Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,503 Posts
I learned on a single shot bolt action .22. The gun was 30+ years old when I first shot it. My cousin still has it though it may be 40 years since it was fired.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
I did, one of those cheap Rossi guns with switchable barrels. I had the .410 and .22. Killed lots of squirrels with it. Still have it somewhere

·
Premium Member
14,136 Posts
I like single shots. I have 3 rifles and 1 shotgun. I used to load pointy bullets for my son's single shot 30-30. You can load a Ruger #1 or #3 45-70 to within 200 fps of a 458 Winchester Magnum. I have not tried it yet but you can load 125 grain .308 pointy boolits in a 357 magnum by using a sabot. Over 2000 fps without pushing the pressure. Perfect for a single shot.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Used an old Brazilian made CBC 20 gauge breakopen shot gun to learn (kind that were sold at Kmart amd Sears stores for years)

·
Premium Member
5,503 Posts
I learned on a single shot bolt action .22. The gun was 30+ years old when I first shot it. My cousin still has it though it may be 40 years since it was fired.
Checked with my cousin. The gun was given to his Dad 1922. I was the last one who fired it in about 1975. I was also the last one who cleaned it, about 1975. I told him to have a gunsmith check it before he shoots it.

·
Premium Member
11,829 Posts
Yes, a Sears single shot .22.

Reactions: 1911NUT

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Ithaca model49 lever action 22. My dad gave it to me when I was 7. First gun.

Reactions: 1911NUT

·
Supporting Member
11,790 Posts
I sure did!

H&R 20 Ga. Single Barrel Shotgun
Springfield Bolt Action Single Shot 22LR. Rifle with Iron Sights.

Reactions: Rex in OTZ

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few years back Id bought a brand new H&R single shot 3" 12ga w fc.
As I remember it cost $89
It was a blemished store demonstrator that had a scratched stock and no box.
For $89 I was not complaining! :D
I touch-up painted the scratch (black painted stock)
And gifted it to my brother.

I have a bolt action 20ga Id picked up for less than $40 that needed a mag and butt plate and had some worn finish that the replacement mag only holds a single round.
I guess I could carry one in the chamber to make a 2 shot.
I bought it for snow shoe hunting outta town for rabbit and ptmargan and figured a worn finish was ok.
She shoots great!

·
Banned
4,353 Posts
Yup! Shot my first pheasant with a 16 gauge single shot break-open Stevens. Still have my Winchester Model 67A single shot .22 rifle.
First year deer hunting I used that 16 gauge. Missed a six-point whitetail buck and then watched him run off only to get whacked by one of my uncles with a semi-automatic Remington 740 in .30-06 caliber.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Learned with a single shot bolt action 22 LR .
My first hunting gun was a single shot bolt action "Westernfield" .410 , used it for 6 years untill I moved up and got a used SxS 12 gauge double ....two whole shots ! Next a Ruger 10-22 , load it on Sunday and shoot it all week !
My Daddy had a rule...make the first shot count !
I could do just fine hunting with a single shot...always wanted a Ruger #1 or Sharps falling block...just make the first one count !
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Dad started me with single shots - .22 bolt and .410 bolt. Started my son with .410 topper, .22 bolt and cut-down .45 percussion when he turned 7. Started loading .410 two and a half inch shells the next year. He could only go shooting when he had loaded enough shells.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I started off with a Baikel air rifle then a BSA Meteor Super air rifle. A lot of Sparrows and Starlings didn't like that plus I got my 1st rabbit with the BSA with a head shot. I learnt to stalk with that air rifle on rabbits. My 1st powder burner was a 5 shot Stirling .22 B/A.

I now have my f-I-l's Lithgow 1949 single shot .22 with open sights that I use now and again at the range. I also have a SMLE 1945 .303 fullwood that I use shooting out to a mile with the battle sights.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Yup. I learned to shoot a rifle on my dad's Walther Model 2. It has a nifty action, looks like a bolt-action, and, if you use it like a bolt, that's what it is. But if you leave the bolt handle horizontal, it's a semi-auto five shot repeater. I started off with it as a single-shot b/a, then a five-shot b/a, then, when I could earn some money doing stuff for neighbours, as a semi. I still have it.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Although this is in the shotgun section, I was started with a single shot bolt action Remington model 514 .22 rifle when I was big enough to hold it up to aim. By the time I was 6, I was trusted enough to keep it in my room, and take it to go groundhog/squirrel/rabbit hunting, or if a fox or stray dog got after my mom's laying hens. I firmly believe a person that is taught with a single shot will be a better game shot than if they had been started with a repeater such as a semiauto. They KNOW they only have 1 shot, so they'll have the perfect shot before ever pulling the trigger.

I taught my own kids with single shot .22s (Chipmunk & Marlin 15Y), and have taught too numerous to count kids over the years as instructor. When my son carried his rifle after tagging along with me squirrel hunting, I carried the .22 ammo, and when he not only spotted the squirrel, but also showed me he had a safe shot with backstop (tree or hill), I'd hand him 1 .22 LR round. He got 4 squirrels with 4 shots his very 1st hunt. My daughter same thing but she was using my favorite 7mm08 (hers since then), she got 2 deer with 2 clean, 1 shot, drops.

My most useful & deadly firearm for hunting after I started getting more firearms was a Savage model 24 DL chambered in .22 mag over 20 ga. If I saw something sitting, the .22 mag (with solid or FMJ on edible small game, HP for coons, groundhogs, and varmints) would be used when sitting still. If it took off running or flying the 20 ga barrel would be used. I would still have those guns if not for the house fire.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts