any idea of the crush resistance of aluminum foil?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by mountainman13, Aug 7, 2012.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol. I know its random. And I wouldn't suggest this to anyone but I'm thinking of shimming the bolt head of my enfiled with .002, .004 and .006 thicknesses of foil to see which one it takes to get the headspacing to the point of being able to extract the fired cases before I go buy a steel shim.

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You could buy a cheap steel feeler gauge and cut that for your shims.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Not a bad idea. I may do that if I don't find a better option. Thanks

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Go to a hobby store they will have very very thin brass, copper , stainless, aluminum, sheets that you can cut your own, I think they are 4" X 8" , I used to get them for 2 stroke head gaskets/ base gaskets and cut my own to get the compression down ,

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Cool I'll check that out.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Okay, My old-timer's is kicking in. Don't ask me the name of what I am trying to describe....

For engine rebuilding, there is a material used to measure clearance of bearings and mains of a crankshaft. They are placed in the bearing slot and the crank is torqued to specs. Then the crank is removed and the material is then measured to give you correct bearing size needed.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Plasti-gauge :)

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Thanks. I think that might work better for the OP than aluminum foil.

9. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

A small piece of pure lead (about half the size of a grain of rice) will work just fine. Swage the lead between the bolt face and case head, remove and measure, it will give you an accurate measure of your current headspace.

Jim.......

10. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

I'd go with the plati-gauge its very accurate

11. GetBulletsandBrass

GetBulletsandBrass New Member

Plenty of good suggestions.......but what is the crush resistance of aluminum foil? I'm curious to know if anyone is going to attempt to figure this out.

12. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

If you are thinking about using aluminum foil for shimming, don't, it won't work. Too soft.

Jim..........