Any good for in the car locked in the trunk.

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by PaBushMan, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

personally i'd pass on that. it's made of thin gauge sheet metal. a large screwdriver or crowbar could defeat it in about a minute at most.

get something with thicker walls and a better locking system that requires a key.

PaBushMan likes this.

2. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I agree, The low price was attractive.

Dallas53 likes this.
  3. Dallas53

i have one like this mounted inside the toolbox on my truck for keeping my pistol in when i'm in places i can't legally carry. little more expensive, but it works much better. mine may be different brand, but pretty much identical. i got mine at WalMart or Office Depot several years ago.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Al...B&visitor_id=Y2nUipneY_WYTpN7wuuNRQ#read-more

4. PaBushMan

Cool i like it. Was also thinking about a small steel took box with a lock ring on the latch.

Dallas53 likes this.
  5. Dallas53

you just need find what will work for your vehicle.

mine is about 10"x12"x4" and has the key lock on top of the lid as shown. it's large enough to keep a full sized pistol in the holster, with a couple of extra magazines or speedloaders and a box of extra ammo.

it was actually made for a cash box for an office, but it works quite well for my purposes. mine is mounted to floor of my bed mounted toolbox on my truck. so a thief would have to defeat two locks to steal my pistol.

6. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that box. But if you bolt it down will you be able to access the combination easily....let's say if in a hurry? I have one similar with a keyed lock. Wired to the seat support it sits nicely out of sight behind the passenger seat of my truck. It would also fit under the seat if needed. The key stays on my key ring. I think as long as it is out of sight it will do what it is suppose to in securing the gun. Unless someone knows where to look for it and carries a tool to get into it you should be alright.

Dallas53 likes this.
  7. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I have 4 of these, one permanently mounted to each vehicle. https://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-P...03-20&linkId=17def60a9d12b9f8038da6752e908e53 are large enough to lock up a full size 1911 or a GP100. I generally carry either 2 Ruger LCRX, both 3 and 1 7/8 inch, or a Ruger RAPc and a LCPII. This safe will hold either set of firearms.

They are heavy gauge metal and are pry resistant, edges are recessed and the hinges are internal. There are multiple latches, 3 if i recall correctly. When unlocked, the door will spring up, making the contents easy to access.

I got mine as a gift 3 maybe 4 Christmases ago. Good strong car safe. I would recommend rhem.

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

I don't get combination locks. It takes about 2 hours to brute force find the combination.

I have the thin metal key lock. But some bolt cutters can snap the cable. So bolting it down would work.

But why trunk?

9. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I think combination locks are good on safes. But I prefer a key. I will not buy a flat key though. Too easy to open. I understand the old adage that locks only keep out an honest man and all locks have fallacys, but i was shown years ago how to open flat key locks with just a paperclip. I can open more than 1/2 the flat key locks i have tried in just a minute or two.

Dallas53 likes this.
  10. Minorcan

Minorcan Active Member

Ummmm ... I just stopped going in places that wouldn’t let me carry. They don’t need my business anyway.

Dallas53 likes this.
  11. PaBushMan

I made one from a steel ammo box. It's only for when i go into federal buildings. In the trunk its out of sight out of mind.

AZdave and Dallas53 like this.
  12. Dallas53

for the most part, i have to agree with this 100%, but the very few places, such as the Post Office or other federally restricted places i can't carry, in the lock box it goes.

if a business fears my gun, so much that they feel it should be prohibited, then they must fear my money as well!

13. Dallas53

Greg_r brings up a great point. locks only keep honest people honest. any security device or lock box can be defeated if a thief has the tools and the time. and the more time and effort it takes to steal what might be in that lock box, makes it less attractive to the casual thief looking for a quick and easy score.

14. 762

762 Active Member

it would be good if you wanted to fly with a firearm. you can lock it and then cable it to the metal frame inside the suitcase.

15. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I do not patronize private businesses that prohibit firearms. Unfortunately my job takes me to government buildings on a regular basis. Can't carry there.

Dallas53 likes this.