Any input would help-mossberg 702 "plinkster"

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by BLUNTTrauma72, Oct 30, 2011.

1. BLUNTTrauma72

BLUNTTrauma72 New Member

Im thinking about getting one there only a c-note at wal-mart

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

So is the Marlin 795 (after rebate) and I would take that any day over the Mossberg Plinkster action. With that said, I don't have any experience with the Mossberg but the reviews have not been overwhelmingly positive.

3. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

I have the 702 Plinkster, but I have to say Marlin is worth the buy over the Mossberg. That having been said, I have NEVER had problems with my 702. I'm attaching a list of bullets through the gun so far. Seriously, never a real problem. If you want to know anything more specifically, feel free to ask.

Attached Files:

4. somawas

somawas New Member

Had a Mossberg 702 and 802 plinkster. Key word here is HAD. Never liked the action of either rifle. Before I buy another Mossberg bolt rifle new, I'll check the pawn shops for a bargain for a used Marlin, Savage, or Remington, and not really concerned with the age if it appears to be in good condition.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, the Mossberg Plinkster is a $100 gun :eek:
    Had one, put a $25 scope on it - Sold it for $100 - was happy to get it :rolleyes:

6. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

Have a 702 with about 1500 rds through it with no problems. But it is for sale, I will put the money toward a Henry lever action or a S&W M&P 15-22. Really I have no complaints with it.

7. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I bought one for $100 and gave it away. They feel like toy guns, mine was not accurate, wouldnt buy another for $60.

8. jco69

jco69 New Member

I have the 802 and love it, for the money you can't beat it.

9. zpatatus

zpatatus New Member

Wikipedia says...

"The Model 702 is made in Brazil by Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos (CBC) and is imported under the Mossberg name. It is essentially the CBC Model 7022 restyled to Mossberg's specifications and previously sold under the MagTech brand name...The bolt and receiver design is modeled on the Model 70 variant of the Marlin Model 60; the ejector, firing mechanism and feed system are different."

IMO, for about the same money you are better off getting a Marlin 795.

10. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

I agree, get the Marlin for the price difference.....but the 702 is an AWESOME gun for the money!

11. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Marlin 795 should be $99 at several sporting goods stores tomorrow...THEN you send in the $25 Marlin Rebate off the Marlin Website...
    which makes it a nice $75 rifle, Beat That ;)

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Be sure to let us know what stores :rolleyes:

13. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

You're right, you can't. I'm just answering the OP. It's a GREAT gun....even if there are better for the money.