Any experience with light/ultra light barrels

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ams556, Apr 2, 2014.

1. ams556

ams556 New Member

I am thinking about building an AR for my girl, but her major complaint about mine is the weight. With a DD S2W CHF 18" barrel I can easily cut some weight with a 16" and a standard cut barrel.

But I saw a couple ultralight Profile barrels that seemed to really cut down on the weight. Wondering if anyone has any experience.

2. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

I have a Noveske 16" light weight barrel and I love it. You can absolutely tell the difference. A light weight barrel with a light weight key mod rail system is the way to go IMO. If she has smaller hands, I think she'd like the key mod rail system. I have small hands, for a guy, and I can get my entire hand around the rail. Big plus for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

Most of the parts guys have a "pencil" barrel. I built one as a super light rifle with no frills, weighs 6.1 pounds however the lighter you go the more recoil you will have, make sure your girl can deal with that. If you start to add things like a rail or red dot weight will climb quickly.
    Forgot to add a light weight can be super accurate but will heat much faster.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  4. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Had one once, and I couldn't tell any difference in recoil. I noticed the weight difference. If you are not shooting a lot of ammo in a short time, they can be a real advantage, but they have a greater potential for cook-offs if you shoot a lot of rounds in a shorter period of time.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My Colt Gov't Carbine hs a light weight barrel and will still shoot sub MOA

6. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

Like Robocop said, because it is light weight does not mean it is inaccurate. As for "cookoff's" has anyone in the sport shooting category ever experienced one? A normal shooting experience will allow for cooling between shots, squirting mag after mag can produce sufficient heat to cause the rifle to double however that type of shooting is inconsistent with hunting or target shooting.

7. ams556

ams556 New Member

I was wondering this as well. I can't see it being a issue with a SA maybe a FA it would be a concern.

8. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I have experienced cookoff on two different occasions. Once when I was active duty Army and the other when I was bump firing. You have to put a LOT of rounds downrange to make it happen.The dedicated machine guns are open bolt for that reason. I can't afford enough ammo to bump fire any more so it's not an issue with me anymore.

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Lighter weight ARs are my preference. And in building I'll generally lean more toward the pencil profile barrels. They're durable and more than equal to the rigors 99% of AR owners would think of subjecting them to. Unless we're talking about a special purpose rifle, I consider 7lbs to sort of be the 'vanilla' weight for a utility AR. And it's easy enough to be a little lighter than that without breaking the bank. Keep in mind that balance is every bit as critical as overall weight. Many 8lb rifles can feel as if they're 10+lbs due simply to being so front-heavy. If the barrel is pulling the front end down, it's going to feel heavy.

Many entry level ARs are actually quite light. Something like an M&P Sport will weigh in around 6.5lbs and set you back under $700. And it'll probably be plenty sufficient.

For higher end stuff, PSA ($700-1000), BCM ($1200), Daniel Defense ($1400), and Noveske ($1500-2500) offer really good light profile barrels. Prices are for the complete rifle, of course.

This is my light weight...pencil profile BCM 14.5" middy, 6.5# with optics and all. And it runs like a champ:

Attached Files:

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have a light weight profile 14.7 middy , it seems to have that perfect balance for me .
    [​IMG]

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I have a DD CHF 16" pencil (LW) profile barrel. Also BCM and PSA pencils. They shave off around 4 oz off the standard government profile. They're very light and balance well so I recommend them for most people. You really don't want weight out front unless you have a real good reason.