Any gun companies in America still make 12 or 20 Gauge Lever-Action Shotguns?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by HunterMarksman338, Dec 19, 2010.

1. HunterMarksman338

HunterMarksman338 New Member

The other day I fired for the first time an old model Winchester 1887 and it was very smooth... I loved it. Does anyone in here appreciate this style of long gun still?

Too bad there is no gun company in America that still make lever-action shotguns.

2. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Aren't those the, "I'll be back" guns? :D

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

There is a reason they don't make them anymore. They weren't too reliable, and very susceptible to wear. Also, try wingshooting and working the lever. Much better suited to Hollywood stunts and blanks, just like pistol grip only short pumps blazed away with by 107 pound chicks.

4. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I’ll have to disagree with you on this Virginian. I love my 1887 and found it to be very reliable and accurate. Would I use it for bird hunting, sure but then I don’t put up 4 or 5 rounds and hope a bird flys through the “flack”. I tend to aim and shoot and I usually hit the bird I’m aiming at so I don’t really need to worry about aiming and levering at the same time. But on that note I do use mine in cowboy action shooting and don’t have a problem shooting double taps with her. Now to be fair I have sent mine out for a action job to smooth it out and put a two round block in for rapid reloading but that’s for playing the CAS game. As she was she was very accurate and fun as hell to shoot.

Attached Files:

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I haven't seen the movie in so long,but I do recall seeing him put a bunch of holes in the other terminator with something like that.I wouldn't want one,I can already feel my fingers pinching in that lever handle trying to shoot fast,but to each his own,if someone likes them that's cool.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ummmm- I'll take NO for $500...........;)

Last I recall was either the Winchester or Marlins that were made in .410. To buy one of those now requires all your spare cash, a pint of blood, and your firstborn child.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

8. HunterMarksman338

Ooooo..... nice Buffalo Arms, thanks for that link! I never even heard of this company.

Going with what Dzscubie said, I was putting slugs through it and the target from quite a bit of distance and it just felt smooth when I shot it.

9. c3shooter

Sorry Jon- Buffalo is a stocking dealer, not a manufacturer.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats what i figured by the amount of stuff they sell. but i couldnt find anything on where they get their repro guns from. i would prolly be a bit leary about using a repro for a serious hunting arm. especially at a price point that is pretty low like 497$. no clue where they are made.

to the OP i would call em and ask who makes their repros before you buy one.

11. c3shooter

Jon- Here is a hint- chopsticks.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

damn!! i already had that 500$ spent on an AR upper too :(

13. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Mine was made in China by Norinco but that does not mean it is a piece of junk. The first 1887’s that were made in China did have problems and were a nightmare to shoot, however over the past two years their quality control has improved drastically and they are turning out a pretty good product. Actually, I am looking to buy one of their coach guns for my CAS for when I don’t want to use my 1887.

Scubie

14. HunterMarksman338

Shoot..... the thing is I have a huge problem with buying anything that is made in commieland. The majority of the stuff I own is from companies who production is based here in the states. Thank God for the internet because no store in my town carries them.

Especially when it comes to arms... guns or melee weapons alike. I'm eyeballing the Puma shotgun, at least theirs is made in Italy.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

a lot of the european shotguns are made in turkey. especially the lower end ones. however this doesnt mean they suck. the cz side by sides are one of the better double barreled shotguns that are affordable and made in turkey. to get a better double you gotta go hunting for an old winchester or go to conneticut shotguns prices for those start around 10K$

pesonally im not a fan of chicom arms. ive had a few norinco guns and wasnt happy. but mileage varies some folks like em some dont. but for affordable repros you can beat on, it MIGHT be a good deal. i dont know. i just came across that after a quick websearch.

16. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I do not put up flack and hope for the best, and I do get a little extra thrill out of dropping a double or even a triple on a covey rise or out of a passing flight of doves - where only three shots are allowed anyway. I have gotten a triple on ducks - but not lately.
    I have shot a little CAS with a SxS or a pump, and a double tap on stationary targets is child's play by comparison.
    Except for CAS, where dresss up and playing the whole game are big, there would be ZERO lever action shotguns available.
    Tumbleweed Ninja?

17. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I am sorry if you think I inferred that you put up several rounds and hoped a bird would fly into it as that was not my intent. What I was trying to say was that shooting on the fly with a lever was not really any different to me than using a pump just a different action and though a little slower than a pump with a little practice you can be just a fast.

Now I will disagree that the only use of the lever action shotgun is only for CAS and that if it were not for CAS than there would be no use for it. I have had people ask where I got mine and most has never seen one and when they did many said they would like one.

Now would you please explain the “tumbleweed Ninja” comment to me? Are you insinuating that I don’t know what I’m talking about and that I’m a “armchair commando” with no experience? I would really like to know what you mean with that comment.

Scubie

18. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Too bad you guys didn't mentiom .410, Marlin made a lever action in .410
    Anyhow who needs lever-action when there is Saiga?

19. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Thing I don't like about their Coach Guns is on the side where it say : Use Lead Ammo ONLY