Any ideas im right hand dominant but left eye dominant!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by zim223, Oct 3, 2013.

1. zim223

zim223 New Member

I love shooting right handed but I like keeping both my eyes open and I can't aim down the sights like that with a rifle like my ar and akm I only shot one rifle that I could aim down on my right side and it was a lee enfield witch I loved but it was my buddy's and he bought the last one I was thinking if I was to put a sight or something on my ar and just raised it so I can aim down on my right side but my only problem with that is I didn't want it to not be accurate and I did t want to spend all the money if It didn't work any ideas

2. zim223

zim223 New Member

It was suppose to be eye instead of I my bad

3. spack762

spack762 New Member

Train yourself to be more right I dominant. It is not easy, and if you dont keep at it you will slip back to left I dominant. I too am right handed, left I dominant.

4. zim223

zim223 New Member

How would I train?

5. 01bullitt

01bullitt New Member

I'm the same way, with pistols it's much easier because I can use my left eye. When I use my right I'm usually off target a couple inches. Suggestions please!

6. AR10

AR10 New Member

On pistols, you just move your sight over to the other eye.

Interesting question, will be following this thread.

7. zim223

zim223 New Member

Yeah I'm good with pistols to I'm just fine with those cause I use my left eye but most rifles I can't use my left eye holding t on the right and less like there is a scope mounted on my ar carry handle and the only rifle I can aim down that I know of so far on my right side Is the lee enfield

8. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Wear safety glasses, put frosted tape over the left eye's lenses. Learn how to shoot 'left handed'. (Before the 'Great .22lr Shortage of 2013’, I was working on shooting L handed, both rifle & pistol.)

9. zim223

zim223 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I will try to do the glasses thing and if all else fells I will just be a left handed shooter I guess lol I still love firearms either way.

10. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I'm right side,left eye dominant as well. I've been told I'm a great shot with a handgun but not nearly with a rifle that's not scoped. Guess forcing myself to use my right eye on long guns is enough to throw me off.

I shoot clay pigeons with both eyes open,and with some fairly consistent success.

11. zim223

zim223 New Member

Yeah when I shoot a shotgun I'm pretty consistent buck I guess that's cause it's bird and buck most of time and I normally just point with the bead sight

12. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

My roommate had the same issue. Instead of attempting to train you eyes he decided to train his hands. All of a sudden we've got ourselves a south paw, he's worked at it over the years but he has got I'm done like he was lefty all along.

13. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You could try closing one eye !...............

14. spack762

spack762 New Member

I've used the gkasses trick to train my eyes. I don't know if training with air shoft would be cheaper than 22lr, but I've done that as well to keep up on eye training.

15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I've always just shot long guns left handed. It's worked well for me for over 42 years.
    I can also shoot right handed almost as good with long guns,but that took some practice.
    Pistols,I shoot with either hand or eye.

Practice,Practice,Practice!!!

16. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have always been right handed and left eye dominant and never knew it was a problem! In fact it has never been for me I'm a good pistol shot and when it comes to long guns (all of mine are scoped )
    it for me at least is a plus. I excel at the running deer shoots and have won a few locally, keeping both eyes open is a plus in that game.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

might try getting an eye patch and wear it as much as possible doing day to day stuff. you might find that your dominance shifts by forcing it to happen on a daily basis for a while.

18. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

Eye patch. Or eye glasses with a blacked out lenss. Or learn to shoot left handed

19. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I have shot left eyed right handed with handguns for 40 years. Rifles are scoped and adjusted well to my bad eye or I have receiver sights and I shot right eye right hand but also practice left handed for that sometime shot where you just have to switch up. . I can't shoot right/ right with normal rear left sights.

20. zim223

zim223 New Member

Yeah I'm just going to shoot my rifles left handed with iron sights and with scopes right handed or maybe even scopes on the left I getting pretty good left handed went shooting today and I used a couple of my rifles and my friends scoped 30-06 and I did really good so I guess im just going to be a left handed shooter with rifles and right hand shooter with pistols lol