not mistaken, the XDs also have an unsupported chamber like the Glocks, so it is a potential problem for both firearms.

4. Defender

Defender New Member

I said FAIRLY common, which is an accurate statement. Ask the Indiana State Police, who returned an entire shipment of weapons to Glock because of all the problems they had with them, and ended up going with a different brand.

XD's have a FULLY SUPPORTED chamber, Matt. Don't take my word for it. Google and ye shall find! :)

5. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Good to know, thanks for fixing it for me.

6. GhostWolf7017

GhostWolf7017 New Member

Looks like XD is the way to go for me.

7. Defender

Defender New Member

You won't regret buying an XD.

I'm not saying all or even most Glocks "suck". However, there are enough well-documented design, quality control and safety issues with various models of Glock, to be of concern to anyone looking to buy one.

Glocks are also notoriously picky about what ammo you put in them. If you're interested in handloading, don't even consider a Glock.

8. Quigs

Quigs New Member

I was set on getting a Glock until I heard of the XD. I did some research and well I now own a XD .45 full size. great pistol.

9. Defender

Defender New Member

Another wise buyer who did his research and bought an XD! :)

10. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

County Sheriff deputy in Colorado just KB an XD40....his fault.

He loaded 9mm into the mag, chambered a round...figuered out he had put the wrong ammo in the mag and switched to a mag full of 40's.

Ran the slide and pulled the trigger......the round of 40 had pushed the round of 9 into the barrel.....and when the 40 went off KABOOM !

Blew the entire front of the slide, frame and barrel off foward of the chamber.

Operator error...not a XD issue.

11. Defender

Defender New Member

Thanks for the info. :)

Just goes to show that virtually NO weapon made can prevent accidents due to "SHS" (Sheer Human Stupidity :D), and that strict discipline and adherence to proper safety rules MUST be practiced at ALL times.

Virtually all XD kB's are operator error, whereas a significant number of Glock kB's are due to design deficiencies etc.

12. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

No, they don't. They couldn't feed if they had a fully supported chamber...

13. Defender

Defender New Member

Excerpt from a technical profile on the XD in Guns & Ammo magazine:

"Other notable features include a fully supported chamber, an ambidextrous magazine release, built-in light rail on all models and easily changeable sights."

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/techside/xd_010305/

14. Defender

Defender New Member

"The XD uses a fully supported chamber design which reinforces the rear of the ammunition case. A fully supported chamber reduces the possibility of an ammunition case rupture that could cause injury to the shooter and severely damage the gun. This is an especially important feature for owners who intend to use +P and/or reloaded ammunition."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Armory_XD#Pros

15. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

Look at a wheelgun. That is a fully-supported chamber. Auto-loaders, by design, cannot have a fully-supported chamber. They must be throated to allow the cartridge to enter.

And Wikipedia is a terrible source to cite...

16. Defender

Defender New Member

But Guns & Ammo is an EXCELLENT source, and they say it's fully supported. I'll take their expertise over an internet nobody like yourself.

17. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

No, it's not that good of a source either, particularly because it's wrong.

Tell you what. Take out the barrel, take a .45, put it in the chamber, then shine a flashlight down the barrel. If you can see light, then it's not fully-supported...

18. Defender

Defender New Member

19. Defender

Defender New Member

20. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

Just because something is repeated over and over, does not make it true.

If it had a fully supported chamber, it would not feed...

Do the test I suggested.