Any ideas on disabling your firearm in shtf scenerio so it would be useless

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by downsouth, Nov 23, 2012.

1. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Is there such a critter as a thermite bullet that would just melt the damn thing down, or something similar. I would hate my gun to be used against good people by bad guys if I had to make the last stand. Ideas anyone ?

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Only in Hollyweird :eek:
    Just keep a sledge hammer around---One wack in the right place ;)

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I read a book about Navy SEALs in Vietnam, and the author claims they would leave partial magazines at firefights, and some of the bullets would be filled with an explosive instead of powder. Said he saw a Vietcong pick up a rifle, aim, and it blew up in his face.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, not going to comment on that BUT you cud just fill a few cases FULL of powder & leave a couple in watever gun you had to leave :eek:

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Just imagine a rifle case loaded to the brim with H110.

6. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Just jab the muzzle in the ground and wipe away any traces of mud on the outside.

7. 25-5

25-5 New Member

The slide, cylinder, bolt, or any part can easily be removed. No innocent could be hurt. You could keep for your return or discard.
    Me, I'am taking everything. Don't know how, but, that's what I plan.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Ya mean, like a quick and efficient way to disable it upon death?

A noble and novel idea, but you're gonna be dead, therefore, you really ain't gonna care at that point.

Sorry buddy, I can't think of anything. Even if I could, what if you're lucky and you die quick, like from a head shot? No time to do anything then...

Maybe if you can pull the firing pin and a few other small parts real fast and throw them out into some tall grass. But short of utter destruction, I can't think of anything that can be done quick and not repaired later.

9. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I heard the same thing. Practically speaking, the sledgehammer idea is probably better. Alternatively, you could rig the house to burn, that'd take care of more than one problem.......:)

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, if it is a Glock, drop it on any hard surface............

:D Yeah, I know, but could not resist!

Seriously, field expedient destruction depends on the weapon. AR? Retract bolt, place butt on ground, muzzle on any solid object a foot high, stomp on the ejection port with your full weight.

Mosin-Nagant- same technique, but instead of stomping, drive main battle tank over the receiver. Several times.

11. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

I would hate for my guns not to be useful to good people.

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

???

In a SHTF situation ANYONE not part of your immediate group IS an outsider and therefore a THREAT.

Why would you give a damn what or who your guns get used on after your dead?

Your notion that there will still be "good people" post SHTF speaks to a bit of naïveté...

No offense...just saying. ;)

Tack

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I figure if this is a big concern of yours you are going to think way ahead. Maybe just turn them in in the next Chicago "buyback" program. They are in safe hands then. :rolleyes:

14. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Really ! You have two sons I believe and live out in the rural parts. All hell breaks loose and you tell your boys to run. You stay behind in a desperate situation trying to buy them time but know it is hopeless. At this point you are going to wish you had sold your gun(s) to chicago?

My point is I don't want the off chance of those I sent ahead to be killed by the gun I left.

Thanks for the input VD

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I'm not figuring on telling the wife and kids to run, and I would be surprised if they did in any case. Besides, I wasn't saying that I would sell off my guns to Chicago, I was suggesting that you do it.;) You asked a question, I was offering my two cents, granted it was a bit sarcastic.

16. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Just a bit sarcastic maybe. I liked you better when you were drinking. :p

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

So did I.:(

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

I liked me better when I was drinking too...

I'm about due for another range trip to Olive Branch, MS, where there is bourbon and coke, good friends and good food... And a funny dog. Can't forget the dog.

19. Colby

Colby New Member

Lot of good ideas here.

Another simple one - squirt glue into the guns actions - or barrels. Would be very quick - for those with lots of gun to dispose of.

Or soak in Muriatic acid (hydrochloric).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I just can't help but think "What if I make it through this and need this again?" This probably comes from my years of experience where I will throw away or scrap a given item and a week later I desperately need that specific item. Happens all the time to me.